KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its hard to add anything that hasn't already been said. Here is the problem as I see it from afar. The Kings want Murray. However, there are teams willing to trade up to 4 to take Ivey. The only team that you can trade back with and still guarantee getting Murray is Detroit. Any trade back beyond Detroit and you likely lose Murray. So, if Detroit doesn't bite, I think the pick is Murray.
I think that's why all the Daniels smoke was out there. But for all we know they are floating Murray suddenly to get the teams in the 6-10 range to up their offers. It's very strange how once we got 4, Murray was almost certainly a lock to be available and yet it took almost a whole month for his name to show up in anything but mocks that were needs based than just glorified big boards.

1) we don’t know if Memphis is interested
2) if they are, they probably wouldn’t give up bane as the deal sets them back at the minimum of 2 years

in my opinion the Grizz would be the ones saying no. They might do ZWill and Clarke
Well, there was a rumor going around that they are interested in 4 and it's not like they are stacked with stud pieces and valuable picks. I don't see Bane as the centerpiece of a deal if it's true that Monte is basically asking the farm for it. If he wants Bane, save his cap and force the Grizzlies hand in FA.

I think that's why all the Daniels smoke was out there. But for all we know they are floating Murray suddenly to get the teams in the 6-10 range to up their offers. It's very strange how once we got 4, Murray was almost certainly a lock to be available and yet it took almost a whole month for his name to show up in anything but mocks that were needs based than just glorified big boards.
I think the Daniels smoke was created by the Daniels folks. They were forcing a promise out of some team passed 4 and probably got it. The whole Murray thing is interesting. How in the world does it benefit the Kings to make it even somewhat known that they would take Murray at 4? It wouldn't. Of course they have interest in him. They should. He's in that range of their pick and he's a good fit. However, if this is a game right now, then this could very well be one that is being played with the specific intent to get a team in the top 3 to bite on a trade up. Specifically OKC who have been linked to Ivey. If the Kings let Ivey slide to 5 no way is Detroit passing him up and/or probably trading him. If the Kings want Chet, they have to make it seem like the prime trade asset moves to a team likely not so willing to deal.

I agree as do most folks here. Murray can be had at 5 or 6 so Monte better squeeze everything he can out of the 4th.
I would think though if Collins is a target without including the 4th, Ivey is the pick. From what I hear Murray best position is likely PF, so is Collins. Both would need to start. I’d be more keen on Murray if he was a 3.
Murray is probably the sort of tweener who would be squeezed out of the NBA as a player without a position in the old NBA. But in today's game he'll probably swing between 3/4 and maybe even play occasional small ball 5 depending on the system he's in and situational matchups since he occasionally had to do that in college.

2 scenarios
Kings trade down and get Grant plus 5, draft Murray as they have him as BPA

Kings pick Ivey and swing the deal for Collins, who that involves I don’t know
Scenario 2 would be close to ideal fit wise on paper. Grant, Murray, and Barnes are all a bit more 4's than 3's so there's risk. I would however love to see a ginormous 2-4 with all of them in a total switch system. If it worked how is a team matching that size across the board?

And the Collins chatter which includes not using the pick at 4 might/probably be smoke to increase pressure on teams to increase offers for 4
Could be, but there's no way interested teams in Collins aren't bringing up the Green and Woods deals as a baseline. And Woods is an expiring while making about half of what Collins is next year.

Could be, but there's no way interested teams in Collins aren't bringing up the Green and Woods deals as a baseline. And Woods is an expiring while making about half of what Collins is next year.
I think the point is that if teams think that they may acquire Collins, then it hammers home they are picking Ivey since Collins and Murray both play the same position

I think the point is that if teams think that they may acquire Collins, then it hammers home they are picking Ivey since Collins and Murray both play the same position
Yeah, like I said, could be and it doesn't hurt letting it slip that the 4 isn't in the conversations value wise as well. However, we know the Kings have had some interest at some point in all of Collins, Randle, Sabonis, and Grant and they got Sabonis. I'm sure Monte was certainly making a call after that Woods trade that basically started off with asking if they saw what Woods brought back, lol.

