[Game] Kings @ Nuggets - 4/2/16 - 6 PT, 9 ET

K

KingMilz

Well, we won't know for sure until this franchise pulls its head out of its ass (or Cuz decides he's had enough of idiots wasting his prime years), but all signs as well as basic math point to one thing - DMC can get you 15-20 wins by himself, even with all the turmoil. So all we really need to do is field a slightly below-average team around him with a non-decrepit coach. Vlade did the former but we're still stuck with the latter. Until this last hurdle is cleared, it's too early to throw in the towel on the core we do have. Get a coach that gives a damn, get our defense to a league average and we're in playoffs. Then use the hype and improved reputation to lure even one other All-Star and we're a contender. I really do believe it could be as simple as that.
The basic math thing is strange because basic math a lot of times just does not add up in sport like in the real world there's just to many variables in basketball/sports in general. Also if you get value back for him it's not really throwing the towel in, it's changing towels. I agree about the coaching thing no doubt. We have basically thrown in the towel for the past 5-6 years don't really see how a 25-33 win team can throw in the towel. Throwing in the towel is more what Dallas did when they won a title and didn't want to pay Tyson and broke the team up.

Last edited by a moderator:
O did you mean the 3rd pick? Cause you said top 3 pick so I said Big KAT as an example cause he was a top 3 pick. Well if you suck you always want the #1/#2 pick unless it's a draft like the Anthony Bennett one where your better off picking in the teens early 10's.
My point is that the draft is a gamble even with a very high pick. KAT is the exception and not the rule. Also even if you hit the lottery quality high pick players are not a recipe to instant success. Added to the gamble is the Kings proclivity at getting the worst possible pick time after time. So while I like the draft as a a way to improve a team. I think it is a mistake to gamble away good players for picks.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
My point is that the draft is a gamble even with a very high pick. KAT is the exception and not the rule. Also even if you hit the lottery quality high pick players are not a recipe to instant success. Added to the gamble is the Kings proclivity at getting the worst possible pick time after time. So while I like the draft as a a way to improve a team. I think it is a mistake to gamble away good players for picks.
As in most things, it depends on the situation. Would I trade away Cousins just for draftpicks? Hell no! Would I trade McLemore away just for draft picks? , Maybe, depending on who I might acquire in the draft. On one side of the equation we know we have Cousins, but the other side of the equation is abstract, so it's impossible to honestly discuss it. All we have is wannabe scenarios. Fun though!

The basic math thing is strange because basic math a lot of times just does not add up in sport like in the real world there's just to many variables in basketball/sports in general. Also if you get value back for him it's not really throwing the towel in, it's changing towels. I agree about the coaching thing no doubt. We have basically thrown in the towel for the past 5-6 years don't really see how a 25-33 win team can throw in the towel. Throwing in the towel is more what Dallas did when they won a title and didn't want to pay Tyson and broke the team up.
Replace "basic math" with "easily observable and quantifiable trends" if that sounds better to you. When comparing apples to apples, this team is slightly below-average with DMC and historically awful without him. To me, that points to the non-DMC component being the culprit. And yes, trading Cuz away is very much throwing in the towel (on THIS core) and committing to yet another rebuild. It all boils down to whether you believe that the current group, with a proper coach, can compete in the West. I'm convinced that it can; thus I place most of the blame at the coach's feet. I will maintain that position until the front office gives it an honest try with a compatible coach who doesn't treat defense like an STD - if we fail then, I'll freely admit that this bunch of players should be blown up (not literally, of course; well - maybe Belli?)

Well technically he has not won 30 games cause he missed 3 of the wins
Heh, I knew someone was going to bring it up. Does it mean then that the losses without Big Cuz do not count against him? By that logic, DMC led his team to .444 percentage this year, good for 36-37 wins!
I guarantee he didn't at all consider that as he crafted the snarky response. It didn't fit the agenda. Only that which can be used against Cousins is ever considered. And it's far from a surprise that you got yet another snarky response after pointing it out. Haters gotta take the negative angle, always.

The basis for my argument would be this:
I could make a strong case that a good portion of the Kings team, coaches, and/or front office did not want to win in ANY of the six years he's been here.
That simply can't be true because everything is Cousins fault. His mere presence on the team causes ownership and the front office decision makers to botch trades, draft picks and coaching hires. He also infects his teammates with poor BBIQ and the inability to make open shots or play anything resembling defense.

Hasn't this been well-established already?