[Game] Kings @ Nets, Friday Nov. 22, 4:30 PM PT/7:30 PM ET

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What i'm worried about the most is buddy and that big fat contract we just gave him.
That's what I think bothers most people. If he hadn't just inked that HUGE deal, I think people would be giving him a bit more leeway. But when there are that many zeros on the check, people (well, me anyway) expect to see it pay out.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The story of the game for me is Justin James. He's got the DNA to be a good defender. He saved a couple of loose balls with his athleticism that many players in the NBA would not be able to save. I like the runner a lot. He made a very good pass on the move that Dedmond fumbled. It's no mistake that Walton had him be the pg at the end of the game. I think he and Vlade see a possible combo guard down the line, not just a 3 & D guy.

What i'm worried about the most is buddy and that big fat contract we just gave him.
My biggest worry is that they aren't running a simple middle pick and roll for him to get going when things are stagnant. If you watch him off the ball they are using him as a decoy running around for the oddball chance someone finds him cutting to the rim. It's the same thing Joerger did as well. I think he'd be best served, and the team would be best served putting him in as many simple face up opportunities as they can and not just from 3. Even some spot shots too. He's almost moving too much out there. Waltons come a long way but the next step for him is to really spread that floor more and more. There's too much effort in trying to find high post opportunities when this is pretty much a true to form drive and dish squad.

The difference in 3s made is the game. We don't have enough shooters with Bogdan/Ariza out. Both Dedmon and HB supposed to help space the floor but clearly not doing it.
Dedmon isn't being used as a spacer. I don't know how much time it will take before they realize he doesn't do much for your team inside the 3 point line. This will become more of an issue when Fox and Bagley are back. That paint belongs to them along with Harrison when a post up is called.

I think you're over-reacting to one little comment made in the heat of the moment out of frustration. It's nothing I would have said, but the ONE comment you're referring to was just that...one comment.

As far as blame goes, I think he's in the cross hairs because of the huge contract he just signed. It's only human nature to want to see a return on your investment - and thus far we aren't seeing that.
While I would like to avoid getting personal, I don't think it's just one little comment. It may not have been one you would have said, but clearly it was one that you liked. I can guarantee you it won't be the last from said poster.

I get the sentiment to want to see more - I am by no means saying Buddy is playing at the level he needs to be. But I also think it's ridiculous to single him out when the whole team is playing like garbage and others are equally making turnovers.

The story of the game for me is Justin James. He's got the DNA to be a good defender. He saved a couple of loose balls with his athleticism that many players in the NBA would not be able to save. I like the runner a lot. He made a very good pass on the move that Dedmond fumbled. It's no mistake that Walton had him be the pg at the end of the game. I think he and Vlade see a possible combo guard down the line, not just a 3 & D guy.
He showed it this game but he's really good when put into the middle of the floor. Everywhere else is kind of a blind spot but in watching college video on him you could see if you run him into the middle free throw area he can get you some buckets.

My biggest worry is that they aren't running a simple middle pick and roll for him to get going when things are stagnant. If you watch him off the ball they are using him as a decoy running around for the oddball chance someone finds him cutting to the rim. It's the same thing Joerger did as well. I think he'd be best served, and the team would be best served putting him in as many simple face up opportunities as they can and not just from 3. Even some spot shots too. He's almost moving too much out there. Waltons come a long way but the next step for him is to really spread that floor more and more. There's too much effort in trying to find high post opportunities when this is pretty much a true to form drive and dish squad.
On the flip side, the defense isn't bothering about guarding anyone else. Nobody else is a threat to score from outside and even before that without Fox nobody is forcing the defense to collapse. With Bogi out somebody needs to step up in order for Buddy to get open, or we're just going to be treated to more Buddy drives and turnovers.

That's what I think bothers most people. If he hadn't just inked that HUGE deal, I think people would be giving him a bit more leeway. But when there are that many zeros on the check, people (well, me anyway) expect to see it pay out.
On this note - how do you feel about the returns from Barnes? Personally I'd say it's around the same as Buddy - both are playing at decent starter levels, a mix of good play with some very uninspiring/undependable play. Barnes may not make the mental mistakes that Buddy does, and he doesn't handle the ball as much to have opportunities to turn it over, but he also doesn't put pressure on the defense like Buddy does.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
On this note - how do you feel about the returns from Barnes? Personally I'd say it's around the same as Buddy - both are playing at decent starter levels, a mix of good play with some very uninspiring/undependable play. Barnes may not make the mental mistakes that Buddy does, and he doesn't handle the ball as much to have opportunities to turn it over, but he also doesn't put pressure on the defense like Buddy does.
We're getting what I thought we'd get from Barnes. All I know is that I don't scream at the TV in frustration over Harrison Barnes. I do it frequently over Buddy Hield. I think he has a problem focusing on what matters. Some of the mental mistakes he makes seem like his attention was elsewhere. I will be honest, however. Some of the things he said during the contract "negotiations" did not sit well with me at all and that could be influencing my opinion. I'm only human and some of his comments were, to me, way out of line.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
While I would like to avoid getting personal, I don't think it's just one little comment. It may not have been one you would have said, but clearly it was one that you liked. I can guarantee you it won't be the last from said poster.

