Kings sign Dedmon 3 years 40 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he isn't. He's an average combo guard best fit to play in europe or the g-league. Bogi has far more natural talent.
I won't argue that as it stands, but Vlade sees them in a similar way in the sense of being a combo G. They have similar skills. Now whether or not he's as good at those skills as Bogdan is TBD.

Pts for bogi is what you have to look at when he dribbles the ball for 16 seconds then heaves a shot. He only get 3 ast in those 27 min. Below average defense. Am I missing something he is doing? I have seen every game.
3.8 assists is closer to 4 than to 3 and it was the second best on the team. but anyway, hopefully we get a backup pg to round out this free agency

I'm not following your logic here. So Vlade should acquire less talented players that are ok with playing limited minutes so the Kings have a better shot at making the playoffs?
There’s only so many minutes to go around and team chemistry can be fragile. I’d rather not force log jams and potentially weaken our locker room.

The move here should be a salary dump for a future pick. It fills out the roster, doesn’t hurt the balanced minute distribution we’d have right now, and gets us a future asset in the process.

PG - Fox (32 min) / Ferrell (16 min)
SG - Hield (30 min) / Bogdan (18 min)
SF - Barnes (28 min) / Bogdan (8 min) / Ariza (12 min)
PF - Bagley (28 min) / Ariza (8 min) / Bjelica (12 min)
C - Dedmon (24 min) / Giles (24 min)

Fox - 32 min
Hield - 30 min
Barnes - 28 min
Bagley - 28 min
Bogdan - 26 min
Giles - 24 min
Dedmon - 24 min
Ariza - 20 min
Ferrell - 16 min
Bjelica - 12 min

Pts for bogi is what you have to look at when he dribbles the ball for 16 seconds then heaves a shot. He only get 3 ast in those 27 min. Below average defense. Am I missing something he is doing? I have seen every game.
No, it’s not. It should be one of many things you look at.

There’s only so many minutes to go around and team chemistry can be fragile. I’d rather not force log jams and potentially weaken our locker room.

The move here should be a salary dump for a future pick. It fills out the roster, doesn’t hurt the balanced minute distribution we’d have right now, and gets us a future asset in the process.

PG - Fox (32 min) / Ferrell (16 min)
SG - Hield (30 min) / Bogdan (18 min)
SF - Barnes (28 min) / Bogdan (8 min) / Ariza (12 min)
PF - Bagley (28 min) / Ariza (8 min) / Bjelica (12 min)
C - Dedmon (24 min) / Giles (24 min)

Fox - 32 min
Hield - 30 min
Barnes - 28 min
Bagley - 28 min
Bogdan - 26 min
Giles - 24 min
Dedmon - 24 min
Ariza - 20 min
Ferrell - 16 min
Bjelica - 12 min
I say sign the best guys possible and let the chips fall where they may. If the team is much better with Beverly out there, and Bogie isn't happy, then put Bogie on the trading block. If Ariza isn't happy, do the same with him.

Do you really want to go through another season with the Yogi/Bogie tandem off the bench? The lack of playmaking from the bench cost us games last year. It needs to be fixed if the Kings are serious about a playoff run. If someone isn't happy, then either play better or pack your bags but this team is no way in a situation where they should pass up on talented players to stroke any fragile egos.

Last edited:
Bogi took exactly twice as many shots as Barnes yet they averaged the same ppg. Think about that for a sec
you have a bad stat source :), you have to switch! according to basketball reference Barnes averaged 11 FG attempts per game with Kings and Bogdan averaged 12 FG attempts per game. But yes, Bogdan did have a bad shooting season.

Is pts the only thing you look at when it comes to value on the floor?

Again, if you’re dropping the mins to 18-20 for Bogdan and Beverley, dropping Ariza to 13 mins, & Bjelica to 10 min, you could begin to have some guys start to complain about their minutes. It can become a distraction. It’s happened before and it can happen again.
I have never worried about minutes for players. They will get the minutes they deserve based on how well they play. If they are unhappy about their minutes, play better. As for complaining about minutes, I have found there are 2 solutions. First is to win games. Winning almost always keeps everyone happy. Second is to get rid of players causing problems. If someone is causing too much turmoil in the locker room, trade them or cut them.

