KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So one of Ivey or Banchero will be there. I prefer Ivey as a prospect, but obviously you need to have a deal lined up for Fox if he's the guy which will be difficult with his contract.

Murray could be the pick here and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Highly productive yes but there's something in my guy that makes me pause. Ivey is the prototype of the lead guard that is having a lot of success in today's game ala Morant, Kyrie etc, but you can't take him and keep Fox.

If Banchero is the guy I'll pray that he's not another low impact tweener. He needs to be a bonafide star in order to have an impact at the next level, because his game is not made for playing a specific role.

Mathurin/Sharpe should both get serious consideration and I wouldn't be at all shocked if the pick is traded, but that makes me very nervous. Very rarely does trading a top pick work out for the team trading the draft capital.

A good reminder on The Ways Of The NBA Basketball Gods to all who were clamoring for a full tank at the end of the season…. Portland did just that, fielding G-Leaguers and players barely qualified to see the floor, while Sacramento continued trying to win games. Their reward? Pick #7, and Dame’s face said it all. We’ll be happy at #4, and this time we have a GM who is unlikely to blow it.

I think he is tatum meets bosh. Either way Murray is likely the Guy. Definitely over Ivey given the front office is dedicated to winning now with Fox/Ox and Mike Brown. Had they brought one of the younger guys, i could see them rolling the dice by moving fox BUT you dont move Haliburton and keep Fox only to move him for Ivey (frankly i see no generational talent in this draft). Plus i cant wrap. My head around people who dont think de'Aaron isnt a lead guy. When he was given the ball to go be the lead guy after the hali trade, and not needing to share, the dude averaged 29/6.7... I'll take that in my lead guard. Im sure he will come in with a massive chip on his shoulder too, so i actually expect a bump in his play from last year. I dont throw ivey in that mix and basically relive the first 2/3 of last year (except with a far worse shooter and creator than Hali was). Murray fills multiple needs (strong defender, good shooter, excellent rim protector ect), and is basically the prototype of the SF/PF we have wanted. If Jabari and Bonchero are gone, its between Murray and Holmgren and still i may go Murray.

Seems like twitter collectively decided Keegan is a "Safe" pick as well.

I dunno, I don't get it.
Guys like Nunes, West, Cunningham. All guys that are minimum a step above couch GMs and watch a ton of tape. Obviously they’re not NBA scouts but I think they have a better idea then KF

Guys like Nunes, West, Cunningham. All guys that are minimum a step above couch GMs and watch a ton of tape. Obviously they’re not NBA scouts but I think they have a better idea then KF
Murray's game is well-suited for pf. I'm not totally in love with him at 4 or anything, I like what Metu has been able to do and I think he compliments Sabonis pretty well.

How do we feel when comparing Murray and Metu? Do we use Lyles in a trade and rotate Sabonis, Metu, Murray up front? Can Metu and Murray sustain extended minutes on the floor together, or is that a train wreck?

A good reminder on The Ways Of The NBA Basketball Gods to all who were clamoring for a full tank at the end of the season…. Portland did just that, fielding G-Leaguers and players barely qualified to see the floor, while Sacramento continued trying to win games. Their reward? Pick #7, and Dame’s face said it all. We’ll be happy at #4, and this time we have a GM who is unlikely to blow it.
We did throw in the towel eventually, but it allowed Indy and Portland to secure their spots "in front" of us.

It's funny seeing Detroit and Portland fans act so mad because the pro-tank argument is usually about increasing odds of a top four while simultaneously securing your floor. Detroit dropped 2 and Portland 1. A top 4 team is likely to lose 3 spots with the current format and for #6 to fall 1 spot is also in-line with the odds. Possibly better. They got what they wanted they just didn't realize what it was.

Murray's game is well-suited for pf. I'm not totally in love with him at 4 or anything, I like what Metu has been able to do and I think he compliments Sabonis pretty well.

