Kings Playoff Standings Watch!!!

Tough luck for TWolves, Edwards out with bad looking ankle sprain for at least a couple weeks.....a big deal. The way he was writhing, it could be ~ 2 weeks. Kings play the Twolves in about 10 days......he might be ready, but I wonder.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
In the unlikely event the Kings, Suns and Memphis all wound up tied, do we fall to fourth by virtue of losing the tie-breaker with Phoenix, or is there a 3-way tiebreaker?

In the unlikely event the Kings, Suns and Memphis all wound up tied, do we fall to fourth by virtue of losing the tie-breaker with Phoenix, or is there a 3-way tiebreaker?
Copied directly from nba.com (Standings)...

TIEBREAKER BASIS FOR TWO-WAY TIES:
  • (-) Tie breaker not needed (better overall winning percentage)
  • (1) Head-to-head won-lost percentage
  • (2) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division
  • (3) Division won-lost percentage for teams in the same division
  • (4) Conference won-lost percentage
  • (5) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, own conference
  • (6) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, other conference
  • (7) Net Points, all games
TIEBREAKER BASIS FOR MULTI-WAY TIES:
  • (1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division
  • (2) Head-to-head won-lost percentage
Strength of Schedule:
Looks at the opponents for your remaining games, their winning percentage on the road or at home, and whether or not either team is on the second night of a back to back.

Ties for playoff positions (including division winners) will be broken utilizing the criteria set forth in subparagraph a. below (in the case of ties involving two teams) and subparagraph b. below (in the case of ties involving more than two teams), and the guidelines set forth in subparagraph c. below.
a. Two Teams Tied. In the case of a tie in regular-season records involving only two teams, the following criteria will be utilized in the following order:
  • (1) Better winning percentage in games against each other.
  • (2) Division winner (this criterion is applied regardless of whether the tied teams are in the same division).
  • (3) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if tied teams are in same division).
  • (4) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.
  • (5) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).
  • (6) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in opposite conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).
  • (7) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents (“point differential”).
b. More Than Two Teams Tied. In the case of a tie in regular-season records involving more than two teams, the following criteria will be utilized in the following order:
  • (1) Division winner (this criterion is applied regardless of whether the tied teams are in the same division).
  • (2) Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams.
  • (3) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if all tied teams are in same division).
  • (5) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).
  • (6) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents (“point differential”).
c. Guidelines For Applying Tie-Break Criteria. The following guidelines shall be used when applying the above criteria to break ties for playoff positions:
  • (1) (a) Ties to determine the division winners must be broken before any other ties.
  • (b) When a tie must be broken to determine a division winner, the results of the tie-break shall be used to determine only the division winner, and not for any other purpose.
  • (2) If a tie involves more than two teams, the tie-break criteria in subparagraph b. shall be applied in the order set forth therein until the first to occur of the following:
  • (a) Each of the tied teams has a different winning percentage or point differential under the applicable tie-break criterion (a “complete” breaking of the tie). In this circumstance, the team with the best winning percentage or point differential under the criterion will be awarded the best playoff position, the team with the next-best winning percentage or point differential will be awarded the next-best playoff position, and so on, and no further application of the tie-break criteria will be required.
  • -- OR --
  • (b) One or more (but not all) of the tied teams has a different winning percentage or point differential under the applicable tie-break criterion (a “partial” breaking of the tie). In this circumstance: (x) any team(s) that performed better under the applicable criterion than any other team(s) will be awarded a higher playoff position than such other team(s); and (y) teams that had equivalent performance under the applicable criterion will remain tied, and such remaining tie(s) will be broken by applying, from the beginning, the criteria in subparagraph a.(1)-(6) above (for any remaining tie involving only two teams) or subparagraph b.(1)-(5) above (for any remaining tie involving more than two teams) and the guidelines set forth in this subparagraph c.
  • (3) If application of the criteria in subparagraph a. or b. does not result in the breaking of a tie, the playoff positions of the tied teams will be determined by a random drawing.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Copied directly from nba.com (Standings)...

TIEBREAKER BASIS FOR TWO-WAY TIES:
  • (1) Head-to-head won-lost percentage
  • (2) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division
TIEBREAKER BASIS FOR MULTI-WAY TIES:
  • (1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division
  • (2) Head-to-head won-lost percentage
Strength of Schedule:
Looks at the opponents for your remaining games, their winning percentage on the road or at home, and whether or not either team is on the second night of a back to back.

