[NBA] West Playoffs, Round One

How many first round upsets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The question wasn't necessary. Look at his shot charts. Check his shooting stats. Do some research on your own instead of peppering everyone with questions for once. It's like you are a freaking chatbot sometimes - unable to look up anything on your own.

I found KATs shot charts with a simple google search. Try it yourself if you are that interested in seeing how his shooting patterns have changed over the years. We aren't your personal librarians or researchers.

And my last comment wasn't snarky. This one is a bit more snarky. It's kind of a sliding scale.
It was absolutely necessary. A good conversation entails asking many questions to get to the root of the issue or reasoning. You may not like it but I assure you, it will continue on my part and you can continue to comment and make your comments like you have the other two times and we'll continue to move on.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It was absolutely necessary. A good conversation entails asking many questions to get to the root of the issue or reasoning.
Maybe. But here's the thing: only one of us in interested in having a "good conversation" about Karl-Anthony Towns (hint: it's not me). Therefore, I'm not going to be doing any more of your homework for you. I don't really care if you can't "figure out" why I don't like Towns. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a riddle for you to solve. If you want to try and solve it, anyway, you're going to have to do so without my cooperation.

Maybe. But here's the thing: only one of us in interested in having a "good conversation" about Karl-Anthony Towns (hint: it's not me). Therefore, I'm not going to be doing any more of your homework for you. I don't really care if you can't "figure out" why I don't like Towns. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a riddle for you to solve. If you want to try and solve it, anyway, you're going to have to do so without my cooperation.
It's a lot of trying to "toe the line" when you should just define yourself as one or the other.

I guess it boils down to where you tell a fence hopping chick "make up your damn mind girl".

Sigh. Wanted him 2 years ago before the breakout, now he's probably a 50 mil player once he hits FA after next year.
I think him and Sabonis would be a hard fit but yeah I remember you pushing him and Heirstein (Knicks C) a lot you were right on both counts. I think Denver royally F'ed up letting VB go he's way better than Gordon imo.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
no solving will be necessary, it's a unresolved topic for the time being.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
What do you consider to be the cutoff for the "modern" NBA? It's true that you can look back at a great big man like Bill Russell and say he was primarily a defensive player, but he was drafted way back in 1956. I'm not a big expert in the NBA pre-1990 or so, but the two big men that immediately come to mind (Wilt 1959; Kareem, 1969) were obviously superstars on the offensive end.

I went back through the 1990 draft (so, 33 years, 99 top-3 picks) and the only big men - not strictly looking at height - that seem to me to have been selected top-3 without any hope that they would be dominant offensive players on top of whatever defense they bring were Hasheem Thabeet, Tyson Chandler, and Shawn Bradley. You might suggest some others (Emeka Okafor? Had great college defensive numbers but was probably expected to be a good offensive player too?) but it seems to me that we're at least 30 years into the era where it's uncommon for a purely defensive big man to go high in the draft.
My original point if not well stated was that big men who are drafted high are still expected to play defense or they are widely regarded as busts. Which is why when 2018 gets redrafted, the year of "the return of the big man" only JJJ and maybe Ayton crack the top 10. Either way Ayton is in the bottom five of that list not in the top 4, which now seems to be set at Luka, Shai, Brunson and JJJ (and sometimes Trae).

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
It was absolutely necessary. A good conversation entails asking many questions to get to the root of the issue or reasoning. You may not like it but I assure you, it will continue on my part and you can continue to comment and make your comments like you have the other two times and we'll continue to move on.
It wasn't a conversation on opinions, it was a question of fact. When did KAT change his approach to shooting (more 3's, or whatever). It isn't something to be "reasoned", it is like asking when was the last lunar eclipse in the US. You keep asking people to look up factual information that you are just too lazy to look up yourself. And folks are getting more and more tired of it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Karl-Anthony Towns in the first half: 4-4
Karl-Anthony Towns in the second half: 1-5
Karl-Anthony Towns in overtime: 0-0

Towns fouled out in overtime, and was a -7 in a game his team won by 6, without him.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It wasn't a conversation on opinions, it was a question of fact. When did KAT change his approach to shooting (more 3's, or whatever). It isn't something to be "reasoned", it is like asking when was the last lunar eclipse in the US. You keep asking people to look up factual information that you are just too lazy to look up yourself. And folks are getting more and more tired of it.
you may be getting tired of it, which is unfortunate. you seem to want to control how people go about having their conversations.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
you may be getting tired of it, which is unfortunate. you seem to want to control how people go about having their conversations.
Peppering people with constant questions isn’t a conversation. It’s grilling them. Especially when the info is easy to find and you are too lazy to even try to contribute.