I’m not lying when I this, I was on the board last year and there was 1 specific Dallas fan who absolutely hated Luka Doncic. He was very ignorant and racist. He argued with everyone there all the time, talking about over 100 pages of argument fueled from his idiocracy. He would say things like “Luka would never make it into the NBA because like all Europeans, he’s an inferior athlete to Americans.” “Luka is going to bust like Darko because he’s a European.” “If he played in college, he wouldn’t even average over 10ppg because he’s so inferior to American athletes.” “People only like Luka because he’s white.” The guy said a ton more awful things I can’t think of off the top of my head, but somehow through all of it... he never got banned. Like wtf? They would “issue warnings” that never went anywhere while he just continued to spew his BS literally creating over a hundred pages of everyone telling him he needs to STFU. He would come back every week and repeat the same sentiments and get everyone riled up again. The modding there is freaking horrific.

Realgm sucks...
Reminds me of a kings fan who used to post on the Kings espn forum. I think a lot of them ended up on realgm. This guy would throw a wrench in game threads with countless posts like those ones described if the Kings had too many white guys on the floor. Man, I wish those forums were still around when Jimmer and Nik were drafted.

I say sign the best guys possible and let the chips fall where they may. If the team is much better with Beverly out there, and Bogie isn't happy, then put Bogie on the trading block. If Ariza isn't happy, do the same with him.

Do you really want to go through another season with the Yogi/Bogie tandem off the bench? The lack of playmaking from the bench cost us games last year. It needs to be fixed if the Kings are serious about a playoff run. If someone isn't happy, then either play better or pack your bags but this team is in no way in a situation where they should pass up on talented players to stroke any fragile egos.
It’s one thing to simply “pass up on talent” as you put it. It’s another thing to make sure your current assets don’t depreciate in value while also collecting a future asset in the process. Disgruntled players lead to lower trade value. Protect our assets.

Besides, this is probably my biggest gripe with their approach in general. Going all in to make the playoffs. The West is absolutely stacked, and I think we’re going to come up short yet again this summer. I’m having a hard time seeing us beat out:

Warriors
Nuggets
Jazz
Blazers
Rockets
Thunder
Spurs
Lakers

Then you have the other teams that will likely be right there too:

Clippers (if they get Leonard, then they are in the top group)
Mavericks
Pelicans (depending on how Zion looks)
Wolves (were only 3 games back from us)

We should have played the long game with our cornerstones being 20 & 21. Instead we sold the majority of our cap space for win now talent (29-34 years old). We should have continued to build up the asset pool with our cap space and waited for some of these other vet heavy teams to fall off.

I’ve disagreed with a lot of Vlade’s decisions:

- Drafting Bagley over Doncic
- Not trading WCS last offseason/trade deadline for value
- Trading for Barnes over Porter
- Not making the deal for Crabbe/#17
- Not making the deal for Warren/#32
- Drafting James, Guy, & Vanja

We’d roughly have a team core of Fox, Hield, Bogdan, Doncic, Porter, Warren, Giles, #17, #32, #40, #47, #60, & the assets we got from trading WCS.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20 but these have all been moves that I was in favor of doing at the time. We’re just getting to a point where we’re saying “we believe the core we have is good enough.” And Id respond by saying who cares if you think it may be good enough. You had a real opportunity to add more assets to this young group and really set our team up for developing multiple stars or trading assets for an established star.

I can rationalize the direction they have chosen and I know the majority of fans don’t care all that much about a championship path and just want their teams to be good now (no matter if t hurts their chances later down the road). I get it, and I sympathize with the fans. We’ve had a long playoff drought, but we were in a very good position heading into last years draft and I think we have just capped our ceiling as a team unless we are fortunate enough to land a great player with one of our future picks.

I hope I’m wrong, but these moves felt more like checkers vs. chess to me.

Having said that, I think these moves make us better next year, and putting the GM mindset aside for a second, the fan in me is excited to watch the team next year.

I like the signing. He can shoot the ball efficiently, plays consistently, and knows his role. This is already a plus over Willie. He can't move his feet like Willie, even though it didn't seem to make a huge impact for us last year. That being said, Dedmon is a fairly mobile big guy.

Probably that he still doesn't think of himself as a center. Remember, he's a 7 foot guard. If that's true we will see if Steve Kerr can bring that out of him finally.
All yucks aside, a 7 foot guard would be able to hit the 3. He doesn't want to or can't develop an outside shooting game, which is a requirement in the modern NBA yet he also doesn't want to maximize the skills he does have for the value it adds.

The best thing for me here is that the outgoing guy basically said "I wasn't doing the job but the new guy will be great at it". Sweet. I hope he's right! Can't wait to see what Dedmon brings in an actual game.

Status
Not open for further replies.