Kings Notes: Theus adjusting his coaching style in tough stretch

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
There might very well be light at the end of the tunnel, but there's just one problem with that reality for the Kings.

More...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I found this encouraging. People can go on and on about Jerry Sloan or whover all they want, but the way Reggie was going he was going to lose his team. Some classic inexperienced mistakes. He still might lose them, who knows, but at least he's learning (or claiming to):

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Perception can be just about as good as reality and so far I think the public perception of Reggie is good. I'm not sure what the players think and I doubt we will ever know. One type of perception may mean he'll keep the job beyond one year and the other kind of perception (player's) may either add a few wins or lose a few.

"I would love for our bench to be more enthusiastic," he said. "And I think, Is that the college side of me talking? But no, because I see other teams where their bench is up and guys are cheering for each other. But in our guys' defense, it's a tough fight right now. You have to have some success to keep that fire burning."

This is the best quote out of the article and it’s something that has been talked about over here as well. I understand that our group hasn’t won a lot of games but when we’re down by 10 or 20 and the guys on the court are fighting their way back, I would really like it if the bench (the guys that are sitting on their butts) would stand up and cheer for their team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think they will. My thought is that they still don't really know or trust each other yet. That will come and as long as Reggie can continue to provide an atmosphere where they feel comfortable in their roles, the enthusiasm will eventually grow.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yea...The only guy who comes to mind when talking about enthusiasm is Justin Williams.. Nobody else seems to enjoy being on the team

I don't know how Reggie will lift the spirit on the team though... Can't just come up to them saying "show enthusiasm when we're having a good game"
Justin Williams is NOT the only player who shows enthusiasm. Not by a long stretch. And Reggie isn't saying the team NEVER reacts in a positive manner to what's happening on the court.

The idea that "nobody else seems to enjoy being on the team" is a real stretch, IMHO. There's a big difference between being less than ecstatic and being miserable.

Yea...The only guy who comes to mind when talking about enthusiasm is Justin Williams.. Nobody else seems to enjoy being on the team

I don't know how Reggie will lift the spirit on the team though... Can't just come up to them saying "show enthusiasm when we're having a good game"
I think you are way off base as well, can they show a little more enthusiasm? I guess so but some players react differently than others, these are humans and as we know (because were humans too) everyone is different. This might just be the way i feel but it really pisses me off when the Dallas bench jumps up and down when they score the first freaking basket of the game. That is an example of a team that over does it.

Now that's what I call a team..

And VF, when late in the third quarter the Kings make a three-pointer to tie the game, and the bench sits there with only HALF of them applauding, your team obviously is sad

I'd like to see some players who are more enthusiastic during the game though other than Williams....Garcia?
How happy should any team really be when they lose 70% of their games?

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
So, The Bench Mob are not these guys......yet. Once a rotation becomes more set in the next 12 games, the home stand and the 5 game road trip east, then the bench will become more established as well.

When RonRon and Salmons are the forwards, Mikki off the bench is some enthusiasm as is Cisco and Spencer and, when/if he starts to get some time, Williams.

But when Mikki starts, Salmons off the bench is Mr. Lunch Pail get the job done while being stoic and un-emotional. So that leaves Cisco and Hawes for some juice: an out-of-control 2-3 and a rookie 4-5 with only 1-yr of college ball.

Watkins can be emotional but more in the bang-bang sense than the overtly charged up guy.

Yeah, the bench is not strong yet and is missing a bench leader, a Jon Barry or a Bobby Jackson type. 'Course, without Bibbs we have no leader of the starters either. We don't want RonRon in that role!!

So, a ways to go. When we get Bibbs back then we need to see a stronger bench and a bench leader who is in control.