[Game] Kings @ Nets, Friday Nov. 22, 4:30 PM PT/7:30 PM ET

To honor the infectious mood growing around Kingsland, I'm starting this game thread off with a tale from Kings lore. Storytime, kids.

Don't you miss the old Arco? No, not the nice new old Arco (yes, that was once new and everyone was like "ooh these seats!!" -- just like we are about Golden1).... I mean the ORIGINAL Arco... bet there are some here that don't even know about that.

Back in 85, the NBA would give you a team even if you didn't have an Arena. That's what happened in in Sac. So in late 1984... with less than a year until opening night in October 1985, owner Greg Lukenbill and his group of developers donated a large, half-finished warehouse in a parking lot that could be re-fitted to cram 10,333 fans, a court, and a scoreboard. The lower section even had seats. The upper section did not. But it did have plywood bleachers! Remember, the team was brought to town by land developers, in fact most of Sacramento's "old money" are developer families. So, they did what they know how to do: they built. Fast.

When I say plywood bleachers I literally mean that. Plywood under your feat, then a riser, then another flat piece of plywood under your butt, then another vertical plywood riser that was rose up to where the people in the row above you put their feet. No seats. You're sitting on a plywood box. It was awesome. One reason it was awesome was because if you stomped your feet, well, if everyone stomped their feet --and the questionable characters in the upper deck were quite easily "triggered", as the kids say today, into stomping their feet) -- the entire place echoed with a haunting thunder. It almost sounded like 10,000 people stomping on plywood boxes in a metal warehouse. Because that's exactly what it was.

You could see the look of incredulity and frustration on the faces of opposing players who had to endure this. Nowhere in the league did they have to put up with these conditions. Announcers called this a "college atmosphere" but frankly colleges that had 10,000 seat arenas had far nicer facilities than we did. The sheer volume of the noise likely qualified as an OSHA workplace violation. The home team loved it and knew it was an unfair advantage, and they rode that Arco Thunder into a 7th seed playoff birth with THIRTY SEVEN wins. You could not buy a ticket to those playoff games. People were simply not selling them.

These stories are important, lads. They remind us where we came from. They keep us humble. They remind us what this is all about: loving your team because they're yours. It's fun to dissect management's moves, trades, rotations... but all that is really just passing the time until you can get into the Arena and scream and stomp your team to a win... or at least a good fight.

This team fights. On that, Vlade has delivered. Unquestionably. This season is already a win for that alone. Let's be grateful for how far we've come, that the days of management undercutting the team are over, that the Kings are here to stay, that we have players that fight, and let's enjoy the ride.

GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Very curious on what we will do with Cojo and Bogi probably out. Did Guy get called up? I expect JJ to get time, Yogi and Buddy to play heavy minutes, JJ can handle the ball as a secondary ball handler, and Ariza is scratched.
Will be interesting to see what Walton cooks up

To honor the infectious mood growing around Kingsland, I'm starting this game thread off with a tale from Kings lore. Storytime, kids.

Don't you miss the old Arco? No, not the nice new old Arco (yes, that was once new and everyone was like "ooh these seats!!" -- just like we are about Golden1).... I mean the ORIGINAL Arco... bet there are some here that don't even know about that.

Back in 85, the NBA would give you a team even if you didn't have an Arena. That's what happened in in Sac. So in late 1984... with less than a year until opening night in October 1985, owner Greg Lukenbill and his group of developers donated a large, half-finished warehouse in a parking lot that could be re-fitted to cram 10,333 fans, a court, and a scoreboard. The lower section even had seats. The upper section did not. But it did have plywood bleachers! Remember, the team was brought to town by land developers, in fact most of Sacramento's "old money" are developer families. So, they did what they know how to do: they built. Fast.

When I say plywood bleachers I literally mean that. Plywood under your feat, then a riser, then another flat piece of plywood under your butt, then another vertical plywood riser that was rose up to where the people in the row above you put their feet. No seats. You're sitting on a plywood box. It was awesome. One reason it was awesome was because if you stomped your feet, well, if everyone stomped their feet --and the questionable characters in the upper deck were quite easily "triggered", as the kids say today, into stomping their feet) -- the entire place echoed with a haunting thunder. It almost sounded like 10,000 people stomping on plywood boxes in a metal warehouse. Because that's exactly what it was.

