Kings in league's toughest Division?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Before the season began, common wisdom was that the toughest divisions in basketbal were the newly created Northwest (Minnesota, Denver, Utah, Portland and Seattle) and Southwest (San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans). The Pacific Division was considered the weak sister out West.

Well...here's what the divisions look like now -- by records at least, the Pacific Division has been the toughest division in basketball so far:

ATLANTIC
New York 8-7
Boston 7-8
Philadelphia 6-9
Toronto 7-11
New Jersey 3-12

CENTRAL
Indiana 10-6
Cleveland 10-6
Detroit 7-8
Milawulkee 4-9
Chicago 2-11

SOUTHEAST
Orlando 10-5
Miami 11-6
Washington 9-5
Charlotte 3-10
Atlanta 2-13

NORTHWEST
Seattle 14-3
Minnesota 10-5
Portland 8-6
Denver 8-7
Utah 8-8

PACIFIC
Phoenix 13-3
Sacramento 11-5
L.A. Clippers 10-6
L.A. Lakers 10-7
Golden State 3-12

SOUTHWEST
San Antonio 14-3
Dallas 11-6
Houston 6-11
Memphis 6-11
New Orleans 1-13

Good point. Even I was expecting a runaway division title for the Kings this year, but this has obviously changed. And what a disappointment the NW division has turned out to be so far. Of course, we're only a month into the season, but man, it's not nearly as dangerous as it originally looked.

The NW still looks pretty tough to me. It's the SW that seems to be the dissappointment so far with Memphis and Houston at the bottom.

Memphis, Houston and Denver have got to be some of the league's biggest disappointments this year. Along with New Orleans (again).

Depends on how good you perceive the Clippers to be. I actally think they are playoff bound, and thought they had a shot before the season started. But they will only have a shot if they get good play out of Jaric, Simmons, and even Maggette. If they continue their solid ball movement and defense, they can possibly sneak in as an 8 seed. But if those three start playing inconsistently they can easily fall into the bottom echelon of the Western conference.

Ultimately I think the Southwest will be toughest if the Rockets can play to their potential. If not, its still up in the air, cause of teams like Utah and Denver who might get better as the season goes (moreso Utah if Kiri gets healthy soon),

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Variant said:
Memphis, Houston and Denver have got to be some of the league's biggest disappointments this year. Along with New Orleans (again).
How can New Orleans be a disappointment when three of their starters (three former All-Stars, at that) are on the injured list? Take three starters off of virtually any team in the NBA, and they're going to stink.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
With Houston and Memphis undeachiving and Phoenix and Seatle espcialy over acheaving at the momet it creates an interesting skew...but honestly doe leage competition realy matter all that much for top teams?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I firmly believe this is the year when NO one team is going to shine from start to finish. There is more parity in the upper teams than I've seen in a long, long time - and there are few (okay, maybe four or so) really sucky teams.

This is what the NBA is supposed to be about, IMHO. I think we're going to see a lot of lead changes - and I think it could all boil down to one of the best post-seasons in a long time.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I've noted this before -- Suns victories have been over the league's pansies:

Atlanta, 2-13
Philadelphia, 6-9
New Jersey, 3-12
Chicago, 2-11
Dallas, 11-6
New Orleans, 1-13
Lakers, 10-7
Clippers, 10-6
Chicago, 2-11
Milwaulkee, 4-9
New Orleans, 1-13
Utah, 8-8
Clevland, 10-6

They are hugely improved this year, but facing Chicago twice, New Orleans twice, Atlanta & New Jersey will have this tendency to pad your record a bit. Half their wins are over the utter dregs of the league.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
I've noted this before -- Suns victories have been over the league's pansies:

Atlanta, 2-13
Philadelphia, 6-9
New Jersey, 3-12
Chicago, 2-11
Dallas, 11-6
New Orleans, 1-13
Lakers, 10-7
Clippers, 10-6
Chicago, 2-11
Milwaulkee, 4-9
New Orleans, 1-13
Utah, 8-8
Clevland, 10-6

They are hugely improved this year, but facing Chicago twice, New Orleans twice, Atlanta & New Jersey will have this tendency to pad your record a bit. Half their wins are over the utter dregs of the league.
Kings haven't exactly been dominatin the great teams either...

interesting point Brick....it will be interesting to see how this division progresses throughout the year

as for the kings western conference competition...i have CONFIDENCE that both Seattle and Phoenix will have a nice sized meltdown before the year is up...no worries

New Orleans is a disappoitnment _because_ all their stars are hurt, and as a result are not generating the excitement the league hoped for in their new city.