KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously we'll never get an answer but I'd love to know if Sabonis even liked playing with Brogdon. It seemed like things were pretty dysfunctional in Indy which is why Sabonis was even available.

Aside from that I hate trades involving the pick plus every movable asset we have. Like what the hell? We made a huge move for Sabonis and hired a new coach, obviously the team building has a ton to go but maybe taking 4 or doing a small trade down (or up) and just seeing what we have first, while keeping all those expirings would be the smart play? And also if we trade Holmes it should be a 1:1 type deal for a 3&D wing, preferably one who can guard the other sides 4.
Go watch some Brogdon highlights. Half of them are him and Sabonis wrecking people in PnR.

Go watch some Brogdon highlights. Half of them are him and Sabonis wrecking people in PnR.
I had a convo with one of the mods on RealGM’s Indy forum. The local Indy podcasters think the deal to be made is 6, Brogdon, plus a lightly protected frp for #4. The issue isn’t Brogdon and Domas. It’s Fox and Brogdon. While Brogdon is relatively low usage like Hali, Brogdon still sees himself as a PG. He’ll want the ball. So how’s that going to work with Fox, who hasn‘t shown the ability to play off the ball?

I had a convo with one of the mods on RealGM’s Indy forum. The local Indy podcasters think the deal to be made is 6, Brogdon, plus a lightly protected frp for #4. The issue isn’t Brogdon and Domas. It’s Fox and Brogdon. While Brogdon is relatively low usage like Hali, Brogdon still sees himself as a PG. He’ll want the ball. So how’s that going to work with Fox, who hasn‘t shown the ability to play off the ball?
This is why I asked earlier if Brogdan or Turner would be of any interest to Atlanta to help facilitate a trade for Collins.

Fox is my number 1 and Domas number 2 (or however you want that order, I just wanted to tease you) in this current build-up that McNair has set up so far, whether we agree or not. So in this equation, we already had a failed attempt in running two guards who are ball-dominant. I'd rather take Keegan Murray with the #4 than take Brogdon in the trade.

Read 2 articles I’m The Athletic
One by Zach Harper which I usually just take with a grain of salt but he did his mock and he had Ivey dropping to 9. Had the Kings taking Murray. Loves Murray

The other article which is based on a scouts honest breakdown of guys was more interesting to me. Says Orlando would be stupid to pass on Jabari Smith. Loves, loves Keegan Murray. Likes Ivey and his explosiveness…says there are still concerns though.

The Knicks reportedly want Ivey. If so, I would think

I'd defer to baja on this because he's seen a heckuvalot more of Murray than I have, but statistically Murray is markedly superior to Barnes at the same stage in careers. Barnes averaged 5.2 rebounds a game in his sophomore year, Murray 8.7 rebounds a game; Barnes shot 0.358% from 3 in his soph year, Murray 0.398% from three. If you just go on stats you clearly have to give Murray the nod. I am particularly interested in the rebound stat because imo the Kings need more physicallity at the 3/4, and 8.7 rebs/game intrigues me.
Lets be fair to Barnes here. He was 2 years younger than Murray at the same stage in their careers. Barnes played SF next to Tyler Zeller and John Henson at UNC. Thats a 7 footer and a 6'11" guy who both became centers in the NBA and averaged almost 10rpg in college.

Murray starts with two other 6'9" guys. One rebounds close to the same as Murray and the other rebounds like a SG. He has a lot more rebounding opportunities than Barnes ever did. Don't be surprised if Murray's rebounding rate drops by quite a bit in the NBA.

Bane-Clarke+22 is the only deal that kind of makes sense. I doubt the Grizz flip us JJJ and they don't have the assets outside of him or Ja to get up to 4.

But yeah, Bane is incredible. Had a huge leap last season and I think is on an all-star trajectory. And Clarke is pretty much a perfect defensive running mate with Sabonis and of course the advanced stats darling. Still salty we didn't trade up for him 3 years ago when so many teams were passing on him.
I think that's too much from the Grizzlies end but even without the pick, we'd be getting a lot of winning basketball back with those two players. Ivey would have to become an all star to surpass the production you'd get from those two.

I just don't know if they'd want to attempt a big change up like that. Especially right after making a run for the first time this year.

Yeah that's a tough one. If we could sell it that in Brown's system he's still going to get a good amount of opportunities to create, maybe it could work. If he just tapered that expectation, I like the fit. Fox on the other hand would be a tougher sell, but players sacrifice for the team if they want to win.

Yeah that's a tough one. If we could sell it that in Brown's system he's still going to get a good amount of opportunities to create, maybe it could work. If he just tapered that expectation, I like the fit. Fox on the other hand would be a tougher sell, but players sacrifice for the team if they want to win.
Exactly there are maybe 3 or 4 people in nba that are too talented to sacrifice something foe the good of there team. Everyone else plays a system. Hell even curry sacrificed with durant

So if that’s the case, wouldn’t it make sense for the Kings to just draft Ivey?

Seems like Pacers fans are discussing what the 4th pick would be worth in a vacuum, and not what it would be worth to the Kings.