Ties for playoff positions (including division winners) will be broken utilizing the criteria set forth in subparagraph a. below (in the case of ties involving two teams) and subparagraph b. below (in the case of ties involving more than two teams), and the guidelines set forth in subparagraph c. below.
a. Two Teams Tied. In the case of a tie in regular-season records involving only two teams, the following criteria will be utilized in the following order:
  • (1) Better winning percentage in games against each other.
  • (2) Division winner (this criterion is applied regardless of whether the tied teams are in the same division).
  • (3) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if tied teams are in same division).
  • (6) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in opposite conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).
  • (7) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents (“point differential”).
b. More Than Two Teams Tied. In the case of a tie in regular-season records involving more than two teams, the following criteria will be utilized in the following order:
  • (1) Division winner (this criterion is applied regardless of whether the tied teams are in the same division).
  • (2) Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams.
  • (3) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if all tied teams are in same division).
  • (6) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents (“point differential”).
c. Guidelines For Applying Tie-Break Criteria. The following guidelines shall be used when applying the above criteria to break ties for playoff positions:
  • (1) (a) Ties to determine the division winners must be broken before any other ties.
  • (b) When a tie must be broken to determine a division winner, the results of the tie-break shall be used to determine only the division winner, and not for any other purpose.
  • (2) If a tie involves more than two teams, the tie-break criteria in subparagraph b. shall be applied in the order set forth therein until the first to occur of the following:
  • (a) Each of the tied teams has a different winning percentage or point differential under the applicable tie-break criterion (a “complete” breaking of the tie). In this circumstance, the team with the best winning percentage or point differential under the criterion will be awarded the best playoff position, the team with the next-best winning percentage or point differential will be awarded the next-best playoff position, and so on, and no further application of the tie-break criteria will be required.
  • -- OR --
  • (b) One or more (but not all) of the tied teams has a different winning percentage or point differential under the applicable tie-break criterion (a “partial” breaking of the tie). In this circumstance: (x) any team(s) that performed better under the applicable criterion than any other team(s) will be awarded a higher playoff position than such other team(s); and (y) teams that had equivalent performance under the applicable criterion will remain tied, and such remaining tie(s) will be broken by applying, from the beginning, the criteria in subparagraph a.(1)-(6) above (for any remaining tie involving only two teams) or subparagraph b.(1)-(5) above (for any remaining tie involving more than two teams) and the guidelines set forth in this subparagraph c.
  • (3) If application of the criteria in subparagraph a. or b. does not result in the breaking of a tie, the playoff positions of the tied teams will be determined by a random drawing.
Qwerty I love you, that was a yes or no question and this is a wall of text :D

We play them in the last game which creates a 2 game swing. If we're one back at that time and win that game, we win the division (we'll have won the tiebreaker too). Three games back. If we're tied at that time, and we win, same result. If we're tied at that time and lose, we're second, same result as if we were one game back at that time.

We win tonight and we're half a game off of TWO GAMES BACK.

Folks I hate to break it to you but we are legitimately in the race to win the Western Conference. Nuts. Central Valley Almond Growers Association level nuts. That's a lot of nuts. Take the tour sometime.
One more thing. A Nuggets losing a game now nothing special, Kings losing a game - everybody immediately gets concerned ;)

Metu has shown flashes of defense , but too inconsistent. He has pretty good jump shot for his size. However he's pretty soft inside on defense. I think he can work on getting better on defense. which is more will-power driven. Would like to see Holmes get some minutes to spell Sabonis or Murray. I think he could work well with Monk on the pick-and-pop/roll. who likes playing that game. Holmes could probably move better without the ball.
Metus jumper is wack, he better not ever shoot another 3 as a King.

Ive been wait for Metus 3s to start dropping. His stroke looks good for a big lanky dude, but they just don't want to go in. Stats say he's a good defender, eye test doesn't. Im ready to move on and agree with other who said he's playing simply because we don't have anyone better.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We haven’t YET lost a tiebreaker to PHX. We play them one more time and can square up at 2-2.
There is in fact a very narrow path in which we can win a tiebreaker with Phoenix. We have to win both the Phoenix and Golden State games, and the Suns have to lose at least two of their remaining three with LAL, LAL, LAC. This would knock the Kings' magic number down to 3 or 2 with 18 combined games to play, meaning that there could be only one or two Kings wins/Suns losses in those 18 games for us to end in a tie. A very narrow path.

Unless Phoenix goes on a slide, ideally they split?
One of the questions with this is how much is homecourt to the Kings this year? This team has a shot at a franchise record in its initial 'butterfly- metamorphosis' season which in and of itself is remarkable. It could be just a statistical anomaly or indicative of better things to come, or I think it might be the serendipity of light injuries The team can tie the 2002 team's away record by going .500 in their last 6 away games,, and the 2002 was best in franchise history. This year they have beaten every team in the Western Conference at least once. No team will have swept them. So I would reply, homecourt is actually not worth quite as much to this particular team - it may not matter. Conversely take a look say ,the poor Warriors need homecourt like oxygen but most likely wont have it.