How do we feel when comparing Murray and Metu? Do we use Lyles in a trade and rotate Sabonis, Metu, Murray up front? Can Metu and Murray sustain extended minutes on the floor together, or is that a train wreck?
I think Murray is a better player (or will be). He has a strong defensive presence and good shot blocking. He plays well with his back to the basket as well as can push the break and hit pull up 3s probably at a higher clip.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nb...urray-strengths-and-weaknesses-20220517?amp=1

Yeh the good thing about taking Keegan is you have untapped potential there because of the system ran at Iowa under Fran. Iowa’s last first round pick was Ricky Davis by the way
The beautiful thing for him is that the thing that translates almost instantly is effort and defense. He is a strong defender. That is why Mitchell was still getting good PT next to Fox and Hali despite having abysmal shooting, cuz he was impactful defensively. Sometimes rookies struggle finding their offense when they first hit the league, but Murray is a good defender and shot blocker from the wing/4 spot (almost 2 bpg). So he will be impactful immediately.

The nice thing for us is you are almost guaranteed to walk away with an impact player in Jabari, Bonchero, Holmgren, or Murray. Just dont collect a other PG

So that's 2 guys who grind college/watch prospects more than just about anyone in the world (Schmitz and our very own Baja) that are extremely bullish on Murray and think he's well worth being BPA at 4.
I've felt that Murray was going to shoot up draft boards as soon as uncertainty about other top prospects started to set in, and I honestly figured he wasn't going to be on the board at 7/8 if that's where the Kings had ended up picking. His age has kept him out of most top-3 conversations because he doesn't present the sexy hope-and-a-prayer of "upside" or "untapped potential," but he's just too damn versatile and polished to overrate, in my opinion. He's a high-IQ talent who plays largely error-free ball. The guy just makes good decisions on the court, he can shoot the ball, he's got the body to defend both the 3 and the 4 (and perhaps the occasional small ball center), and I have absolutely no problem with the Kings using the 4th pick to draft a player like that, particularly since he should fit quite well alongside Sabonis. I've been wanting the Kings to snag a Siakam-like (or, frankly, Siakam himself) for awhile now, and Murray's right there for the taking as a pretty similar archetype.

I think it's also worth mentioning that one of the arguments against picking Luka Doncic was that, even at only 19 years old, he was already so polished as a professional in international competition. The belief from many was that we had seen everything there was to see from Doncic, so any gains he made after arriving to the NBA would be minimal.

Of course, we know how that went. Doncic was, indeed, a pretty complete package upon arrival (on the offensive side of the ball, anyway), and ultimately that meant he was competing for all-star recognition right off the bat. Whatever gains he's made since then have been more than enough to thrust him into the MVP conversation.

To be clear, I am making no direct comparison between Doncic and Keegan Murray. I do not think Murray has MVP-level potential. But with the Kings' stated goal of reaching the playoffs next season, and talented players like "the Fox and the Ox" already on board, I don't think you swing for the fences with, say, an utter question mark like Shaedon Sharpe, and I certainly don't think you undervalue a player like Murray just because he's so damn polished already and appears to have less "upside." I mean, hell, Marvin Bagley was a draft pick made with upside in mind...

All of this is to say that sometimes the "safe" pick is also the right pick. And in this case, I think the "safe" pick also happens to represent BPA.

I hate the word “safe” in the context of the draft. Drafting any player is a risk. The only caveat is that lights out shooting and high-level defense usually translate in the NBA, as long as positional size/strength isn’t a concern.

I’m watching Jason Tatum in the playoffs and the 2 players that remind me most of him are Jabari and Murray.

I think it's also worth mentioning that one of the arguments against picking Luka Doncic was that, even at only 19 years old, he was already so polished as a professional in international competition. The belief from many was that we had seen everything there was to see from Doncic, so any gains he made after arriving to the NBA would be minimal.

Of course, we know how that went. Doncic was, indeed, a pretty complete package upon arrival (on the offensive side of the ball, anyway), and ultimately that meant he was competing for all-star recognition right off the bat. Whatever gains he's made since then have been more than enough to thrust him into the MVP conversation.