I would pass on Brogdon. He's owed $22.6 million per year for the next 3 years and has missed half of the Pacers games each the past few years. He hasn't played more than 65 games in a season since his rookie year in 2016-17. He's also going to be 30 years old by December 2022. That contract will become an albatross with his injury history. Monte please stay away from that contract!

I think that's too much from the Grizzlies end but even without the pick, we'd be getting a lot of winning basketball back with those two players. Ivey would have to become an all star to surpass the production you'd get from those two.

I just don't know if they'd want to attempt a big change up like that. Especially right after making a run for the first time this year.
Yeah who knows. I didn't really expect a report they're interested in trying to trade up either, so just trying to make sense of it.

My guess is they're trying to cheapskate like a Brooks based deal. I think Monte is smart enough that any package with them has to start with Bane.

Lets be fair to Barnes here. He was 2 years younger than Murray at the same stage in their careers. Barnes played SF next to Tyler Zeller and John Henson at UNC. Thats a 7 footer and a 6'11" guy who both became centers in the NBA and averaged almost 10rpg in college.

Murray starts with two other 6'9" guys. One rebounds close to the same as Murray and the other rebounds like a SG. He has a lot more rebounding opportunities than Barnes ever did. Don't be surprised if Murray's rebounding rate drops by quite a bit in the NBA.
And it should be noted that if you look at the defense of Iowa, they partly hide Murray in the paint in a zone as a defacto center most of the time. He does use his exceptionally long arms well though when it comes to reaching up over other players for boards.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Can someone remind me how NBA trades on draft night go down? It’s not like the NFL were the trading team is on the clock right?
If a trade is made on draft day, the league doesn't update the team selecting. So if we traded with Detroit "we" would still pick at #4 and "Detroit"
would still pick at #5, and then they'll announce the trade once the lowest traded pick has been selected. Of course, Woj or Shams will have the trade a lot earlier, as may the ESPN broadcast, but the NBA will pretend nothing has happened.

All I care about is getting value, if the whole NBA wants him and we don't see a fit or value him as highly, get something for it. It seems like that's exactly what Monte is angling to do. But you still have to get someone to play ball. I think I'd be equally frustrated if Ivey is great but we have to ship backcourt talent and eat higher salary to get someone that slots between Barnes and Sabonis and Murray is also crushing it. I don't envy Monte here but I think he's competent so I am sure we'll be better off than we were in 2018. Also hopefully Monte and Brown are on the same page since they actually did a thorough hiring process. Something that never happened with Vlade, Joerger was always the guy that fell in our laps.
Yep. First rule of drafting and evaluating prospects is everyone is bad at it. If you have conviction that Ivey is not the #4 prospect, but everyone else thinks he is you trade out and make teams pay for it.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yep. First rule of drafting and evaluating prospects is everyone is bad at it. If you have conviction that Ivey is not the #4 prospect, but everyone else thinks he is you trade out and make teams pay for it.
At what point do you evaluate yourself if you’re not seeing what apparently everyone else does? So many other teams want to trade for this guy, and they’re not just jokers on the internet who have watched highlight vids to get hype.

At what point do you evaluate yourself if you’re not seeing what apparently everyone else does? So many other teams want to trade for this guy, and they’re not just jokers on the internet who have watched highlight vids to get hype.
Let’s not forget that almost every team thought that Fultz was a clear number #1, perennial all-star that teams can build around. Everyone except Boston that is!

Guess who was right?!

I mean, sure, but then why isn't Ivey in consideration for #1 overall in a weaker talent draft if he's this can't miss magical prospect?

I mean, sure, but then why isn't Ivey in consideration for #1 overall in a weaker talent draft if he's this can't miss magical prospect?
I don't think it's a weaker talent draft it's an issue of separation factor since those 4 aren't totally separated from one another as they are all really good but much different players and also that the best talent all kind of play a position (PF) in which the value can vary greatly team to team in the modern game, again, look at these recent trades for a clue as to how valuable production PF's are. The difference with the top 4 is obvious though. Smith is a potential Swiss army knife on defense, Chet can do it all, Paolo has upside to have even more than anyone on offense, and Ivey is an exploder. Ivey was all over the top 3 throughout the year on some mocks at times. We've heard plenty of people say that he could easily have the highest upside in this draft class. Part of the reason is the teams at the top. We'll see what actually happens but none of the top 3 are great fits. OKC is probably the only decent fit and they are reported to have interest hence the 2 for 4 rumors.

I don't think it's a weaker talent draft it's an issue of separation factor since those 4 aren't totally separated from one another as they are all really good but much different players and also that the best talent all kind of play a position (PF) in which the value can vary greatly team to team in the modern game, again, look at these recent trades for a clue as to how valuable production PF's are. The difference with the top 4 is obvious though. Smith is a potential Swiss army knife on defense, Chet can do it all, Paolo has upside to have even more than anyone on offense, and Ivey is an exploder. Ivey was all over the top 3 throughout the year on some mocks at times. We've heard plenty of people say that he could easily have the highest upside in this draft class. Part of the reason is the teams at the top. We'll see what actually happens but none of the top 3 are great fits. OKC is probably the only decent fit and they are reported to have interest hence the 2 for 4 rumors.
It kinda is a weaker draft, or at least the GM think it is. Look at the number of picks that are being discussed in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.