Kings Season Preview (RealGM)

Sacramento Kings are two seasons removed from the Western Conference playoffs in which they spent eight consecutive seasons contending against powerhouses like Dallas, Los Angeles, and San Antonio. The sellout streak of 354 straight games has come to an end, the team is void of any member from its glory years, and the Western Conference has only gotten better.

Still the Kings have reason to be optimistic even if it means asking for a couple more years of patience from its die-hard core of fans. Sure the team has lost more games than it’s won the last couple of years, but if the Maloof's have done one thing right, its been to trust the mind of general manager Geoff Petrie.

In seemingly under the radar moves, Petrie has filled his roster with a strong youth movement supplemented by veterans to show them the ropes. Think of those father-son games you used to play at the end of your sixth grade season, and that’s what the Kings have in practice every day.

The Kings were in no way a legitimate contender last season, finishing 38-44, so they ditched the lofty contract of Mike Bibby and the bipolar relationship with Ron Artest. Petrie received youth, draft picks, and expiring contracts, all with minimal obligations.

More flexibility could be just around the corner as the team holds the option on Quincy Douby, Shelden Williams, Bobby Jackson and Francisco Garcia. Additionally they can rid themselves of Mikki Moore’s final year with a clause that allows for a $2 million buyout. While the team is expected to make a push to resign Garcia, it provides a perfect circumstance for the Kings to evaluate the other two youngsters in Douby and Williams. They play well, they’ll likely get a contract extension, they don’t, and they start getting calls from FC Barcelona or Olympiakos.

Even better for the Kings, just two years from now Miller (still capable, but aging quickly), Abdur-Rahim, and Thomas, who collectively will make more than $52 million in the next two years, will be entirely off the books. One has to think that Petrie will find a way for at least one of these players to be perfect trade bait for teams looking for expiring contracts, ala Kwame Brown to Memphis for Pau Gasol.

Until then though, the Kings will use what firepower they have to stay competitive, develop their youth, and hope to play the spoiler role for some playoff bubble teams.

POSITION BREAKDOWN

POINT GUARD: Udrih, Jackson, Brown
Position Grade: B

The Kings inked Beno Udrih to a 5-year, $32.3 million deal this offseason which will solidify the starting position for the next few years. The acquisition of Bobby Jackson not only provides a backup for this season, but also leadership to both Udrih and potential future backup Bobby Brown. Brown was stellar in the Vegas Summer League and outplayed many of the league’s top-rated point guards including DJ Augustin and Mike Conley Jr. Jackson told the Sacramento Bee that he’s “made (his) money,” and after this season’s $6.1 million he will look for the veterans minimum for a couple seasons before turning to coaching. This could mean a cheap backup for Udrih for the next couple years, and an on-the-floor assistant for Coach Theus.

SHOOTING GUARD: Martin, Garcia, Douby
Position Grade B+

Along with Udrih the Kings have a long relationship ahead with Kevin Martin. Petrie signed him to an extension last offseason for 5 years, $55 million, well under the going rate for players of comparable talent like Andre Iguodala, Danny Granger, and Luol Deng, all making close to $80 million for 6 years commitment. He will be backed up by Francisco Garcia, a favorite of Theus’ who is in a contract year, and little used Quincy Douby. Douby did, however, play very well in the VSL averaging 22.3 ppg.

SMALL FORWARD: Salmons, Garcia, Grenne
Position Grade: B-

Want to know who the happiest man in the NBA was when Artest was traded? John Salmons. Salmons, who played like a beast when given the starting role throughout Artest’s suspensions and injuries, now becomes the full time replacement with help from Garcia and budding rookie Donte Greene. Greene outplayed even Douby in the VSL and was a surprise sensation. He is long, skilled, and should eventually take over the reigns from Salmons down the road. Greene being just 20 though gives Salmons a hold on the position for the next couple years.

POWER FORWARD: Moore, Thompson, Williams, Abdur-Rahim, Thomas
Position Grade: D+

The title of the position itself is an oxymoron to the highest degree. Moore, while energized, weighs little more than Shaquille O’Neal’s left leg. Abdur-Rahim is being fitted for a cane, and Thomas is being paid $8 million to lounge in seats that cost patrons over $40,000 a season. The good thing for Kings fans is none of these guys will be with the club in two years, and unless Williams’ fiancé rubs some talent off on him, he will be gone too. That leaves Thompson and…

CENTER: Miller, Hawes
Position Grade: B+

Hawes couldn’t ask for a better scenario. He learns from an All-Star center for a couple years, and then shortly thereafter takes over. I envision Hawes getting some starts at both the 4 and the 5 this year, and would expect to see Miller traded some time in the 2009-10 season.