There's an extra double bond on the team with the Kentucky boys which I'm betting you're gonna see in the playoffs.....I didn't think the Kings were gonna top the 1st Nets game glory, but they did it - the Clippers game was the best of the decade, and I'd have to dig back really for years to find another candidate game even. And that thanks heavily to the 'Wildcat connection'. It'll be exceptionally difficult to top that win in the final 11 games, but who knows?

Back to here and now, the Kings are gonna have their hands full with the Jazz who looked really good beating the Celtics at home. But they can do it. Might as well rest Lyles and Huerter for healing.

There is in fact a very narrow path in which we can win a tiebreaker with Phoenix. We have to win both the Phoenix and Golden State games, and the Suns have to lose at least two of their remaining three with LAL, LAL, LAC. This would knock the Kings' magic number down to 3 or 2 with 18 combined games to play, meaning that there could be only one or two Kings wins/Suns losses in those 18 games for us to end in a tie. A very narrow path.
Or the KINGS could just maintain their 5 game lead as the ”ultimate” tiebreaker. ;)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
One of the questions with this is how much is homecourt to the Kings this year? This team has a shot at a franchise record in its initial 'butterfly- metamorphosis' season which in and of itself is remarkable. It could be just a statistical anomaly or indicative of better things to come, or I think it might be the serendipity of light injuries The team can tie the 2002 team's away record by going .500 in their last 6 away games,, and the 2002 was best in franchise history. This year they have beaten every team in the Western Conference at least once. No team will have swept them. So I would reply, homecourt is actually not worth quite as much to this particular team - it may not matter. Conversely take a look say ,the poor Warriors need homecourt like oxygen but most likely wont have it.

There's an extra double bond on the team with the Kentucky boys which I'm betting you're gonna see in the playoffs.....I didn't think the Kings were gonna top the 1st Nets game glory, but they did it - the Clippers game was the best of the decade, and I'd have to dig back really for years to find another candidate game even. And that thanks heavily to the 'Wildcat connection'. It'll be exceptionally difficult to top that win in the final 11 games, but who knows?

Back to here and now, the Kings are gonna have their hands full with the Jazz who looked really good beating the Celtics at home. But they can do it. Might as well rest Lyles and Huerter for healing.
My theory is that we haven’t received one of the traditIonal home court advantages (ie slightly biased officiating) and that by the playoffs it won’t matter the same so we definitely want it.

My theory is that we haven’t received one of the traditIonal home court advantages (ie slightly biased officiating) and that by the playoffs it won’t matter the same so we definitely want it.
? do you mean for playoffs it matters more.....not understanding the sentence completely.
I dont know, it seems more recently the Kings are getting benefit of calls on the whole whether home or away - games have been even/in favor. Contrast that to some earlier season games that were pretty tilted.

I think away record generally is a good indicator -being good away is the mark of a contender. Note - I'm interested in watching the Knicks as sort of the Kings sister team on the East. In the Playoffs Kings away game focus will certainly be more tested than ever, but they've passed the regular season test already guaranteed above .500 road even if they lose every remaining away game which is extremely unlikely.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
? do you mean for playoffs it matters more.....not understanding the sentence completely.
I dont know, it seems more recently the Kings are getting benefit of calls on the whole whether home or away - games have been even/in favor. Contrast that to some earlier season games that were pretty tilted.

I think away record generally is a good indicator -being good away is the mark of a contender. Note - I'm interested in watching the Knicks as sort of the Kings sister team on the East. In the Playoffs Kings away game focus will certainly be more tested than ever, but they've passed the regular season test already guaranteed above .500 road even if they lose every remaining away game which is extremely unlikely.
What I'm saying is that now the Kings are increasingly acknowledged as a good team, they are starting to get more favorable officiating, and come playoff time I think we'll see the home teams retain an edge. A number of our home Ls came early in the season too.

I just think there are some outliers that favor this team being a dominant home team in the near future and missing out on that in the playoffs is not "well we're great on the road, we can survive it" type of thing. Seeding matters for how teams are perceived as well.

What I'm saying is that now the Kings are increasingly acknowledged as a good team, they are starting to get more favorable officiating, and come playoff time I think we'll see the home teams retain an edge. A number of our home Ls came early in the season too.

I just think there are some outliers that favor this team being a dominant home team in the near future and missing out on that in the playoffs is not "well we're great on the road, we can survive it" type of thing. Seeding matters for how teams are perceived as well.
I'm not sure on perception influencing calls, but probably to a small degree. Yes of course home court is desirable. The next 11 games will dictate how long the Kings could have homecourt (if at all) in the playoffs. The Grizzlies are playing nearly as well without Morant. This is probably a good thing as it will force the Kings to play harder.