[Game] Kings @ Lakers - Sunday, March 24 - 6:30PT/9:30ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a buddy who was at the game. Very close to the action n we were texting about Bogie. He said he noticed that Bogue’s legs were heavily taped up. Above the ankles, but hidden by his socks. Dudes playing through injury. Pure craft.
Interesting. Should go in the Bogi slump thread. Makes you wonder though why bench Beli for Bogi. Also have to wonder why Bjelica, Barnes and Bagley played so well together, did they only get 3.9 minutes together on the floor?

And the thing is that we were an elite closing team in crunch time last year for some reason.
Did you pick up on Grant (and Doug) making little comments about DJs substitutions? Specifically about Bagley and why he was not put back in earlier? This makes me think this is directly from the FO, because we all know Grant is their mouthpiece and will push what the FO thinks. Just found it odd because he’s never critical of DJ

Did you pick up on Grant (and Doug) making little comments about DJs substitutions? Specifically about Bagley and why he was not put back in earlier? This makes me think this is directly from the FO, because we all know Grant is their mouthpiece and will push what the FO thinks. Just found it odd because he’s never critical of DJ
I didn't see it that way and Bags has been finishing games in place of WCS. So if it's meant to be a message, Joeger is doing what the FO wants anyway.

I didn't see it that way and Bags has been finishing games in place of WCS. So if it's meant to be a message, Joeger is doing what the FO wants anyway.
Possibly, but they twice made comments last night, that to me, appeared to be critical of how long he was leaving guys on the bench. I may be reading too much into it though

Possibly, but they twice made comments last night, that to me, appeared to be critical of how long he was leaving guys on the bench. I may be reading too much into it though
Maybe but Grant is like the front office weather vane. He’s never even remotely critical unless the FO tells him he should be.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
There have been direct and indirect criticisms of Joerger from Grant for quite a while now. I agree with you that Grant has been a mouthpiece of this organization for many years. Also, he has had a pretty close friendship with Vlade. Still, I wouldn't put money on the Joerger exit just yet. Vlade doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is going to fire his coach without being very confident of being able to bring in a better coach as his replacement.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
My overall impression of the Lakers-Kings game was of the Kings being somewhat puny and non-athletic compared to the Lakers. I hate to say that, but that's just what registered in my brain. Did anyone else have that impression? Other than Fox and Bagley and maybe Barnes, it seemed like everyone else was dwarfed by this injury-depleted Lakers team. I come away from the game thinking the Kings have to get longer and more athletic going forward.

NBA Rule #9, Section 1B:

The free throw shooter may not step over the plane of the free throw line until the ball touches the basket ring, backboard or the free throw ends.
PENALTY: This is a violation by the shooter on all free throw attempts and no point can be scored.
The rules in the NBA are hardly enforced at all. Traveling and double dribbles happen constantly. Nearly every PG palms the ball. Moving screens are normal. They pretend to enforce the rules but look the other way all the time.

It seems like the BBIQ of this team has regressed after all star break. I am not even sure why. Is it because of fatigue, or losing JJ/Shamp? I can't even explain.
The other teams have figured out the Kings weaknesses and know how to exploit them. Shumpert provided great leadership.

Recently the Kings have had big trouble ending close games. They seem to lose most of the them. There is a certain lack of leadership on the floor. I would not blame Joerger. So who really is the leader of the Kings now? It is a hard question to answer. Fox or Buddy would be the obvious choices. Shumpert left a hole that is not that easy to fill. This is a bigger issue than most people probably believe.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Recently the Kings have had big trouble ending close games. They seem to lose most of the them. There is a certain lack of leadership on the floor. I would not blame Joerger. So who really is the leader of the Kings now? It is a hard question to answer. Fox or Buddy would be the obvious choices. Shumpert left a hole that is not that easy to fill. This is a bigger issue than most people probably believe.
I started an ultra-hot take thread that I deleted because we came back and won a game (maybe the second game after the trade, I don’t quite remember) that the season ended when Shumpert was traded.

The Scores died that day and they became “just” the Kings again.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Fox and Bagley are going to be the closers. They just are too green to consistently do that right now on a consistent basis, and I do believe that Joerger is "protecting" them somewhat from always being in those situations because they are so young. That's probably why we saw Bogs take a "closer" type shot at the end of the game with Fox in the corner. I've noticed recently that Fox is attempting to do a step back jumper. It hasn't worked all that well yet, but going forward I have a feeling it's going to be a go-to closer move.

I started a hot take thread that I deleted because we came back and won a game (maybe the second game after the trade, I don’t quite remember) was the season ended when Shumpert was traded.

The Scores died that day and they became “just” the Kings again.
Exactly. No question in terms of this season that the Kings were a better team with Iman Shumpert.

Chemistry and intangibles are things that none of the analytics experts will ever be able to quantify. The Kings upgraded with Barnes at the SF yet the team is playing worse. Barnes has much better stats than Shumpert yet the Kings team is playing worse.

Barnes is a far superior player to Shumpert offensively. Shumpert was playing like garbage offensively before the trade and his offense was so poor that it was starting to hurt the team. Barnes is about equal defensively to Shumpert but Barnes is much more versatile and can guard the bigger SF's and some PF's with his length. Barnes is also tremendous human being and does seem to show quiet leadership by example. Shumpert played with more passion and was better at "rallying the troops". Since his departure the Kings have lost their swagger. They don't play with that same edge and while other teams are ratcheting up their intensity down the stretch in an effort to make the playoffs.......the Kings seem to have lost some of that focus.

With all that said, I'd still rather take my chances with Harrison Barnes next season over Shumpert.

For me it's not Barnes vs. Shumpert.

Shump is what...6'5"? He's more of a defensive SG and occasional SF to me. Barnes is a two way SF with a bit of stretch 4 ability. I don't see how they can't both get playing time together.

He could've had Brewer's role right now. And that's not a knock on Brewer, he's fine. But ideally I would have preferred Shump taking those excess minutes.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Could have had both...
I feel like Vlade keeps doing this thing where he trades vets away to contenders to earn good will. He did it with Temple, then Shump. Not that there's anything wrong with that. If Houston goes all the way this year I'll be happy for Shump.

But Vlade may have overestimated the youngsters a bit. They still need that training wheels presence on the bench. I'm down to bring Shump back next season (in a reduced role, he was horrible on court his last month here) for his vet presence, and if his team goes all the way and he gets another ring, I could see him being open to coming back at that!

I’m still unsure what to make of Barnes. He’s not a bad player, and has been playing some D, but he’s a guy who I don’t really notice on the court as much. Offensively he’s been better lately as well. All this to say I think he’s a glue guy you can have on the team if your loaded at other positions. But the contract for that type of guy won’t be near what he’s making now

I think Barnes is a great player in all areas. Over time he might be the guy that emerges with leadership. Fox ands Bagley are the future but are probably too young to be leaders now.

For me it's not Barnes vs. Shumpert.

Shump is what...6'5"? He's more of a defensive SG and occasional SF to me. Barnes is a two way SF with a bit of stretch 4 ability. I don't see how they can't both get playing time together.

He could've had Brewer's role right now. And that's not a knock on Brewer, he's fine. But ideally I would have preferred Shump taking those excess minutes.
To me Shumpert is better than Bogi as a small ball 3. If Joeger really wanted to go that direction we should have kept Shumpert. It’s just another example of the front office and DJ being slightly out of sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.