Kings Media Day Round-Up 2022

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Starting off today’s media day coverage with this interview of Mike Brown by Anthony Slater (one of the Warrior beat writers. It also one of the best writers on the platform)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The starters and rotation

Brown isn’t ready to name a firm starting lineup. He expects a fierce camp battle at several rotation spots. These are the near guarantees: Fox will be his starting point guard, Sabonis his starting center and Barnes his starting small forward. It seems likely that Huerter starts at shooting guard and Mitchell is the high-usage third guard off the bench.

The power forward might be most up for grabs. Murray is the future at the position, but he has competition in the immediate that includes Chimezie Metu, Trey Lyles and — a name to watch — camp invite Moneke. There is a chance that Brown utilizes Sabonis and Richaun Holmes in occasional lineup combinations together, but Holmes profiles more as Sabonis’ backup.

“(Steelers coach) Mike Tomlin, one of his sayings is: ‘We got a lot of dogs and one bone,'” Brown said. “He likes who he has on his team, they’re deep and there’s competition. That’s us. Everything is yet to be seen. I’ve only had a chance to be around these guys in the summer. But I give Monte McNair, Wes Wilcox and their team a lot of credit because I’m excited about all the different lineups we can put on the floor.”

Those combinations will include Barnes and Murray together.

“I don’t know if Keegan will start,” Brown said. “But I know those players are both better than I thought after I’ve been around them. Part of that is the versatility. It hasn’t shocked me, but it’s made me sit back and believe we’ve got something here. We’re going to play position-less basketball to a certain degree, especially with our one through four. So it’s not necessarily about those guys fitting in offensively, which I think they can, but it’s about matchups. We had a small dose of it at summer league. Keegan chased some of the top two guards drafted and then we saw him switch and check the kid down in Orlando. We switched at times in the pick-and-roll at times and Keegan showed an ability to sit down and guard. That versatility gives us a lot of flexibility in terms of combinations we can put on the floor.”
The way people are talking about Chima has me intrigued. Also sounds like the starting lineup is going to be Domas/Keegan/Barnes/Huerter/Fox, even if Brown claims it’s still an open competition.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think the comment that stood out to me is the one saying how the pieces fit and it’s not necessarily going to be how they fit offensively. Some where during the summer someone had posted a video on his Draymond Green was used on D and how it was integral to the Warriors defense……the closest piece we may have to that may be Chima and or Okpala. Not that either one is going to start playing 30 minutes a game but maybe situational stuff.