[Game] Kings @ Rockets - Saturday, Nov. 17 - 5:00 PM PT

Positives for the night is the Kings restored order to their Assist to Turnover ratio showing games like the Lakers and At Memphis are abberation for this group. The difference was the three ball and free throws. Kings just couldn’t get a stop. Rockets are a lot better. The game to get was last night and I think the Kings let that one slip. Hopefully they can keep treading water through these rough stretches

Fox, Buddy, Bogdan and Bagley played well.

WOW. Koz went head on into article posted here earlier... Was first word on post game. Says coach saw the article and will address it. Wow. I'm impressed. Wonder if they have an intern scanning these threads during games.
Wow. Vlade has put out a statement which they will read later.

The fact that it's taken up by the broadcast makes me think there is something too this and the Kings are attempting to persuade Joerger here. the issue is over Bagley and his lack of playing time, Joerger wanting to go with more vets vs. developing the pick.

It's definitely not beyond his talent level to guard Capela in the pick and roll. He has the length and the mobility. He's out to lunch because he hasn't been scoring. He's got to grow up and think about winning instead of his stat line. He's in his 4th year.

I was talking offensively and that's exactly what I meant. You have to take the good with the bad. I think of all players he should be beyond that and it shouldn't effect his energy level but he's given up huge numbers this season but it was easier to swallow because of what he got on the other end. I think his production has been somewhat inflated at times, but he's been no different than anyone. When the offensive opportunities aren't there he's faded. When they move away from pick and roll he suffers more than anyone.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You know what pisses me off...Joerger waived the white flag a while ago putting in Skal, Giles, Williams, Yogi and Frank and Dantoni keeps in Paul, Harden and other starters. I hope these guys are noticing this and we return the favor when they come to Sac.
Joerger wasn't in the wrong here. His starters weren't getting it done and they were getting annihilated on defense, might as well put some players in who will put forth the effort.

Wow. Vlade has put out a statement which they will read later.

The fact that it's taken up by the broadcast makes me think there is something too this and the Kings are attempting to persuade Joerger here. the issue is over Bagley and his lack of playing time, Joerger wanting to go with more vets vs. developing the pick.

Well if they are, check it out interns lol. Cut your big man rotation to more of a 3 man between Bjelica, Bagley, and Willie allowing those players to get larger chunks than 5-6 minutes stretches. Taking players out that quickly that are expected to account for a major part of your offensive output is ridiculous. Also check the stats between your wins and losses. See if anything stands out in particular.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Man, they’re going to have a hard time being even competitive in this stretch of games if WC$ and Bjeli continue like they have been.
WC$ has got to play like an $18 million player rather than a $1.8 million dollar player. He's so wrapped up in his offen$ive production that he's very poor defensively. This, from a guy whose best asset is his defense. I really think he saw $$$ when he had a few good offensive games, and then when it went downhill the rest of his game has suffered.

Joerger wasn't in the wrong here. His starters weren't getting it done and they were getting annihilated on defense, might as well put some players in who will put forth the effort.
I’m fine with what Joerger did. Dantoni was the assclown that left his starters in. Usually once the losing coach does this the opposing coach does the same. It was a douche move. We should’ve committed some hard fouls on Harden or Paul for staying out there so late with our deep bench.

dude12

Hall of Famer
WC$ has got to play like an $18 million player rather than a $1.8 million dollar player. He's so wrapped up in his offen$ive production that he's very poor defensively. This, from a guy whose best asset is his defense. I really think he saw $$$ when he had a few good offensive games, and then when it went downhill the rest of his game has suffered.
Lol....maybe he just got outplayed

It's really hard to tell though when the game is out of reach all ready and the opposition isn't even trying anymore. If Skal were to crack the rotation then that would tell us something but he hasn't and he is the garbage time player as of now.
This is a good point. I know some were miffed Houston left their starters in but TBH I don't think they were taking that 4th q all that seriously even from the start of it....

Joerger just said something I liked right before they asked him about the report;

He said our young guys are making our mark in this league, teams know they need to get back.

Reminds me of the infamous Ghandi (mis)quote;

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Seems like the Kings are making progress there :D

I know there will be some that say don't blame the refs, but I don' t give a ****. When you are not allowed to look at Harden cross-eyed, and he can slap your hands as you are going for a layup (how come you suck so much Bjelica can't you score even though Harden is hitting your hand), there is not way to win. Buddy and Fox get pummeled inside and nothing. oops, I think I just fouled Harden with these comments. Oh wait, I fouled both CP3 AND Harden. Each to shoot 3 free throws. until they make them.

