Kings Notes: Peja's two-day rest has him feeling off

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11772826p-12657617c.html

Kings Notes: Peja's two-day rest has him feeling off

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Wednesday, December 15, 2004

MILWAUKEE - Peja Stojakovic bruised his right knee Saturday night during the Kings' overtime victory over the Indiana Pacers, and that meant he had to rest it for the two days leading up to Tuesday night's 89-86 come-from-behind victory over the Milwaukee Bucks at Bradley Center.

Stojakovic likes to work out one way or the other, so all that rest only made him feel weak and sluggish against the Bucks, even if his sleeve-covered right knee felt pretty good.

"I didn't work out at all the past two days," said Stojakovic, who had 19 points. "But I wanted to play through it because sitting out would have made it even worse for Thursday (when the Kings host the Los Angeles Lakers)."

Minus Stojakovic's fourth-quarter contributions against Milwaukee, the Kings would be bringing a loss into the Lakers game.

The game was on the line for the Kings after Desmond Mason scored a tremendous reverse lay-in with 48.3 seconds left to give the Bucks an 85-81 lead. On the ensuing possession, Stojakovic took a feed from Bibby, who had sucked in the entire Bucks defense, and stuck a wide-open three-pointer to pull the Kings within 85-84.

"That was a huge shot for us," said Bibby, who constantly enticed Milwaukee's defense to converge on him and provide Stojakovic with good looks.

"I played the game, and (the Bucks) gave me wide-open looks all night," said Stojakovic, who made 5 of 12 three-point attempts, 6 of 16 field-goal attempts overall and each of his two free-throw tries. "I had four or five great looks that didn't go for me. But I just kept playing."

Et cetera - Once again, the Kings had turnover problems, especially early, committing six during the first quarter. Worse, however, was their conversion rate off Milwaukee turnovers. The Bucks also turned the ball over six times during the first quarter, but the Kings scored just two points off those possessions.

* The Kings - 8-0 against the Eastern Conference this season - have won four straight games at Bradley Center and swept the two-game season series from the Bucks. * The Bucks outscored the Kings in the paint 46-28 and held a 50-46 rebounding edge.

As a frequent critic of Peja and his "soft" rep I want to be the first to congratulate the young man for fighting through his injury and playing if not an outstanding, at least a creditable game last night. His fortitude he displayed has to encourage his teammates and fans alike and, perhaps, maybe even give himself more confidence that even when he's not 100% he can still be effective. And while his stats were un-Peja like his defense in the fourth quarter kept the Bucks from posting up our smaller guards as they did several times down the court when Peja was catching a blow. Anyway, way to go Peja!!!