I think an Ivey pick and a possible Collins Trade is smoke to make Detroit offer Bey and #5,
Either way Ivey and Collins(not sure what we would have to give up- Barnes and Davion?) vs Murray and Bey Think Im ok with either

But Ivey and Collins sounds pretty good

I think an Ivey pick and a possible Collins Trade is smoke to make Detroit offer Bey and #5,
Either way Ivey and Collins(not sure what we would have to give up- Barnes and Davion?) vs Murray and Bey Think Im ok with either

But Ivey and Collins sounds pretty good
I don’t think Atlanta would be interested in Davion with such a small PG, right?

I don’t think Atlanta would be interested in Davion with such a small PG, right?
More than happy to give them 6'6" Justin Holiday (only 1 yr) as injury insurance for 1 year of Bogie and Huerter
If they just want to save money Long Term

Need Jordan Hall sf in 2nd rd we would need sf Badly, maybe Otto Porter Jr?

Fox, Mitchell, TD
Ivey, DDV, #49
Otto Porter, Harkless,Jordan Hall
Collins,Lyles, Metu
Sabonis, Holmes,Len, Queta

Last edited:
Kings fans come up with worse trade ideas for them than fans of other teams trying to fleece them
Obviously we'll never get an answer but I'd love to know if Sabonis even liked playing with Brogdon. It seemed like things were pretty dysfunctional in Indy which is why Sabonis was even available.

Aside from that I hate trades involving the pick plus every movable asset we have. Like what the hell? We made a huge move for Sabonis and hired a new coach, obviously the team building has a ton to go but maybe taking 4 or doing a small trade down (or up) and just seeing what we have first, while keeping all those expirings would be the smart play? And also if we trade Holmes it should be a 1:1 type deal for a 3&D wing, preferably one who can guard the other sides 4.

Obviously we'll never get an answer but I'd love to know if Sabonis even liked playing with Brogdon. It seemed like things were pretty dysfunctional in Indy which is why Sabonis was even available.

Aside from that I hate trades involving the pick plus every movable asset we have. Like what the hell? We made a huge move for Sabonis and hired a new coach, obviously the team building has a ton to go but maybe taking 4 or doing a small trade down (or up) and just seeing what we have first, while keeping all those expirings would be the smart play? And also if we trade Holmes it should be a 1:1 type deal for a 3&D wing, preferably one who can guard the other sides 4.
I also don't see us trading out of the range where you might draft a star player just so we can pick up a bunch of better than average role-players. Sure we're in a situation where there's a lot of pressure to turn things around quickly but we're still a team that is in position to draft in the top 5 for a reason. We need elite talent just as much as any other lottery team does.

We know that Monte wants to build around Fox and Sabonis. We also know that he'll take whoever he thinks is the best player available even if it's another guard since he's done that the last 2 years.

Ivey can play on or off the ball and he is big enough to play SG full-time. He didn't get officially measured at the combine but if he's got a 6'9 wingspan as reported, that's average length for a SG. @funkykingston and a few others have argued that putting Ivey at the off-guard position limits his star potential which is probably true but I don't know if that's a big enough reason not to take him. And it may actually be a good thing for his development if he isn't asked to be the lead ball handler on a last place team as soon as he gets to the league. He also name-checked Davion Mitchell in his film session with Mike Schmitz as the guy he most wants to model himself on defensively so getting to go against him in practice every day is at least one reason why he shouldn't be upset if he gets drafted by the Kings.

Murray is in most people's top 5 at this point so taking him at 4 isn't really a reach unless you think Ivey is levels of magnitude better. I like Ivey but I don't think he's a guy you need to take no matter what and I think Murray is at least equal to him as a prospect when you factor in his defense and production in college. He's a guy who easily slots in to our lineup and I think based on his interviews he already has the maturity to handle a starting role on a team with playoff aspirations. That means digesting the film sessions before and after every game and being able to make the needed match-up adjustments.

