KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its hard to add anything that hasn't already been said. Here is the problem as I see it from afar. The Kings want Murray. However, there are teams willing to trade up to 4 to take Ivey. The only team that you can trade back with and still guarantee getting Murray is Detroit. Any trade back beyond Detroit and you likely lose Murray. So, if Detroit doesn't bite, I think the pick is Murray.

The Knicks reportedly want Ivey. If so, I would think
Someone used Barnes as a comp for Murray. I thought that was a good comp.
I'd defer to baja on this because he's seen a heckuvalot more of Murray than I have, but statistically Murray is markedly superior to Barnes at the same stage in careers. Barnes averaged 5.2 rebounds a game in his sophomore year, Murray 8.7 rebounds a game; Barnes shot 0.358% from 3 in his soph year, Murray 0.398% from three. If you just go on stats you clearly have to give Murray the nod. I am particularly interested in the rebound stat because imo the Kings need more physicallity at the 3/4, and 8.7 rebs/game intrigues me.

I feel as though the Ivey hype train has convinced itself that Ivey is potentially the best player in the draft.
We should see one of the top 3 teams taking him then right?
I don't see an Ivey hype train. He's always been projected top 5... and is pretty much consensus top 4 everywhere you look.

According to all but one, every mock has Ivey at 4:

Murray is ranged 5-7

https://www.nba.com/news/2022-consensus-mock-draft

I'm warming up to moving the pick for a couple frontline starters. We need several Harrison Barnes level players for this team to make a jump so if you can get 5+ bey or grant then make another move for Collins I think you need to pull the trigger.

I’ve got no strong opinion on who we should draft. I still like Daniels for the right trade down because of size to eventually cover multiple positions. Also appreciate where he’s come from and he is not Sharpe in terms of interviews.
I’m also not really interested in who Vivek prefers but I would think it Ivey over Murray to fill seats, oh wait different ownership now.

Would you trade #4 for Bane?

It seems crazy at first glance but I think I'd do it. Perfect fit and in year 2 just put up metrics that are up there in Sabonis land. I think you'd be hard pressed to find that kind of production at our slot in the draft.
Bane-Clarke+22 is the only deal that kind of makes sense. I doubt the Grizz flip us JJJ and they don't have the assets outside of him or Ja to get up to 4.

But yeah, Bane is incredible. Had a huge leap last season and I think is on an all-star trajectory. And Clarke is pretty much a perfect defensive running mate with Sabonis and of course the advanced stats darling. Still salty we didn't trade up for him 3 years ago when so many teams were passing on him.

Fox
Bane
Barnes
Clarke
Sabonis

That’s pretty fun. I suppose if Memphis thinks their current team has come close to its ceiling and they know they are not a FA destination they could take a swing for the fences in a move like this. They probably won’t be able to keep Clarke long term so who knows.

Fox
Bane
Barnes
Clarke
Sabonis

That’s pretty fun. I suppose if Memphis thinks their current team has come close to its ceiling and they know they are not a FA destination they could take a swing for the fences in a move like this. They probably won’t be able to keep Clarke long term so who knows.
Can also swing Bane to the 3 and work in DDV/Mitchell. But yeah, this is a stat nerds dream lineup. So freaking good.

Murray didn't pop for me either but his stats by the end of the game did. I found myself rewinding the game against the Rutgers in the tournament because I couldn't figure out where the 26pts came from. That was with him missing all his 3 pointers as well. I just don't know if his bread and butter is going to translate to the NBA. It sure didn't with Bagley but Bagley had less moves and got by more on his athleticism and size.

Ham got laughed at by comparing Murray to Marvin Williams but it's a real possibility that the NBA version of Murray is a lot like Marvin Williams if his 2PT game doesn't translate to the next level. If it does translate, then he could be a better version of Barnes with a slightly worse 3pt shot and better defense but if it doesn't translate, he may be regulated to standing outside the arc waiting for someone to drive and kick.
Kinda reminds me of Kevin Martin in that regard.

The Knicks reportedly want Ivey. If so, I would think

I'd defer to baja on this because he's seen a heckuvalot more of Murray than I have, but statistically Murray is markedly superior to Barnes at the same stage in careers. Barnes averaged 5.2 rebounds a game in his sophomore year, Murray 8.7 rebounds a game; Barnes shot 0.358% from 3 in his soph year, Murray 0.398% from three. If you just go on stats you clearly have to give Murray the nod. I am particularly interested in the rebound stat because imo the Kings need more physicallity at the 3/4, and 8.7 rebs/game intrigues me.
Murray is really the age of most seniors though.

Fox
Bane
Barnes
Clarke
Sabonis

Idk. That lineup gives me 8-10th seed treadmill vibes

If Collins is in the conversation without giving up the 4th, I’d think Ivey is the pick.
Not sure what kind of package Atlanta would want for Collins but it could include one of our guards.
If the Kings are asking this kind of bring your best offers price for 4 they can't possibly take Murray there. If any interest was at 4 for Murray that would come out and if it did it's clearly to favor the teams attempting to trade for that pick, mainly Detroit. If Monte is going to take Murray at 4 and couldn't squeeze at least something out of Detroit then he failed.

Bane averaged 18 a game while shooting 43 percent from 3 and 90 percent from the line. Gritty player who is one of the reasons the Grizz win when Ja is out. Instantly make our team better
Yes, but this is not what you do with where the Kings are at. If they were already a contender they can think about need, it's very likely both Bane and Brooks are propped up the same way someone like TJ Warren was at times. The Grizzlies clearly see a need for talent upgrades and they aren't wrong. Good, solid players but not foundational pieces. With a pick this valuable you swing for that first and foremost.

If the Kings are asking this kind of bring your best offers price for 4 they can't possibly take Murray there. If any interest was at 4 for Murray that would come out and if it did it's clearly to favor the teams attempting to trade for that pick, mainly Detroit. If Monte is going to take Murray at 4 and couldn't squeeze at least something out of Detroit then he failed.
I agree as do most folks here. Murray can be had at 5 or 6 so Monte better squeeze everything he can out of the 4th.
I would think though if Collins is a target without including the 4th, Ivey is the pick. From what I hear Murray best position is likely PF, so is Collins. Both would need to start. I’d be more keen on Murray if he was a 3.

Yes, but this is not what you do with where the Kings are at. If they were already a contender they can think about need, it's very likely both Bane and Brooks are propped up the same way someone like TJ Warren was at times. The Grizzlies clearly see a need for talent upgrades and they aren't wrong. Good, solid players but not foundational pieces. With a pick this valuable you swing for that first and foremost.
1) we don’t know if Memphis is interested
2) if they are, they probably wouldn’t give up bane as the deal sets them back at the minimum of 2 years

in my opinion the Grizz would be the ones saying no. They might do ZWill and Clarke

Man, if he doesn’t draft the guy the entire NBA seemingly wants and it doesn’t work out … I can’t say it’s a breaking point because Luka already happened and I’m still here but I’ll be even more broken and cynical and salty in my fandom.
All I care about is getting value, if the whole NBA wants him and we don't see a fit or value him as highly, get something for it. It seems like that's exactly what Monte is angling to do. But you still have to get someone to play ball. I think I'd be equally frustrated if Ivey is great but we have to ship backcourt talent and eat higher salary to get someone that slots between Barnes and Sabonis and Murray is also crushing it. I don't envy Monte here but I think he's competent so I am sure we'll be better off than we were in 2018. Also hopefully Monte and Brown are on the same page since they actually did a thorough hiring process. Something that never happened with Vlade, Joerger was always the guy that fell in our laps.

Status
Not open for further replies.