Kings hire Joe Dumars as front office advisor

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I think Vlade might have gotten his chains yanked a little bit. Vlade never wanted to be the GM so maybe having Dumars will help. I really wish they would have brought him in before last night and had him help with the draft.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I think Vlade might have gotten his chains yanked a little bit. Vlade never wanted to be the GM so maybe having Dumars will help. I really wish they would have brought him in before last night and had him help with the draft.
Really? Do you? Dumars drafted Darko instead of Carmelo. He signed Charlie V to huge contract that

Really? Do you? Dumars drafted Darko instead of Carmelo. He signed Charlie V to huge contract that
Dumars was the GM of Detroit for 14 years. There is going to be some misses in that span. The good far outweighs the bad. As for Darko ahead of Melo. They were in the position to take a project and non NBA ready player as their main rotation was already set. Possibly under different circumstances they go with Melo. He built a championship team though. He traded his best player on a 3 or 4 seeded team (Stackhouse) for Richard Hamilton. He gave Billups a shot. He gave Ben Wallace a shot. He hit on Tayshaun Prince mid first. The rebuild didnt go that well but mainly that they were still treading water in the weak east and not getting great draft position. it couldn’t hurt to have a guy with his experience and rep in the fold.

I don't think Vlade was embargoed from talking to someone like Dumars before draft night.
Maybe, but the timing seems a little odd. Even if not the case, it looks somewhat reactionary and this is the first voice outside of Perry coming in that is outside of Vlades circle. Vlade's strength is he gets along with everyone so I doubt there will be issues but Dumars is the type of hire that shifts the power structure in a FO. The thing with Vlade is by his own account it's a role he never even wanted. This was a really good hire IMO. He may have helped Vlade in his decisions last night and if he didn't it's a shame but there was no indication he was a part of the process and we didn't see him in any of the workouts the Kings hosted.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Maybe, but the timing seems a little odd. Even if not the case, it looks somewhat reactionary and this is the first voice outside of Perry coming in that is outside of Vlades circle. Vlade's strength is he gets along with everyone so I doubt there will be issues but Dumars is the type of hire that shifts the power structure in a FO. The thing with Vlade is by his own account it's a role he never even wanted. This was a really good hire IMO. He may have helped Vlade in his decisions last night and if he didn't it's a shame but there was no indication he was a part of the process and we didn't see him in any of the workouts the Kings hosted.
You know, sometimes a shoe is just a shoe.

But that shoe always seems to morph into something else around these parts. The smoke almost always precludes something. We heard the same things about Joerger around here, but that shoe eventually got up and walked on it's own. Surprise, surprise.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Funny cause Darko 1 Carmelo 0 on rings!
Well hell since you put it that way. Yeah Dumars is a draft day genius. Rodney White was stellar also. Guy took a bus to every town because he was scared to fly. That’s some top notch info gathering before you draft somebody

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
But that shoe always seems to morph into something else around these parts. The smoke almost always precludes something. We heard the same things about Joerger around here, but that shoe eventually got up and walked on it's own. Surprise, surprise.
Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I'll bow out - trying to keep that tin foil hat on all the time is exhausting. ;)

Well hell since you put it that way. Yeah Dumars is a draft day genius. Rodney White was stellar also. Guy took a bus to every town because he was scared to fly. That’s some top notch info gathering before you draft somebody
Did you read the article I sent a link to? Well check this out:

"With all of that in consideration, if all of those drafts were redone today based on current career WS:
  • 3 (9.09%) - Rank the same in career WS to where they were picked
  • 5 (15.15%) - Never played in the NBA
  • 7 (21.21%) - Rank worse in career WS than where they were picked (-181)
  • 18 (54.54%) - Rank better in career WS than where they were picked (+258)"
Not a bad record on reach picks.

So you are saying they called Dumas yesterday after the draft told him he got the job. Yeah I highly doubt that. I bet this was negotiated for a week or two at latest considering he had to leave his previous job. I doubt he up and left them hanging them dry.

So you are saying they called Dumas yesterday after the draft told him he got the job. Yeah I highly doubt that. I bet this was negotiated for a week or two at latest considering he had to leave his previous job. I doubt he up and left them hanging them dry.
It depends on who brought him in I guess. The path is key. Was this a Vlade hire, a Vivek hire? The same questions were asked when Perry was hired and he didn't last long. It's the same thing when coaches get someone hired onto their team that might be next in line. Happens all the time. With Vlade I don't think it matters much as he's taken on responsibilities he never really wanted. Vlade will probably gladly take the help anywhere he can get it as long as he has final say. Next year will be very important because that final say will eventually have an expiration date. Last year was a good turnaround on the heels of a disastrous offseason of fall back signings like Zbo and Hill. Last year wasn't a great success signing wise but at least the players fit. Lavine on paper was a good target but if they did land him, what would that have meant for Buddy Hield who had a break out season? As usual, common sense means a lot in building a roster that makes sense.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm absolutely amazed how people read things into something. Vlade is the guy that just fired Joerger and Williams. If anyone was showing the world who was in charge, it was Vlade, whether you agreed with his decision or not. Lets remember, he fired his assistant, and up to now, he hadn't hired a replacement. So bringing Dumars on board isn't a big surprise. It was just a matter of time before he hired someone to fill the vacancy.

I really like Vlade, but outside of his two top 5 draft picks Im not always sure what to make of his decisions.
I do think adding Igor as an assistant coach and now Dumars to the front office seem like respectable solid moves that should pay dividends.

Dumars comes from the Bad Boyz Piston era with tons of FO experience. I'm sure he can offer lots of insight that no one else in the current FO has or would of considered.

Good personality split between Vlade & him. Bet their conversations would be pretty interesting to eavesdrop on.

I'm absolutely amazed how people read things into something. Vlade is the guy that just fired Joerger and Williams. If anyone was showing the world who was in charge, it was Vlade, whether you agreed with his decision or not. Lets remember, he fired his assistant, and up to now, he hadn't hired a replacement. So bringing Dumars on board isn't a big surprise. It was just a matter of time before he hired someone to fill the vacancy.
It’s staggering how some people can read things into everything. If you rewind 12 months ago exact same thing was being said when Kings hired Williams. Fast forward a year and Vlade fired Williams.

Some people are just reactionary by nature and read something into things that is just not there. We needed to beef up the front office and we did with Dumars. Some people didn’t like the draft selections and all of a sudden ownership is making a move! :rolleyes:

On a nother note, I am wondering if Ken Catanela and Dumars were in Detroit at the same time (at least towards the end of Dumars’ tenure with the Pistons)

Haha, how can you not with the organizations history though? Many of the people that read into things the last few years were proven right more than a few times already. Speculation is what makes fandom go 'round.