I get the sentiment to want to see more - I am by no means saying Buddy is playing at the level he needs to be. But I also think it's ridiculous to single him out when the whole team is playing like garbage and others are equally making turnovers.
MOD NOTE: Upon review, I have changed my perception of that particular post. I'm going to do some thread cleanup, but will try to leave most of the discussion intact.

I don't get why Luke didn't play Giles? I thought the dude was injured or something. But when he came in, he immediate make an impact. So it doesn't make sense to sit him. I rather him play than useless Dedmon. The problem with Dedmon I think is intelligent. What makes Holm great is he help out on team defense, hustling and just know the game.

Justin James played well and I am excited about his progress. What about the Kyle Guy, he can shoot the lights out. He should be getting minutes. If James get minutes, why not Kyle? Kyle play much better than James during the Summer League. If Buddy Hield doesn't play a lick of defense, Kyle Guy should be getting minutes just for the fact that he can shoot. In fact, I would bet that Kyle Guy play a hell lot better defense than Buddy Hield.

Last edited:
Justin James just needs to get stronger so he won't have to settle for the jumpers, and get knocked off balance on D. He plays with a lot of good energy, and looks smooth on offense for a player who probably isn't sure what's going on around him.

Giles/JJ showed something I thought Holmes was the only starter that played as normal the rest really missed Bogi who is the only alpha type player on the team. Buddy/Barnes are not #1 and barely #2 options they are both best as the #3rd option.

Dedmon is entering Frank Mason territory from last year he can't keep playing like this, he has to be replaced with Harry and Marvin when he's back.

JJ looks like a young Tyler Johnson atm maybe not the shooter but very similar type size/game and Tyler was a freak athlete when he first came into the NBA.

Last edited:
JJ is our best player this game
One positive, other than Giles, was James. Really like what I am seeing. He’s got a long wingspan which is evident on defense. His body control also looks good. Plays within himself and the game
SHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Don’t tell anyone!

All the premature naysayers already know the end story on JJ. He was a terrible pick at #40 that nobody ever heard of. The networks had to scramble to find video of him during the draft, therefore he can’t possibly ever be any good!!

Remember?

That’s one thing I recall after doing some research on JJ in the days and weeks after the draft — the kid has some PG skills. He talked about feeling quite comfortable playing the position because he was often tasked with the responsibility in HS and at Wyoming.

I hope they continue to try to develop that part of his game.

This has got be a jetlag thing combined with too many days off. Whole team is out of sync.
Missing too many key players. It’s one thing to lose MB3 then Fox. But to lose Bogie on top of it is too much to overcome.

That said, games like this one remind me how much I hate it when the KINGS make marginal teams and players look like all-stars.

Forget this game as soon as possible and step on the court in Washington with a lot more energy. Be prepared to hustle on defense.

We are now missing too many good players and the only way to win something is to play outstanding defense and play unselfish basketball on the offensive end.

I am sorry, but Dedmon lost this game for us. The minute he checked in, they started grabbing all those offensive rebounds and took the lead to 10+. It was pretty much over after that. Other guys also didn't play well, that was obvious.

Any night the Kings can't find the basket from long range, and their opponents are raining down 3s they are going to struggle.
The defense worked hard most of game. That is a result of good coaching. I am chosing to see some positives from this game. Harris and Dinwoody were problems the whole game, but at least the intensity was there.
I watched James for a couple of years playing Nevada, when he was at Wyo. He has the size and ability for the NBA. I am happy that Kings fans got to see that last night.
Hard to find many other positives. Some guys need to heal up and get back on the floor.

I don't get why Luke didn't play Giles? I thought the dude was injured or something. But when he came in, he immediate make an impact. So it doesn't make sense to sit him. I rather him play than useless Dedmon. The problem with Dedmon I think is intelligent. What makes Holm great is he help out on team defense, hustling and just know the game.

Justin James played well and I am excited about his progress. What about the Kyle Guy, he can shoot the lights out. He should be getting minutes. If James get minutes, why not Kyle? Kyle play much better than James during the Summer League. If Buddy Hield doesn't make a lick of defense, Kyle Guy should be getting minutes just for the fact that he can shoot. In fact, I would bet that Kyle Guy play a hell lot better defense than Buddy Hield.
They are in kind of a strange spot with Giles. If he explodes this year, someone will sign him for more than his option.

Giles has to fix his shooting. The Nets literally fell back. Cut off the passing lanes (and he still threaded the needle) and dared him to shoot.