You could see the look of incredulity and frustration on the faces of opposing players who had to endure this. Nowhere in the league did they have to put up with these conditions. Announcers called this a "college atmosphere" but frankly colleges that had 10,000 seat arenas had far nicer facilities than we did. The sheer volume of the noise likely qualified as an OSHA workplace violation. The home team loved it and knew it was an unfair advantage, and they rode that Arco Thunder into a 7th seed playoff birth with THIRTY SEVEN wins. You could not buy a ticket to those playoff games. People were simply not selling them.

These stories are important, lads. They remind us where we came from. They keep us humble. They remind us what this is all about: loving your team because they're yours. It's fun to dissect management's moves, trades, rotations... but all that is really just passing the time until you can get into the Arena and scream and stomp your team to a win... or at least a good fight.

This team fights. On that, Vlade has delivered. Unquestionably. This season is already a win for that alone. Let's be grateful for how far we've come, that the days of management undercutting the team are over, that the Kings are here to stay, that we have players that fight, and let's enjoy the ride.

GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!
Perfectly articulated. I was a kid in that arena. Some of the sightlines were horrendous. But we were as passionate then as we are now. It's still a shiny new toy for me, at 40 years old. KingstillIdie.

Very curious on what we will do with Cojo and Bogi probably out. Did Guy get called up? I expect JJ to get time, Yogi and Buddy to play heavy minutes, JJ can handle the ball as a secondary ball handler, and Ariza is scratched.
Will be interesting to see what Walton cooks up
Did JJ handle the ball in college? I'm really curious to see what he can do

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Did JJ handle the ball in college? I'm really curious to see what he can do
Yes. Last year he led Wyoming in assists by a wide margin - almost 3x in total assists over the #2 guy, almost 2x in per-game assists over the #2 guy (who only played 260 minutes) and more than 4x over everybody else. I didn't see them play, but the numbers suggest he ran the offense almost exclusively.

GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!
I'm all in on this post

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So, I really need to know if Bogs is gonna play. I've got a full roster going with my fantasy team tonight - Bogdan in the lineup and Bojan on the bench. Should I swap them out now in case I don't get a chance later?

So, I really need to know if Bogs is gonna play. I've got a full roster going with my fantasy team tonight - Bogdan in the lineup and Bojan on the bench. Should I swap them out now in case I don't get a chance later?
I would swap them out. Bojan is having a good year and if you know he’s playing then take the given vs the question mark. And even if Bogie plays he may be limited.

edit: just looked and saw Jazz play Warriors. For sure play Bojan. Warriors are worst defense in league.

if they're going to miss any game this is probably a good game to miss. brooklyn seems like they have nobody. no kyrie, no levert, someone else out too. if we keep our offense/defense fundamentals up, and if hield plays well as well as barnes, I think we should win this game

Yes. Last year he led Wyoming in assists by a wide margin - almost 3x in total assists over the #2 guy, almost 2x in per-game assists over the #2 guy (who only played 260 minutes) and more than 4x over everybody else. I didn't see them play, but the numbers suggest he ran the offense almost exclusively.
In a predraft interview he talked about playing PG and being a distributor-first growing up. Vlade also made a point after drafting him to mention he could play the 1, 2, and 3.
So he is probably best suited to run the second unit while Yogi rests, maybe even more than Guy if he comes up.

I have the game at 111.5 to 112 in favor of Brooklyn. This is without injuries to Cujo, Bogi, and Kyrie. With a 2 point home court adjustment, Brooklyn is a 2.5 point fave. If Bogi and Cujo play, I think we win this game. We'll see. Go Kings!

In a predraft interview he talked about playing PG and being a distributor-first growing up. Vlade also made a point after drafting him to mention he could play the 1, 2, and 3.
So he is probably best suited to run the second unit while Yogi rests, maybe even more than Guy if he comes up.
Wow. So another Bogi type player. If that pans out with any level of success - meaning he sticks around and is good enough to stay in rotation - that's a great addition.

Wow. So another Bogi type player. If that pans out with any level of success - meaning he sticks around and is good enough to stay in rotation - that's a great addition.
I see him as a more athletic but worse shooting Francisco Garcia. An older rookie, good teammate, can handle a little, and make plays on the ball on defense.
If he comes close, that's a win in the 2nd round.

Good thing Cojo is playing to slow Dimwiddie down (hopefully) he's the main weapon on the Nets now, would not be shocked if the Kings played a good amount of small ball with Barnes at the 4 since the Nets always go small for the most part.

Gotta work, man these injuries are a bummer. Oh well, next man up seems to be working just fine so far.

Let's get another W and start this road trip off right!