I haven't seen any reports connecting Mathurin to the Kings but if Monte thinks Ivey, Murray, and Mathurin are comparable as talents and as fits then it would make sense to trade down either to 5 or 6 and know that we'll be able to get one of them. Since Mathurin can play the 2 or the 3 and is already an elite catch and shoot player I think he's an even better fit for us than Keegan Murray but most of the draft evaluators seem to see him as a clear level of talent lower.

The real mystery to me is what happens if the top 3 don't go as projected -- if Ivey or even Murray go higher than expected and we have one of Holmgren, Smith, or Banchero available to us, does Monte take them? Holmgren could slide if his team continues withholding medical info and then we're facing down the ghosts of every other top 5 drafted big man with medical red flags who had truncated NBA careers. Banchero could slide if OKC falls in love with Ivey and Orlando takes Holmgren. Does Monte take Banchero knowing that he doesn't project as an elite shooter or an above-average defender? I would expect Smith is an easy pick to make if he's available but I'm also in the minority here as I would be disappointed if we end up with Smith instead of Ivey, Murray, or Mathurin.

We know that Monte wants to build around Fox and Sabonis. We also know that he'll take whoever he thinks is the best player available even if it's another guard since he's done that the last 2 years.

Ivey can play on or off the ball and he is big enough to play SG full-time. He didn't get officially measured at the combine but if he's got a 6'9 wingspan as reported, that's average length for a SG. @funkykingston and a few others have argued that putting Ivey at the off-guard position limits his star potential which is probably true but I don't know if that's a big enough reason not to take him. And it may actually be a good thing for his development if he isn't asked to be the lead ball handler on a last place team as soon as he gets to the league. He also name-checked Davion Mitchell in his film session with Mike Schmitz as the guy he most wants to model himself on defensively so getting to go against him in practice every day is at least one reason why he shouldn't be upset if he gets drafted by the Kings.

Murray is in most people's top 5 at this point so taking him at 4 isn't really a reach unless you think Ivey is levels of magnitude better. I like Ivey but I don't think he's a guy you need to take no matter what and I think Murray is at least equal to him as a prospect when you factor in his defense and production in college. He's a guy who easily slots in to our lineup and I think based on his interviews he already has the maturity to handle a starting role on a team with playoff aspirations. That means digesting the film sessions before and after every game and being able to make the needed match-up adjustments.

I haven't seen any reports connecting Mathurin to the Kings but if Monte thinks Ivey, Murray, and Mathurin are comparable as talents and as fits then it would make sense to trade down either to 5 or 6 and know that we'll be able to get one of them. Since Mathurin can play the 2 or the 3 and is already an elite catch and shoot player I think he's an even better fit for us than Keegan Murray but most of the draft evaluators seem to see him as a clear level of talent lower.

The real mystery to me is what happens if the top 3 don't go as projected -- if Ivey or even Murray go higher than expected and we have one of Holmgren, Smith, or Banchero available to us, does Monte take them? Holmgren could slide if his team continues withholding medical info and then we're facing down the ghosts of every other top 5 drafted big man with medical red flags who had truncated NBA careers. Banchero could slide if OKC falls in love with Ivey and Orlando takes Holmgren. Does Monte take Banchero knowing that he doesn't project as an elite shooter or an above-average defender? I would expect Smith is an easy pick to make if he's available but I'm also in the minority here as I would be disappointed if we end up with Smith instead of Ivey, Murray, or Mathurin.
Everyone thinks that we are going to do the thing that breaks the mocks but I tend to agree it's not out of bounds that it happens with one of the top 3 picks.

So let’s say we trade the 4th to Indy for the 6th and one of Turner, Brogdan, or even a future protected pick, would Atlanta have interest in either of those two to facilitate the Kings getting Collins.
Also since Murray is frequently mentioned as Sacramentos desired pick, i’m good with Daniels, and most think he could be had at 5 or 6, but say he goes 5 guess that makes Indy a bad trade partner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.