[Game] Kings @ Heat - Monday, Oct. 29 - 4:30 PDT

I think the main reason is Fox. He's a great player, and he's a leader to boot.
I think the main reason is Bjelica.

Fox is improving. His D is worlds better. He often does a better job of finding shooters. He does a great job of pushing the pace.....

But 8 assists versus 6 turnovers is bad.
Shooting 23.5% from 3 is bad
Shooting 65.3% from the line is bad.

He can’t be classified a great player with that level of inefficiency and I bet even Fox would say that comment. Bjelica is leading us right now.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Fox is improving. His D is worlds better. He often does a better job of finding shooters. He does a great job of pushing the pace.....

He can’t be classified a great player with that level of inefficiency and I bet even Fox would say that comment. Bjelica is leading us right now.
One of those turnovers was him dribbling out the clock to close out the game. And most of those TOs came in the first half. In the second half, he was much more locked down. Not saying that excuses that A:TO ratio but just providing a bit of context.

Breathe. You're drowning in numbers and stats. Enjoy the win for the moment. Crunch your numbers in the morning.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I think you're vastly underestimated how Fox affects the game. It's not in the stats. What makes him great is that he doesn't need great stats to have a major positive impact for this team. It's the fact that he forces the opposition to collapse toward him, which in turn makes for easy shots for others. There is no statistic for that. We didn't see it last year because last year he was a thoroughbred running a plough-horse offense with several plough-horse players. Now you can see it: He puts tremendous pressure on the opposing team because of his speed. And then there's his defense. That's in the "wow" category. When he wants to he puts tremendous defensive pressure on the opposing point guards. I love Bjelica. He's a Christmas present that has come early. But Fox is the driving force on this team, and from what the other players, including Bjelica, have said, he's the leader. And that's from a freaking 20-year old. Holy Moly. We have someone very very special on this team. It gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Not quite sure how it happened but we're some how further along in the rebuilding process than the Mavs, Suns, and all the other "good" franchises that were getting praised in the offseason.
It's that elusive, unquantifiable secret ingredient -- team chemistry. Sticking with a coach for more than two years, bringing in high-character guys who like each other, re-building the offense from the ground up around our two best players -- all of these things contribute but you still don't know how it's going to work out until the season gets underway. That highlight reel someone put together last season of all the clutch shots from our young guys was pretty telling though. There were legitimate reasons for optimism despite our record last year and so far handing the keys to De'Aaron and Willie to carry this team has been working like gangbusters.

I'm pleased as punch at the progress De'Aaron is showing. My crazy dream of an all De' Lineup (I think it was DeAaron Fox, DeAnthony Melton, DeMar DeRozan, DeMarcus Cousins, and DeAndre Ayton) is never going to happen but nonetheless I'm happy with the guy we got. Huge character guy and a leader on both ends of the court. Willie still frustrates the hell out of me every time he opens his mouth and I don't believe for one minute that he'll keep up this level of play once he gets paid (sorry everyone, just how I feel) but I do think sticking with him for 4 years has paid dividends as he perfectly compliments Fox and maybe if he can at least give us 80% of this effort every night the balance will be made up by veteran savvy and improved familiarity in Coach Joerger's system.

One of those turnovers was him dribbling out the clock to close out the game. And most of those TOs came in the first half. In the second half, he was much more locked down. Not saying that excuses that A:TO ratio but just providing a bit of context.
Yeah that’s fair but his A:TO isnt where it needs to be yet for the season either. That being said he is kicking the ball out like he never did last year.

TO number 6 was holding the ball as the end when the 24 second clock expired. He should have passed it to Buddy with 2 seconds left.

Bjelica is leading us right now.
Not so fast.

We all like Bjelica and appreciate what he's contributing to the team. He's made numerous clutch shots during moments in games when it could have slipped away from the KINGS. There's really no disputing that.

But, he's not the one pushing pace. FOX is that guy (WCS has been important too). As someone else pointed out a few days ago, when FOX goes to the bench, the teams production and efficiency go into the tank. If De'Aaron doesn't play tomorrow night, we may see just that.

I really don't care what his assist-to-turnover ratio is if the KINGS are scoring 118 per game & as many buckets in the paint and on the break as they have been — then neither should anyone else. The only stat that really matters is the final score. And so far they've been on the good side of that stat more than the bad.

Last edited:
TO number 6 was holding the ball as the end when the 24 second clock expired. He should have passed it to Buddy with 2 seconds left.
Great point. Another example how stats don't always tell the entire story. That kind of play happens a lot, actually.

I'd also think it's important to add that our KINGS point total tonight was the most Miami has surrendered so far this young season. That includes a recent game against Portland. Through the first 2 weeks, the HEAT have been among the leaders in team defense. And the KINGS ran them up and down the floor tonight -- on the road and in their building no less.

It's an impressive win for a young team, to say the least.

Not so fast.

We all like Bjelica and appreciate what he's contributing to the team. He's made numerous clutch shots during moments in games when it could have slipped away from the KINGS. There's really no disputing that.

But, he's not the one pushing pace. FOX is that guy. As someone else pointed out a few days ago, when FOX goes to the bench, the teams production and efficiency go into the tank. If De'Aaron doesn't play tomorrow night, we may see just that.

I really don't care what his assist-to-turnover ratio is if the KINGS are scoring 118 per game & as many buckets in the paint and on the break as they have been. And neither should anyone else. The only stat that really matters is the final score. And so far they've been on the good side of that stat more than the bad.
The point is both the Kings and Fox have improved tremendously but thank goodness that have lots of upside still. Fox’s ATO and TS% are not good and yet his pace is so fast he does impact the game. When he fixes his ATO and TS% he will legitimately be an all star and lead this team deep in the playoffs.

I shutt

its definitely Fox. Not like he’s been turning it over like that every night

He’s been super consistent and no doubt been the leader of this whole pace movement to begin with.

This was a fantastic win.

Best of all, the Kings are winning games in a sustainable way, assuming the young guys don't hit a wall from all the extra running.

And there are still some major areas for growth: bench production, free throw shooting, rebounding, team and individual defense, higher numbers of threes taken and made etc. And Bogi hasn't even played yet.

I started off this season just hoping for development of the young guys and for the Kings 1st rounder to not be the #1 overall pick. Now? I'm legitimately expecting them to have a chance to win on nights when they aren't playing the Warriors.
You don't think we have a chance against Warriors? :eek:

I think the main reason is Fox. He's a great player, and he's a leader to boot.
I think the main reason is the large cast of very different characters we have....on any given night, Willie or Shump or Fox or Bjelica or Buddy can break loose for major points while the rest contribute at their normal respectable levels. You never know who it will be. How do you prepare for that????

Doesn't make any difference and really not that important but shot clock violations count as TEAM turnovers, not personnal turnovers.
So :
- Buddy passing the ball at the last second was useless
- Fox holding the ball was NOT his 6th turnover (https://stats.nba.com/game/0021800089/playbyplay/)

Not quite sure how it happened but we're some how further along in the rebuilding process than the Mavs, Suns, and all the other "good" franchises that were getting praised in the offseason.
We may have found that magic combination of players that is much greater than the sum of their parts. Hard not to get excited...haven't felt this way since 1999. That team was 3 years away, and this feels the same.