SEASON PROGNOSIS

Western Conference Rank: 10th–12th
Pacific Division Rank: 4th-5th
Projected Record 40-42

Why they will finish over 38 wins:

These guys should play hard. Each and every one of them has something to prove and that is a rare circumstance that Petrie has managed to create. Whether its veterans trying to enjoy the glory of a couple last seasons before being reduced to minimal roles, highly touted youth vying to earn a spot in the rotation, or guys like Martin and Udrih assuring fans that their giant contracts were warranted, they all have justifiable reason to play with an edge. That edge is pivotal in overcoming deficiencies in overall team talent. Additionally, we should see this team progress, if only ever so slightly, and build around a core of Martin, Salmons, Udrih, and Hawes.

Why they will finish under 38 wins:

Without Bibby or Artest the Kings have no proven clutch performers. The closest to that is bench player Franciso Garcia, who has proven to be confident in the clutch. The team also is lacking talent in its prime. They are either developing or declining. At most, one can make an argument that only Martin and Salmons are in their prime. What’s more, the lack of steady post defense and horrendous rebounding will be a season-long issue. While the Kings hope Thompson, who was second in the NCAA in rebounding, will help, it is much more likely that they will again struggle.

What the GM’s thinking:

Here you have a 2008-09 season that allows the youth he’s handpicked to develop under an experienced core of veterans, who for the most part are a group of guys who actually want to teach. He adds some nice pieces with two first round picks in next year’s draft, and that leads into the 2009-10 season and, more importantly, the summer of 2010. Suddenly having the expiring contracts of Thomas, Abdur-Rahim, and Miller becomes a good thing. The Kings will hold some of the best trade bait that the league has to offer in those expiring contracts. Once summer hits in 2010 (currently the Kings are only contractually obligated to Udrih, Martin and Salmons at that time), the team can lure a trade or free agent move to bring a big name to town and partner up with Hawes and Martin to form a reckoning force in the West

http://kings.realgm.com/articles/178/20080825/royal_flush_2008-09_sacramento_kings_season_preview/

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Query: is this somebody semi-official? Or just one of those "have a fan of the team write a preview" things? If the latter, its odd how you will find that all 30 teams in the league make the playoffs every year according to their own fans' expectations.

Query: is this somebody semi-official? Or just one of those "have a fan of the team write a preview" things? If the latter, its odd how you will find that all 30 teams in the league make the playoffs every year according to their own fans' expectations.
I'm pretty sure they only post articles from REAL General Managers. Didn't you catch the URL? :p

Where in the article does it say they're going to make the playoffs? In fact, they even say they arent going to be contenders and are more likely a spoiler team for others who are on the playoff bubble. :rolleyes:

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
WOW-WOW-WOW!! a $2M buyout for Mikki's last year. How nice. Now if only JT or Shelden or .... can push Mikki out of the lineup.......... ;)

where did it say playoffs?

While I may agree that some aspects of the team can have biased base "over-hype" for lack of a better word lol but they never said we'd make the playoffs.

Anytime I see some positive insight on the team you're always quick to attack. I know you're right most of the time but is it always neccesary?

I agree that the writer overhypes us, and the analysis isn't the greatest, but its an article about the Kings. I figured we all could stand to do a little reading

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
where did it say playoffs?

While I may agree that some aspects of the team can have biased base "over-hype" for lack of a better word lol but they never said we'd make the playoffs.

Anytime I see some positive insight on the team you're always quick to attack. I know you're right most of the time but is it always neccesary?

The distinction is whether you introduce this as a piece with any authority (to whatever degree a national sportswriter type should actually be listened to as authority), or a piece that is essentially one of us going to the trouble of writing up a preview. It had several markers of a fan piece, and was from a name I did not recognize, and that is why I asked.

I think this is a pretty good analysis. Reassures me that we will at least be competative, and thats all i want. I do agree that the C position shouldn't get a B+...maby a C+, mainly because Hawes hasn't really broken out yet. If he does well this season the B+ might be warranted.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Hmmm......

PG B
SG B+
SF B-
PF D+
C B+

I tend to agree with all 5. Brad is better than many want to give him credit for, his defense not-withstanding. Hawes should get better every week. Beno is a B with BJax and Brown behind him. Kevin is an A- but Cisco and ?? are a B- at best. At SF, Salmons could produce an all-star type year if he reverts to his play during RonRon's absences last year and Greene is an unknown but could help backup Salmons in a few months. PF is the leak in the dike. Mikki a D+ is about right. Now if JT or Shelden can step up and bang .............. who knows what the rating can become in 2-3 months? Overall I can easily live with ratings. Their status in the west at #10 is about right and with some surprises and stepping up by the "kids" another 4-5 wins could be #8.

As long as progress is done with the "kids" any progress at #10 or above is acceptable this year. That's part of the excitement this year offers that we didn't have the past 2-3 years.

Wow I wrote up a nice analysis and somehow I was logged out during writing it.

Bricklayer, it's just 'some guy', which is why I had written what I lost.....:mad: