KINGS Play-Off Roster

Who should take the 12th roster spot for the playoffs?

• Total voters
dont get me wrong i would LOVE to see kevin get that last spot...but i think we really need ostertag's ability to go up against someone big like shaq or shaq...or that other guy...umm...yea shaq....when we meet them in the finals...so thats why we need ostertag...

Martin and Daniels, two who played the least during the year, should watch while everyone else plays. There's no guarantee that Brads leg will be 100% and in slow-down playoff basketball Tag's bulk and experience may be needed. The only change to this may be if Bobby is unable to go and then Martin is back on the roster.

i picked tag...and its basically on a needs basis that i picked him. neither tag or martin get much playing time as it is. tag gets used sparingly, while martin gets used strictly in garbage-time (except recently, when adelman has been sizing him up). if it gets to a point where we need to utilize martin, our playoff hopes are probably done for anyways (ie: guard injuries). whereas, if we utilize tag's size, we could actually find ourselves at an advantage, if the matchups are right, of course. whoever gets chosen for the 12th spot wont be seein much time, if any, as it is, so its really not nearly as big an issue as it has been made out to be. like i said, if it gets to a point where the kings are regretting their playoff roster selection of 12th man, their playoff hopes are shattered anyways.

i think we have enough guards that we won't need martin nearly as much as we'd need ostertag... and besides.. who better to fall on someone then a 300 lb tub of lard? :D

Let's also not forget that management (any management) doesn't like being reminded of decisions made that don't turn out no matter what the reason. But without determining fault the good of the team comes first and all decisions should be made on that basis. Tag may have been "on vacation" this year without Sloan yelling at him but his lack of work ethic and self discipline under a "players coach" like RA have exposed him for the goof he is, no matter how much we appreciate (or not, as the case may be) his contributions to the team. So it seems to me he'll make the team on that basis alone.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Actually, I think it will depend on who comes back....Brad and/or Bobby. I expect Brad back soon. Bobby, I have my doubts about. I will not be surprised if Bobby does not make it back this year...as much as he may want to play. To me, that means we need Kevin.

There is another reason that I picked Spec K. Tag has had months since his pre-season injury to get himself in basketball shape. He has chosen not to do so. Kevin, on the other hand, works hard all the time to keep in shape and be ready for that minute or two, here or there, that he is called upon to play. I absolutely do not think Tag's laziness should be rewarded. Kevin has earned the spot...IMHO.

To me it's a no-brainer. Tag gets the spot.

Who knows if we will have Brad at all in the PO's. Daniels will obviously be left off the roster. Our bigs consist solely of Skinner, Thomas, and Songaila? Yikes. Ostertag is a veteran with tons of playoff experience, he makes the layups stop, he is a rebounding machine. Even if he only gets spot minutes, he has shown me he can still be a game-changer.

On the other hand, I'm not sure the rookie can give us anything in the playoffs that we can't get more reliably from a combination of Bibby, Bobby (maybe), Eddie, Cat, and Mo.
~~

Last edited:
F

Fillmoe

i think daniels and bobby are going to be left off........... we cant rely on a player that hasnt played almost 2 seasons now..........

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Alacron said:
To me it's a no-brainer. Tag gets the spot.

Who knows if we will have Brad at all in the PO's. Daniels will obviously be left off the roster. Our bigs consist solely of Skinner, Thomas, and Songaila? Yikes. Ostertag is a veteran with tons of playoff experience, he makes the layups stop, he is a rebounding machine. Even if he only gets spot minutes, he has shown me he can still be a game-changer.

On the other hand, I'm not sure the rookie can give us anything in the playoffs that we can't get more reliably from a combination of Bibby, Bobby (maybe), Eddie, Cat, and Mo.
~~

While all this is true, Alacron, my only concern about Tag is whether he can get down court to be that clog in the lane. If I were the opposing coach, and Tag was brought in, I'd just push the ball quickly, tire him out, and see if he is good for more than 5 minutes. I have my doubts.