A better “conversation” with Slim on this would be something like: I noticed what you said about KAT’s shot selection. It looks like around 20xx he really started shooting more 3’s (or whatever) and then include some info on what the data shows, then follow up with any question on interpretation of that data you think Slim might be able to answer.

I don’t know if he would, but at least you are trying to participate in a meaningful way in the conversation.

Get it yet?

You are like the kid in the back seat of the car that keeps repeating the same question over and over again, ad nauseum, that doesn’t actually contribute most of the time.

There’s a give and take to conversion. You often dip into the “all take” without providing anything of substance (the “give” portion).

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Peppering people with constant questions isn’t a conversation. It’s grilling them. Especially when the info is easy to find and you are too lazy to even try to contribute.

A better “conversation” with Slim on this would be something like: I noticed what you said about KAT’s shot selection. It looks like around 20xx he really started shooting more 3’s (or whatever) and then include some info on what the data shows, then follow up with any question on interpretation of that data you think Slim might be able to answer.

I don’t know if he would, but at least you are trying to participate in a meaningful way in the conversation.

Get it yet?

You are like the kid in the back seat of the car that keeps repeating the same question over and over again, ad nauseum, that doesn’t actually contribute most of the time.

There’s a give and take to conversion. You often dip into the “all take” without providing anything of substance (the “give” portion).
the way I view a conversation and the way you do is different and that's completely fine. You telling me how it is from your perspective is simply incorrect. If multiple questions agitate you, you can always decline to carry on and we move on from there. Kids are simply curious, which is why they ask questions. Nothing wrong with that. Open up your realm of the world to new perspectives, you'd be much more willing to converse then.

Dillon Brooks sucks, bah gawd

I could’ve sworn he looked like a good offensive player when the Grizzlies first made the playoffs with Morant. I remember him putting together a good series against the Jazz.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
@kingsboi fwiw it seems like you are trying to bait him and catch him in some "gothca" moment.

Thats how I see the conversation. Its not one i would engage in personally.
I feel this way often when I have conversations with @kingsboi. I appreciate maybe he doesn't know and is sincere asking questions but after 3 or 4 rounds I have to bow out.

I don't want to discourage someone from having a sincere conversation but some self awareness wouldn't hurt. If someone says your conversation style is fatiguing ask yourself if they have a point and see if you can adapt.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
it's wild the Grizzlies started off not horribly and then are every bit as horrible as they were the other night to finish the first/start the second. I wish we could play them.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
@kingsboi fwiw it seems like you are trying to bait him and catch him in some "gothca" moment.

Thats how I see the conversation. Its not one i would engage in personally.
not at all. I'm all for asking as many questions as I find necessary to find out a reason. I suppose it depends on the individual who you are asking, some don't mind and others feel you are poking the bear, it's perfectly normal to have differing views, there's too many of us not to.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I feel this way often when I have conversations with @kingsboi. I appreciate maybe he doesn't know and is sincere asking questions but after 3 or 4 rounds I have to bow out.

I don't want to discourage someone from having a sincere conversation but some self awareness wouldn't hurt. If someone says your conversation style is fatiguing ask yourself if they have a point and see if you can adapt.
it's unfortunate you view it in this manner but that's absolutely your perspective to do so.

I mean we always joke about the unrealistic trade proposals Lakers fans always post on social media but I can’t blame them.

They got Hachimura, Dlo, Vanderbilt, Beasley, and Bamba. 2 valuable starters, 2 high level rotation players who can be starters, and a prospect for virtually no value whatsoever.

we were laughing that they thought they could get anything for Kendrick Nunn. No other team would get Rui for a player of Kendrick Nunn’s level. They’ve been as good as anybody since they unloaded 2 reserve players everybody knew they didn’t want. They completely remade their team on Westbrook and Nunn and a draft pick a half decade away.

I know I’ve said it a billion times already but you can’t tell me there wasn’t some level of collusion for the purpose of bolstering the Lakers. Utah could’ve got more for Vanderbilt. Washington could’ve got more for Hachimura. Basically, D-Lo and Beasley is the most the outgoing value should’ve netted the Lakers

This kind of relates to my post about the series Domas is having yesterday and keeping it perspective.

Anthony Davis in a lot of ways is having a very similar series for the Lakers outside of one blowout game. He’s missing some bunnies and just seems completely out of rhythm

it happens

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.