Kings playoff chances remote.

Given the way this event is structured I play Bazemore a ton against the Pels and I play Barnes time at PF. If we win, we keep going. If we lose that game I switch and play Bagley and Justin James big minutes to see what I have as your play off chances will be virtually zero.

Some games are better than none. Am I right that non playoff contenders are not invited? So that means all playoff contenders for 8 games?. If true than strength of schedule advantage we had going into the end of the season in reversed. So ya pretty slim chances.

It’s good for us regardless. I just hope the team uses the opportunity wisely. If we beat the Pels great keep going full steam ahead. If we lose we need to know going into the draft more what we have with James and Bagley.

Okay so here are the rules.... the teams will play 8 games with the key teams having the following schedule. You have to finish 8 or 9 to enter the play-in and then the 9th has to beat the 8th seed twice.
This system is LAME.

The Griz holding a 3.5 game lead on the 8th seed with only 8 games to play is a FAAAAARRRRRRRR greater advantage than a 3.5 game lead with 17 games still to play.

They essentially double their previous lead!!! How is that a fair system?

I get that whomever finishes 9th among will get up to 2 shots to take the 8th seed away from them, but still. Getting a huge lift toward being gifted the HUGE advantage of having to lose twice in a play in doesn't make any logical or mathematical sense.

If they are going to cut the season down to only 8 games, they need to re-adjust the Griz 8th place lead on 9th place by half. Rounding upward, it'd be 2 games, with 8 left to play.

Would that be unfair? No more unfair than reducing the 17 games they'd have had to play (prior to the suspension) by more than half.

Seems like a fair compromise to me.

This system is LAME.

The Griz holding a 3.5 game lead on the 8th seed with only 8 games to play is a FAAAAARRRRRRRR greater advantage than a 3.5 game lead with 17 games still to play.

They essentially double their previous lead!!! How is that a fair system?

I get that whomever finishes 9th among will get up to 2 shots to take the 8th seed away from them, but still. Getting a huge lift toward being gifted the HUGE advantage of having to lose twice in a play in doesn't make any logical or mathematical sense.

If they are going to cut the season down to only 8 games, they need to re-adjust the Griz 8th place lead on 9th place by half. Rounding upward, it'd be 2 games, with 8 left to play.

Would that be unfair? No more unfair than reducing the 17 games they'd have had to play (prior to the suspension) by more than half.

Seems like a fair compromise to me.
this system is allowed to
1) get them the local TV revenue in as many markets as possible
2) give them, they hope, two play-in games with Zion.

That’s why the play-in threshold is increased to 4 games from 3.5. I just hope the Kings use it to improve their draft position and learn about Bagley and James if they lose that first game.

That’s why the play-in threshold is increased to 4 games from 3.5.
So it was already bad enough that they decreased from 17 to 8, but to double down by increasing their lead to 4?

That’s madness. How on earth does it make sense to do that?

Decreasing the amount of games all teams have to make up the 3.5 games difference by more than half logically dictates that they decrease from 3.5, not increase from it.

What’s the freaking point of playing the 8 games now except to determine which team gets 9 and the disadvantage of having to win 2 games?

They’ve already handed #8 to Memphis on a silver platter.

Utterly ridiculous. IDK who dreamed up this scenario, but it’s laughable.

So it was already bad enough that they decreased from 17 to 8, but to double down by increasing their lead to 4?

That’s madness. How on earth does it make sense to do that?

Decreasing the amount of games all teams have to make up the 3.5 games difference by more than half logically dictates that they decrease from 3.5, not increase from it.

What’s the freaking point of playing the 8 games now except to determine which team gets 9 and the disadvantage of having to win 2 games?

They’ve already handed #8 to Memphis on a silver platter.

Utterly ridiculous. IDK who dreamed up this scenario, but it’s laughable.
I think I communicated poorly. The Grizz are currently 3.5 games ahead. A play in game is triggered if the 9th place team is within 4 games.