Don't get me wrong. I was happy that we signed Tag in the off-season. But, I am now angry that we gave so much money to a guy who refused to get himself in shape. Hell, he should never have been that much out of shape in the first place. Tag has not shown himself to be a basketball professional. And for the money we pay him, that is awful.

Okay, so now you know that my vote is biased. :p

Fillmoe said:
i think daniels and bobby are going to be left off........... we cant rely on a player that hasnt played almost 2 seasons now..........
I tend to agree... you gotta figure Bobby will be rusty as heck, and I hate the thought of taking away Eddie's minutes with how he's been playing. But we all know how Adelman loves his proven vets... only time will tell.
~~

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Well I was leaning toward OTag for the 12th slot but after yet seeing him try to play another game with our quick and run and gun guys, just can't see it. He has the hands of a 5 year old, can't catch and can't dribble (tho' he should never try anyway).

I mean who is out there in the 2nd round that warrants keeping OTag?? Jerome James at SEA? maybe. But sure no 5's at PHX, DEN or MIN. So my vote is for Martin.

oops, i thought the questions was asking who should be left out ... of course that we need the big fella to step in and slam a couple of guys.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm curious. What is it that makes some of you think Tag will "step in and slam a couple of guys" or "stop shaq" or anything else you're assuming he'll do that will magically appear because it's after April 20?

I like Greg Ostertag but I don't think he's going to miraculously start doing things he hasn't done all year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ah, but Pixel - this is 2005 and I just don't see Greg Ostertag as "the great white hope" in these playoffs. I would love to be wrong, however, because I really like him but I just don't think he can all of a sudden turn on the switch...

VF21 said:
Ah, but Pixel - this is 2005 and I just don't see Greg Ostertag as "the great white hope" in these playoffs. I would love to be wrong, however, because I really like him but I just don't think he can all of a sudden turn on the switch...
i dont think anybody's expecting him to. if we're talking who we keep on the roster, o-tag or special-k, yer talkin 12th man, right? if its down to two guys, then its the 12th playoff roster spot up for grabs. 12th men, historically, dont see many minutes come playoff time. i think the issue is who we should keep based on need, and in case of an emergency. we'll be guard-heavy when bobby returns, but we will still only have two natural centers when brad comes back. in case brad goes down again in the playoffs, do we really wanna put everything back on skinner's shoulders, after all he's done already? nobody's gonna expect o-tag to do more in the playoffs than he already has, which is get a few rebounds, bang a few heads, and score the very occasional point.

I think this question isn't even a question anymore. Daniels and Martin are out. Adelman mentioned in the LA pre-game he thought it was silly that if a guy is left off for injuries that he couldn't come back second round. He said, so I guess we are going to have to start the playoffs with 10 guys then. He was pissed about it but the rule is even if a guy gets injured you can't replace him in the next round. This one is a no brainer, you can't take that many guards, and 1 true center, the debate would have to be between Kevin(healthy) and Bobbys potential and we all know the answer to that one. I love Kevins game, and he has showed us some really good things this year, but if we go that deep in our guard rotation it's really not going to matter anyways. Tag has about a million times more playoff experience(I know he's old), and He's the right size to shore up our least depth position. Mike, Cat, House, Evans, Adelman would play all of them at point in the playoffs if he had to before he'd play Kevin, I think taking SK would be redundant at this point.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Alacron said:
I tend to agree... you gotta figure Bobby will be rusty as heck, and I hate the thought of taking away Eddie's minutes with how he's been playing. But we all know how Adelman loves his proven vets... only time will tell.
~~

Bobby was very ineffective at the start of the season. I just don't see him being able to get in his game quick enough especially during the playoffs. I say keep the ppl that have been playing. I would also like to see Brad not start until he is needed. I don't think its been enough time for him to heel. He should sit as long as possible unless we really need his presence. A 1st round Sweep with Brad sitting on or coming off the Bench for a few min would be nice.