[Game] Kings @ Heat - Monday, Oct. 29 - 4:30 PDT

Buddy has turned into a top two way player with his work ethic and hustle. Not many teams can keep up with us this year. I am glad we have a vet like Shump on the team to bring intensity, I am also glad we have a vet like Bjelica to bring some smarts and execution.

Some of the passes our team has made tonight were wild, I am wondering what our team will look like with Bogi back. Looks like Giles is going to Dleague with Kosta Back. I just hope Kosta does not take away from Bagley's minutes.

Think Kosta was more or less a "matchup" play to combat the 2 beefy centers the Heat play for 48 minutes. Bagley and Giles just don't have the size yet to battle dudes like that in the post.

gunks

Hall of Famer
So to review:

Pace
Positionless basketball
Vlade Divac
Dave Joerger

All of a sudden, Vivek Ranadive is looking a lot smarter. ;)
I might as well eat crow on this one too. :eek:;)

I always thought he'd be a good owner if he'd just chill out and let the people he hired do their thing!

Now if somebody could just talk to him about the shaka thing. .... but I guess nobody is perfect. :p

Except Willie's RFA season happened to correspond with one of the strongest free agency seasons in years so there is a strong chance Willie gets overlooked as team after team looks to throw max money at Klay Thompson.
yep

KD
Klay
Kawhi
Jordan
Kyrie
Butler
Boogie
Kemba
Middleton
Bledsoe
Tobias Harris
Millsap (Team Option)
Gasol (PO)
Dragic ( PO)
Harrison Barnes (PO)
Whiteside (PO)
Teague (PO)
Randle (PO)

So while a lot of teams of money to spend, this FA class is absolutely loaded. If this is the WCS who comes to play all season, I think we'll be closer to the 18-22/season range rather than a max range. Just too many other options that teams won't want to tie up their money early to a RFA.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You picked the right night to talk about a Klay Thompson max contract. :D He was going to get it anyway, but a half dozen more GMs might have just talked themselves into making him an offer after he knocked down 10 triples by half-time.
I'm very glad Jerry is retired or else he and Grant would've spent the entire second half talking about that time they saw Klay score 37 points on us even though we all remember it too.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
On top of everything else - for almost 2 decades a trip to Miami was a scheduled loss. I mean a loss by 30. I remember year after year saying “whatever - it’s the Miami trip what do you expect with rich young guys in South Beach”.

Now we have won two in a row there. It’s crazy.
For some reason Bjeli doesn't strike me as the partying type and Fox and Bags are still too young to go clubbing.

gunks

Hall of Famer
You know, I haven't felt this good about the team since the Golden Era!

I can actually enjoy basketball based on the merits of the team I root for! For too long I've had to watch the NBA through the negative lens of schadenfreude, only deriving pleasure by rooting for teams I hate to fail. It was unhealthy! Nobody should have rely on such negativity for pleasure! That's toxic!

It's much healthier now that I can have it both ways!

Kings are 4-3 and the Lakers are now 2-5! Muhahaha!

You picked the right night to talk about a Klay Thompson max contract. :D He was going to get it anyway, but a half dozen more GMs might have just talked themselves into making him an offer after he knocked down 10 triples by half-time.
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t he score 37 pts in a single quarter. I’ve heard that somewhere. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I can actually enjoy basketball based on the merits of the team I root for! For too long I've had to watch the NBA through the negative lens of schadenfreude, only deriving pleasure by rooting for teams I hate to fail. It was unhealthy! Nobody should have rely on such negativity for pleasure! That's toxic!

Got you something:

1540867952229.png

I thought this was coming on at 7:30 PST, not EST. Saw the score in the scrolling marquee while watching another game and boy was I surprised. Is this real life? All of this with a young Bagley and no Bogdon. There is A LOT to be excited about right now!

It seems as though WCS + skilled euro-big = good things. Im serious. They both put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses for different reasons. They have their opponents scrambling all over the GD place.

yep

KD
Klay
Kawhi
Jordan
Kyrie
Butler
Boogie
Kemba
Middleton
Bledsoe
Tobias Harris
Millsap (Team Option)
Gasol (PO)
Dragic ( PO)
Harrison Barnes (PO)
Whiteside (PO)
Teague (PO)
Randle (PO)

So while a lot of teams of money to spend, this FA class is absolutely loaded. If this is the WCS who comes to play all season, I think we'll be closer to the 18-22/season range rather than a max range. Just too many other options that teams won't want to tie up their money early to a RFA.
Lots of small forwards on that list. Wonder if we keep passing the ball if might be able to snag one.

Yeah loved how we generally shared the ball. We had some problems early forcing the ball against Whiteside and making him look like an All-Star. Second half we got smarter and kicked the ball out. Good to see!!!

You guys wanted the vets to sit. You wanted the Kings to hand the reins to the kids. Well, that's what we've got. Barring severe foul trouble and the need to put an extra body on the court, I don't think we're gonna see much of KK.
I did, but will take the wins :)

On a slightly more serious note, KK getting backup minutes behind Giles is not bad. Giles is clearly not ready, and can gain with some time in Stockton. Will help both him and the team in the long run. Once he is in a better place, we also will be able to better judge if he is a 4 or a 5. In the former case, we have to resolve the logjam there, and also see if KK should be part of the team next year (all the more important, since Willie might demand a huge payday, which Vlade might have to think hard about). Playing KK also keeps his trade value high, if we want to explore that option around the deadline.

ps: Don't want to start a debate about Willie. We should of course keep him. Just saying that there might be some tough negotiations to deal with at the end of the year, but that will be a good problem to have.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Im well aware im going to get flamed, but can we please stop saying "A Middleton" and "A Tobias Harris" as though they are pokemon or magic the gathering trading cards? MMmmmK?
Why do people say they know they're gonna get flamed when the post they make is nowhere near flame-worthy?

gunks

Hall of Famer
Im well aware im going to get flamed, but can we please stop saying "A Middleton" and "A Tobias Harris" as though they are pokemon or magic the gathering trading cards? MMmmmK?
Right?

I mean, we just have to keep leveling up JJ and hopefully he'll evolve into his legit 3 and D form! Dunno if he has an evolution past that though....

(PS: this isn't me flaming you. I just had to keep the metaphor going... all in fun!)

Right?

I mean, we just have to keep leveling up JJ and hopefully he'll evolve into his legit 3 and D form! Dunno if he has an evolution past that though....

(PS: this isn't me flaming you. I just had to keep the metaphor going... all in fun!)
I went on the journey with you.

I've also noticed that its something people tend to do when talking about more marginal players. Nobody ever says "A LeBron James". Its always "A Robert Covington" or "A Quincy Pondexter" or "A Semore Buhts".