To be clear, I am making no direct comparison between Doncic and Keegan Murray. I do not think Murray has MVP-level potential. But with the Kings' stated goal of reaching the playoffs next season, and talented players like "the Fox and the Ox" already on board, I don't think you swing for the fences with, say, an utter question mark like Shaedon Sharpe, and I certainly don't think you undervalue a player like Murray just because he's so damn polished already and appears to have less "upside." I mean, hell, Marvin Bagley was a draft pick made with upside in mind...

All of this is to say that sometimes the "safe" pick is also the right pick. And in this case, I think the "safe" pick also happens to represent BPA.
On the flipside, the last time the Kings went with a PF who also had a go to move of going left, spinning back right over the pnr guard his name was Marvin Bagley. Just sayin'. ;)

I hate the word “safe” in the context of the draft. Drafting any player is a risk. The only caveat is that lights out shooting and high-level defense usually translate in the NBA, as long as positional size/strength isn’t a concern.

I’m watching Jason Tatum in the playoffs and the 2 players that remind me most of him are Jabari and Murray.
Sometimes the slight difference can be a big one though. Jabari and Murray aren't wings. They have wing skills, but anyone expecting them to become one is setting them up for failure IMO. The difference with Jabari is he is going to be a nightmare 1-4 on ball defender which his insanely valuable these days.

I've felt that Murray was going to shoot up draft boards as soon as uncertainty about other top prospects started to set in, and I honestly figured he wasn't going to be on the board at 7/8 if that's where the Kings had ended up picking. His age has kept him out of most top-3 conversations because he doesn't present the sexy hope-and-a-prayer of "upside" or "untapped potential," but he's just too damn versatile and polished to overrate, in my opinion. He's a high-IQ talent who plays largely error-free ball. The guy just makes good decisions on the court, he can shoot the ball, he's got the body to defend both the 3 and the 4 (and perhaps the occasional small ball center), and I have absolutely no problem with the Kings using the 4th pick to draft a player like that, particularly since he should fit quite well alongside Sabonis. I've been wanting the Kings to snag a Siakam-like (or, frankly, Siakam himself) for awhile now, and Murray's right there for the taking as a pretty similar archetype.
Honestly Keegan reminds me of Barnes; not that thats a bad thing per se. His reach looks longer than Barnes though. Keegan's shooting form looks pretty nice.

Man this is tough. What I’ve seen of Murray, definitely limited, sure looks solid and the fit with the Kings appears seamless.
Just hate the star potential of Ivey and Sharp being passed on because of fit. Thats potential of course, not saying anything is a given.
Murray may also have that star potential, I think of Siakam, but just seems less likely to me.
I assume a lot of questions about Sharp will be answered in workouts for Sac and Monte will stick with best perceived player available.

Last edited:
Man this is tough. What I’ve seen of Murray, definitely limited, sure looks solid and the fit with the Kings appears seem less.
Just hate the star potential of Ivey and Sharp being passed on because of fit. Thats potential of course, not saying anything is a given.
Murray may also have that star potential, I think of Siakam, but just seems less likely to me.
I assume a lot of questions about Sharp will be answered in workouts for Sac and Monte will stick with best perceived player available.
Siakam is an interesting comparison actually. The thing is whether or not Murray can develop into that kind of passer. Also, Siakams value has kind of done some wavering. When they win? Untouchable. Last year when they didn't? Dump the sucker, he's overrated, haha.

Honestly Keegan reminds me of Barnes; not that thats a bad thing per se. His reach looks longer than Barnes though. Keegan's shooting form looks pretty nice.
I would love to see his measurements. I've seen 6'11" on wingspan but there's no way. He looks like he's got some of the longest arms in the draft relative to height.

Siakam is an interesting comparison actually. The thing is whether or not Murray can develop into that kind of passer. Also, Siakams value has kind of done some wavering. When they win? Untouchable. Last year when they didn't? Dump the sucker, he's overrated, haha.
Yeah, well they can dump the sucker our way.
This draft is the biggest test for Monte. He’s done well with lower picks and no one can really question his choices to date, especially Haliburton who seemed the obvious pick. This draft he will likely pass on what later will be considered the better pick. But I guess that’s a common scenario facing all GM’s though.

Status
Not open for further replies.