Kings sign Cory Joseph

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well that's what people were willing to give us for him anyway so no big loss imo.
teams are getting second rounders at the very minimum for players they are losing so it's not too far fetched to believe he could get the Kings something back they can put to use

What site are you using for your stats? Seems like we're getting different numbers. NBA.com is showing Yogi/Bogi at a -0.3 net rtg which still isn't as bad as I thought it was. Here are the 2 man lineups that played at least 500 min together. People hate Willie but he was part of most of our best 2 man lineups. Also not that it means a ton but Cory Joseph is in the top 2 lineups if you switch the team over to the Pacers.

https://stats.nba.com/lineups/advanced/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season&TeamID=1610612758&GroupQuantity=2&sort=NET_RATING&dir=1&CF=MIN*G*500

CoJo has had a VORP between 0.5 and 1.0 for like 6 years straight. His defensive box plus/minus in that span is always somewhere between good and very good. The only players on the team with a negative VORP were Ferrell, Koufos, McLemore, Skal and Mason. Ferrell played twice as many minutes as the next closest in Koufos. He had plenty of time to play better and just didn't. He also didn't facilitate very well. So he comes in and it causes Bogie to be the primary handler and now he can't even use his main skill (shooting) as well as he should because he doesn't have a guy that's good enough to pass him open frequently and he doesn't have the skills to get his own shot very often. Top it off with his defense, which like you said, isn't IT or Mason level but it isn't CoJo level either.....and now you have a player who just isn't very effective on this team.

Last year CoJo was something like 4th in DRPM and Ferrell was 88th or so. I just think in our specific situation, he's a better fit. I would have rather had Satoransky at 30mil over 3 years but that didn't happen so I'm ok with Joseph even if he's overpaid. I think it'll show when the season starts and he covers up for a lot of the negatives that Yogi isn't capable of covering.
The stats you posted include every other combination on the floor with them. My stats are looking at Ferrell & Bogdan on the court when they are the PG & SG (so when Fox, Hield, & Mason are off the floor). So essentially I'm excluding the lineups that force Bogdan to swing up to SF (usually when Fox or Hield are on the floor).

I'm not a big fan of BPM or VORP (which relies on BPM). I do prefer to look at RAPM & RPM however, as I think they do a better job accounting for variables.

You mentioned Ferrell's shooting is negated when Bogdan is playing with him because he doesn't "have a guy that's good enough to pass him open frequently." I don't think you're correct.

When Ferrell is PG & Bogdan is SG, this is how Ferrell's shooting fairs:
.623 TS%
.422 3PT%
5.2 3PA per36 min
70.4% of 3PTM were assisted

When Ferrell is on the floor without Bogdan, this is how Ferrell's shooting fairs:
.533 TS%
.308 3PT%
5.0 3PA per36 min
50% of 3PTM were assisted

So we're seeing that Ferrell gets slightly more 3PAs per 36 min with Bogdan and more of them are assisted (not to mention they are likely good looks considering he's knocking down 42.2% of them). All the data suggests your comment is DOA.

Then you have Bogdan who increases his AST% to 25.9 while dropping his TO Rate to 7.3 when they're a tandem. That's not too shabby. A 25.9 AST% is good for 36th among guards who played at least 30 games and 15 mpg and a 7.3 TO Rate is good for 23rd among guards who played at least 30 games and 15 mpg. It's not elite, but that's pretty good for a backup facilitator.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m the only one here, but I’m not so sure Joseph is much of an upgrade over Ferrell. He’s definitely not worth $9.3 mil/year more than Ferrell. That’s for sure.
Yogi is a huge defensive liability. Joseph does all the dirty work and is a good perimeter defender. Stinks offensively though haha.

Yogi is a huge defensive liability. Joseph does all the dirty work and is a good perimeter defender. Stinks offensively though haha.
I wouldn't say he's a huge defensive liability. We can have a conversation about this without having to go to the extreme of one side. I think he's fine guarding opposing team's backup PGs. He's smaller, yes, but he's pesky & a hard worker on that end of the floor.

I wouldn't say he's a huge defensive liability. We can have a conversation about this without having to go to the extreme of one side. I think he's fine guarding opposing team's backup PGs. He's smaller, yes, but he's pesky & a hard worker on that end of the floor.
I'm not go into a debate about a backup point guard haha. My friend is a Pacers fan and he said Joseph is legit on defense just stinks offensively. If we could only combine these two guys we'd have a player!

I'm not go into a debate about a backup point guard haha. My friend is a Pacers fan and he said Joseph is legit on defense just stinks offensively. If we could only combine these two guys we'd have a player!
I think Joseph is a better defender as well, but just because someone is better defensively, it doesn't mean the other player is a "huge defensive liability."

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Dude, stop embarrassing yourself. Slandering the organisation? Get a grip :rolleyes:

You missed the point again. And your hypocrisy knows no bounds, but you're so oblivious to it that spelling it out wouldn't help.
You're so inept that you can't articulate a point, or so dishonest that you're just blowing smoke. When you learn to use your words, spell it out and we'll discuss.

You're so inept that you can't articulate a point, or so dishonest that you're just blowing smoke. When you learn to use your words, spell it out and we'll discuss.

I'll spell it out for you, since you're too dense to get it. You're more than willing to give Ariza a pass for being disinterested on dysfunctional teams, but when it comes to WCS, it's all his fault, he's a cry baby, whaaa whaaa. You're a whiner and a hypocrite. I'm not even defending WCS, nor criticising Ariza, I was making the point that people here are applying double standards because it appeals to them when it comes to Ariza's poor play. It's silly. You went off the deep end because you had made all sorts of assertions about my position, based on a post that you apparently couldn't understand.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I dont see why there would be an argument

I do not have a problem with keeping Yogi anyway
So we have a defensive Backup PG and a 3 Pt shooter PG
Whats not to like?

From https://walterfootball.com/nbafreeagentsigninggrades.php
"
Kings sign G Cory Joseph (3 years, $37 million): F Grade
I'm not sure why people in the Kings' organization allowed Vlade Divac to make any decisions after midnight, local time. This news was announced at 12:19 a.m. Pacific, which would explain why the details of this contract are so horrid.

I wrote that I would've given the Knicks an "F" had the Reggie Bullock deal been for three years. Thus, I have no choice to issue that sort of a grade for this signing. Like Bullock, Cory Joseph projects to be a fine backup. He's not a bad player, but he's worth nowhere near $12 million per season. Sacramento could have signed a comparable player for half as much. I don't know what Divac was drinking when he made this signing, but it sounds like he was having a fun time.
"

Party-on Vlade! Serbian Brandy a little strong...

Derrick Rose signed a 2 year $15M deal with Pistons!