Kings @ Heat Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Kings passed up a golden opportunity to win an opening game in a long time. In a game that didn't deserve a winner - Wolves ended up with an accidental and unintentional win. Kings have 3 more games left on this road trip, none of them in Texas before their home opener against the Grizzlies. Kings will also play their first back to back set.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Piksi's Kings "Power rankings" - trying a new feature here. Will have noting to do with the way BSPN does it - but it might have the same quality in which case a "Slim treatment" will be applied.

After the 1st game of the season Kings improved their high pick chances by losing to the direct competition. From the first couple days of the season we are unfortunately still too good for top 5 pick

As for our PO chances - the odds are still the same at 0%
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I totally forget to "bash" Brad Miller for the stellar, professional behavior. Ended up being very conventional for Brad as he really didn't have to make that annoying East coast trip. Way to show leadership and maturity. Also, I am blaming him for the long 6 minutes that #9 spent on the court. On the other hand - kids got more playing time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of the #9 - WTF is he doing on the court during the game. How the hell does one get the idea to consider him as an option for anything. I always wonder what the thought process is on that one ? Something like - "I need to change something. We need defense, rebounding and hustle. We need a big body in there, Hm, who do I have there ? Let's see. Nah, not him, especially not him. There - Kenny can do that. :rolleyes: Worst part - a thought process like that appears to be good enough for a coaching job and a good salary. I just don't get it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Thompson seems to be promising one You get past the fact that he is tall, can't shoot threes and tries to rebound. Sure - not our usual type of a big man but what can You do ? Now, we have to show patience and support the kid especially when he has bad games which he will. Keep it up kid!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Spencer is not a bust and he will never be dominant center. Anything else is possible. He needs to play a lot regardless on ups and downs. We need to test his durability. Man, he could use Vlade as a coach and will soon need some acting lessons too because he will never be able to "push" with Odens and Bynams.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I like Salmons trade value if he continues to play this way. He might be worth something. What i don't like is the feeling that I have about our GM really letting him go. Maybe I will be proven wrong. It is very simple math. Salmons is not the youngest and a team where Salmons is one of the best players will never be any good. These 2 equations have one solution - he needs to go as soon as good deal is on the table. I really don't mind him but if we get a chance - we have to think future here
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin didn't have a great start in the season, Not a big deal at all. Just wondering how this will affect his chances to win the scoring title:rolleyes: Seriously, Kevin will be a focus of any team deciding to take us seriously enough to defend us. He will play much better but his efficiency will suffer because he is the man now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Why bother with training camps ? What are they for. We have one before each season and our defense is not any better, we still don't rebound and turn over too much like they played together for the first time. What exactly is the coaching stuff that we have doing in camp, practice ? Frustrating.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
When 2 bad teams play - such games happen. Neither team is consistent over 48 and knows how to win but one has to because that is the rule. Wolves got one this time. Both teams equally bad. Their bench was somewhat better because we only had one player contributing.
Award Time

First TDM of the season goes to Mr Love. Welcome to the NBA - sponsored by Sacramento Kings "defense" He killed us slowly - literally.
LW-VC award went to M.M. No triple double this time.
RA&1 award went to Ollie. He is still "alive" - seriously
JHA award went to Kevin Martin. Won't happen too many times
SAR - Methuselah award went to Bobby:eek: He looks really old out there

new award for player in the game that beats the theory of big numbers - I will call it Mikki and the first one goes to Mikki "stone hands" Moore who didn't lucked out for a rebound in 20 minutes on the floor beating the theory of big numbers

WTF moment of the game - #9 on the floor
Heat are next and they suck. They lost to Knicks who also suck in a horrendous game in which Knicks led big and tried to give it away but couldn't They have talent but no front line. At least on a Halloween night - I will be able to pretend that #9 is actually a costume. We can win this but we might not. We haven't won there in a long time. It is their home opener so maybe even some people will show up. I expect a similar game to the previous one in terms of quality
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin - don't worry about it
Beno - we need more
Salmons - keep it up
Mikki - he wears a Halloween costume every day
Spencer - nice

Thomson - do it again
Bobby - sad
rest - mateen

Muss Junior - come on man
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Heat rebuilding the right way and still having Wade and Marion. I don't know half of their roster which is good for them. Beasley will win TDM. Banks will go for LW-VC. Other awards are in play. We have a chance to avoid a first streak of the season. Won't be easy but is is doable.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Awww...Come on Piksi, wait until we actually suck at rebounding in a game to bash our sucky rebounding. We beat the wolves on the glass 45 to 40! I'm sure things will be back to normal against the heat.

The rest of the piksism well deserved though. Grand ole game thread as always.

Thompson vs. Beasley rematch! JT won round one in college. Lets see him do it again!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I want some Donte. Will he be active tonight?
He wasn't active on Wednesday. I don't know of any way to find out ahead of time whether a player is active or not, but my guess is that he will be one of our inactive players tonight. In fact, barring injuries he will probably not be active often for the first month or two. I wouldn't expect anything more than spot/garbage time for him before maybe February.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Last edited:
6' 10" here:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3418

But you have a point. :) Of course, they could just be confused, because they also have him at 6' 9" here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/roster?team=mia&sort=null

Only Magloire and Blount are true "bigs".

Edit - and their page for the Kings doesn't even have Brad on the roster.... ?
Draft measurements here put him at 6'8.25" in shoes (as tall as Donte Greene is barefoot), though listed NBA heights are all taller than the measurements.

His standing reach, according to the measurements, is 8'11" though, and he has a 7 foot wingspan, which is decent for a PF. Too bad Jason wasn't there for the measurements...

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Draft measurements here put him at 6'8.25" in shoes (as tall as Donte Greene is barefoot), though listed NBA heights are all taller than the measurements.

His standing reach, according to the measurements, is 8'11" though, and he has a 7 foot wingspan, which is decent for a PF. Too bad Jason wasn't there for the measurements...
I'd have liked to see standardized measurements for Thompson as well. Greene has the 6'11" label on him, but he's more like 6'9.5" in court shoes. I'd like to think that the 6'11" Thompson comes out closer to 6'10.5" in shoes but we don't really have anything to go by.

Spence will be matched up against Haslem, and I'm expecting another big game out of him. If Spence plays inside aggressively, they just don't have anyone that can deal with him on single coverage. This is all contingent upon him not shying away from physical play (Haslem is not reluctant to bang away on the inside), but judging from the last game, I'm not worried.

Kevin might struggle again though; Kevin can have a little bit of a tough time against athletic defenders with long wingspans, and if Marion matches up against him he might be in for a challenging night.

The 1st quarter was hard to stomach. 5 turnovers in the first 2 and a half minutes!!!! What's up with Beno too? I'd like to see Hawes and Thompson out there at the same time in the second quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.