We shall see if and how the Kings schedule is tweaked and if we instead have to play the Clippers or Lakers. My guess is the NBA wants Zion and has never hesitated putting their finger on the scale. We shall see.
I believe the first 6 games are the same as before except Games 7 Cavs and Game 8 Hawks are skipped to play Pacers and Spurs
we do not play any teams seeded 1-4

Zion and Pels have to play Clipper(2) and Jazz(4)

I believe the first 6 games are the same as before except Games 7 Cavs and Game 8 Hawks are skipped to play Pacers and Spurs

hopefully they have something to play for like seeding

hopefully they have something to play for like seeding
Yeah, I'll wait to see what exactly the schedules look like before getting too worked up about this, but having the top teams on your schedule might not be a bad thing if you face them toward the end, when they've already wrapped up their seeding.

this system is allowed to
1) get them the local TV revenue in as many markets as possible
2) give them, they hope, two play-in games with Zion.

That’s why the play-in threshold is increased to 4 games from 3.5. I just hope the Kings use it to improve their draft position and learn about Bagley and James if they lose that first game.
Isn't the lottery odds locked to pre shutdown records?

the Lakers and Clippers both have us as their 8th game. It is possible we could be forced to skip the Spurs and play one of them.

Have you seen that stated for these teams?
Via ESPN article:

How is the NBA going to handle the draft lottery?

The 14 teams that ultimately don't advance to the playoffs will enter the NBA's draft lottery. The lottery order will be based off the standings as of March 11, when the season was suspended.

So, for example, the Memphis Grizzlies will enter the lottery if they fall out of the eighth seed -- but won't have odds better than 14th. It also means that teams like the Washington Wizards and Phoenix Suns can't improve their draft standing against teams not traveling to Orlando.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
There wasn't any way this was going to be fair as in "no impact on the outcome of the season". The long layoff meant injured players have had a chance to get better, starters are now well-rested which is never the case the last month of the season, all the tanking teams are out since the lottery odds have been locked so those "automatic wins" are off the schedule and 8 teams not participating means these schedules are different anyway, regardless of how many games get played. I'm happy just to get some kind of team sports back. Maybe we only get 8 more games and our season is over but that's more than 26% of the league got.

Since the lottery odds are locked it makes sense to go all out and try to get in.

Maybe they could consider locking lottery odds at the trade deadline one year as a "test" for future seasons and see how that impacts the final months of play. I would recommend that year be the magic year where they ditch one and done.

I'm not super excited about this format and sports right now, but at least nobody is being punished for trying to compete in this wonky make-do format.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Since the lottery odds are locked it makes sense to go all out and try to get in.

Maybe they could consider locking lottery odds at the trade deadline one year as a "test" for future seasons and see how that impacts the final months of play.
It could potentially make a change to the final months of play, but probably at the cost of January and February. If teams intend to tank, and you move the incentive period for tanking, then they will change the timing of their tanking.

It could potentially make a change to the final months of play, but probably at the cost of January and February. If teams intend to tank, and you move the incentive period for tanking, then they will change the timing of their tanking.
Maybe, but I think there would be more countervailing, anti-tanking incentives at work in January and February than we see at the end of the season. At the very least, teams haven't been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet, there's still the pre-deadline hope of a trade to save the season, and it's much easier on the business side for teams to swallow fans tuning out at the end of the year (assuming tanking would affect fan interest) than mid-season. It's an interesting thought experiment, at least!

It seems very early for all except the teams that entered the season as a season long tank. I guess there is a chance that some teams could throw away mid-season games to lock in a better spot, but it's kind of like the Samaki Walker 3 at the end of the first half that came after the buzzer. Almost nobody talks about THAT (even though I believe it directly lead to that being reviewable the next season).

Anyway, if it was run as a one season experiment in a year that is a hugely deep draft with a lot of uncertainty due to a crop of high schoolers entering with a crop of one and doners, what a great year to run it?

the Lakers and Clippers both have us as their 8th game. It is possible we could be forced to skip the Spurs and play one of them.
Article at Lakernation seems to think this will set up a Laker/Clippers game 8 showdown (Think RATINGS)

https://lakersnation.com/lakers-rum...-details-once-22-team-plan-begins/2020/06/04/

Since both Spurs and Kings schedule come up with playing each other and they are 11th and 12th bubble teams
seems logical they will play each other?

Maybe they could consider locking lottery odds at the trade deadline one year as a "test" for future seasons and see how that impacts the final months of play. I would recommend that year be the magic year where they ditch one and done.

I'm not super excited about this format and sports right now, but at least nobody is being punished for trying to compete in this wonky make-do format.
regardless of lottery odds if we lose the first game we need to use the time for Bagley and James to see what we got. Perhaps Giles also but I fear playing him could cause us to lose him. This environment will be great for scouting free agents.