I know there will be some that say don't blame the refs, but I don' t give a ****. When you are not allowed to look at Harden cross-eyed, and he can slap your hands as you are going for a layup (how come you suck so much Bjelica can't you score even though Harden is hitting your hand), there is not way to win. Buddy and Fox get pummeled inside and nothing. oops, I think I just fouled Harden with these comments. Oh wait, I fouled both CP3 AND Harden. Each to shoot 3 free throws. until they make them.
I am a don't blame the refs type of guy but tonight was clearly lopsided. I don't even care about the FT's for Houston, I just want when our players get hacked --- when someone slaps down over De'aarons shoulder from behind and down his entire torso -- for that to be called, is that too much to ask?!?

refs clearly got under the young kings skin more than usual too.

I hope he can force Coach’s hands with some minutes. Especially when WCS and Bjeli play like they played today.

I still think there’s something there with Skal.
As much as I would like to see him get time and play well, that would mean Willie and/or Belly not playing well. So, I would rather he spend time in Stockton.

Last edited:
I am a don't blame the refs type of guy but tonight was clearly lopsided. I don't even care about the FT's for Houston, I just want when our players get hacked --- when someone slaps down over De'aarons shoulder from behind and down his entire torso -- for that to be called, is that too much to ask?!?

refs clearly got under the young kings skin more than usual too.
Yeah that (uncalled) foul on Fox pissed me off. They were calling MUCH less of the same type of play on the other side. And yes, you are right, fine, don't give us the Harden calls, but when they are HACKED call a damn foul.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Houston's success is based on three things: 1) Getting an incredible amount of foul calls; 2) the pick and roll, and 3) the 3 point shot. The first two are their security blankets. If they think they can get a foul call whenever they want or the pick and roll whenever they want, then they have no pressure at all to hit their outside shots. With no pressure, the basket becomes as large as the Pacific Ocean. The way you can win against them is put your hands back (like the Spurs do) to prevent stupid fouls, and know how to defend their pick and roll. Then you take your chances with their 3 point shooting. The Kings allowed ALL THREE of the Rocket's strengths to be on full display tonight. In addition, the Rockets beat them in fast break points, in many cases with Capela running the floor. So the Rockets did everything they wanted and beat the Kings at their own game to boot.

Positives for the night is the Kings restored order to their Assist to Turnover ratio showing games like the Lakers and At Memphis are abberation for this group. The difference was the three ball and free throws. Kings just couldn’t get a stop. Rockets are a lot better. The game to get was last night and I think the Kings let that one slip. Hopefully they can keep treading water through these rough stretches

Fox, Buddy, Bogdan and Bagley played well.
These are likely our 4 main guys, and if they play well on a consistent basis, we'll be winning lot of games soon. With age, experience, and cohesiveness, they will only get better. A little help from some other pieces (Willie, Belly, Giles, Skal, JJ, Mason, Yogi), and we could be looking really good with lot of cap space to use.

One thing that does bother me a bit though is that these are 4 high usage, high shots guys. We need to fill around them with folks who can contribute without needing the ball. Willie is probably not that guy, with his desire to be an offensive force. I have a fear that someone will make him an outrageous offer this summer (so many teams will have cap space), and we'll be forced to match it (can't afford to let talent just walk away)

I think the main reason this team won't make the playoffs is because of the starting frontcourt.

7 points on 3/17 shooting and 11 rebounds between the 3 of them. Capela had 23/16 on his own... You can't be successful with Iman Shumpert, Nemanja Bjelica, and Willie Cauley-Stein as your frontcourt, especially with the latter two crashing down to earth.

If Bagley-WCS truly don't fit then it's time to flip WCS at the deadline, but if Bjelica is going to do so little then his seemingly better fit doesn't matter anyway.

I think the main reason this team won't make the playoffs is because of the starting frontcourt.

7 points on 3/17 shooting and 11 rebounds between the 3 of them. Capela had 23/16 on his own... You can't be successful with Iman Shumpert, Nemanja Bjelica, and Willie Cauley-Stein as your frontcourt, especially with the latter two crashing down to earth.

If Bagley-WCS truly don't fit then it's time to flip WCS at the deadline, but if Bjelica is going to do so little then his seemingly better fit doesn't matter anyway.
It's an opportunity for Bagley to step up, that's for sure. You got his agents calling out the coach, well then, step up young man. That's how you play that if you're Carmichael Dave. There's your hot take CD. You heard it here first.

This should bring the Kings back to Earth. We got ripped. Houston played a great inside/out game. We had no answer for Harden or Paul not to mention their bigs. The Kings went back to the tootsie roll pop defense, hard on the outside with a really soft chewy center. It was like watching lay-up drills by Houston. If you give up 110 points after 3 quarters, you not going to be in it at the end 90% of the time. Back to work on the defense.

Why does Bogdan now think he is going to break down the defense off the dribble every time he gets his hands on the ball? Mason likes it and so does Fox sometimes. This is a bad trend that needs to stop. Pass the ball.