Kings @ Grizzlies Game Thread 4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
6 more
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
On April 10th 2002 Kings won on the road against the Warriors 118-116 to extend the winning streak to 10 games and to improve to 59-19 for the season. The game was much closer than it needed to be since the Kings entered the 4th quarter with the 15 pt lead. And when it started to look like a complete disaster - Webber was there to save the day. Webber lead Kings with 31/12/5/3, Pedja had 24/5/3/2, Bibby had 17/5/6, DC had 15/5/4/5, Vlade had 12/11/7/4bl. Pollard came off the bench with 10/3.

The Sacramento Kings did not need Chris Webber at the start, but they needed all the help they could get from him at the finish.The league-leading Kings nearly blew a 20-point lead before barely holding on for a 118-116 victory over the lowly Golden State Warriors for their 10th straight win.Webber scored 31 points against his former team to lead six players in double figures for the Kings (59-19), who reduced their magic number for clinching the best record in the NBA and home-court advantage throughout the playoffs to one. But it was not as easy as it seemed it would be. Sacramento raced to a 30-10 lead without a single point from Webber, who scored 22 after halftime. The Kings maintained control throughout and took a 97-82 lead into the fourth quarter, where their offense sputtered.

"I was more mad than nervous during the fourth quarter because we let them back into the game," said Webber, who also had 12 rebounds.

"You have to give credit to the Warriors. They kept coming at us hard," Kings coach Rick Adelman said. "It was almost like it was too easy in the first quarter because we were shooting so well, and everything was going great."

"We allowed them to score 63 points in the first half, but we
played pretty good," Divac said. "I like the way we played tonight. It was kind of a wake-up call for us."

-------------------------------------------------------------
After a major slippage against the Jazz - Kings back on track with another close but still convincing lin against the Rockets. With the 31-45 record with 6 games to go Kings have about 10-15 wosses too many for what they desperately need. On the bright side - Kings have been eliminated from the POs and not even advanced math can help them anymore. With 31 wosses Kings share the 5 lowest amount of the same with 4 other teams making it strategically important to get another 6 lins and see what happen.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not every member of the Kings is aware of the fact that we are eliminated. Muss is still chasing his goal of winning the title and we should help him by giving him an opportunity to try to do that somewhere else. Ron as a math major in college - still has no clue about our elimination and if the SAS show wasn't canceled (thank god) - he would go there and guarantee the championship. Sometimes - I wish - I was this delusional. KT doesn't know because in his mind - all the games in which he hasn't started don't count, so basically in his mind - we still have sucky record but there is a half of the season left to play.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some guys knew it all along. The way Bibby and Miller have been "playing" after the all star break - they were eliminated long before we accepted it. SAR knows the best. He can feel it in his bones but it is still somewhat strange because it usually happened for him way earlier than this time around. Corliss knows it - he has been resting something ,ore often than playing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The kids don't care. They are excited about their opportunity to play and their season basically started just recently. They don't worry about wosses, lins or anything other than playing basketball. They are excited, hungry and the are reckless in a very positive way. They also make the veterans look pathetic - even more than they look by themselves. They make us being more excited about future and they make the games more bearable and lins more acceptable and we need lins badly.
----------------------------------------------------------------
If You still don't really buy into the concept of selective tanking to get a high draft pick or if You still remember Previs Ellison too well - I can refresh Your memory. If You watched TMac beat us by himself last night - that is what we need. Someone who can carry the team when things aren't going too well. Someone like Webber before the injury. We won't trade for that guy any time soon because we accumulated so many flexible pieces (garbage) that we can't get anyone to return our calls unless we introduce ourselves as telemarketers. It is that bad. Only way to do this - is do draft well this season. Look at the Grizzlies now and one year from now and just remember - I could have been us.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Up until now - I was all for shutting Brad Miller down because he is clearly not healthy and when You combine that with old slow and unmotivated - the final product is awful to watch. Watching the last couple games, made me realize that we need Brad right now more than ever because with him in the game lis are much easier to get than when he is sitting down. This guy used to be an all star but that ends up being a product of a great team and even greater coach who knew how to utilize those qualities the Brad has. Brad used to be a triple double threat every night in 2003/2004 season. Now we are happy if he gets double figures in any of the categories. He will be hard to move because of the contract and the health situation so after we draft another 6'6'' tweaner - KT & Brad is the future front line of the Kings.
Coach's corner sponsored by James Posey hopefully has only 6 more editions left and one eulogy after that. Muss was trying hard to woss the game against Rockets and he almost did but the 7 pt play at the end of the game didn't work again so back to the drawing board or in his case to the power point - to fix it. He let Brad play 29 minutes and played Ron 41 minutes. He still refuses to let Douby play. One day when that kid becomes solid player in the NBA - Muss will once again look like an idiot.
If it wasn't for TMac and Head - Kings would be on a wossing streak right now and SAR would still be mathematically playing to get into POs. Kings lead almost the whole game even in double digits. We shot poorly, attempted 31 threes only because there were no fours. In the first half we got to the line in the 2nd half we didn't. All in all kids played well again and we got the lin so it is all good.
AWARD TIME

Watching Refer Alston play last night - I realize that JH-KT award just isn't strong enough to express the level of suckage displayed by that man who shouldn't even be playing in any competitive level of basketball. I realized that Refer should have his own award and so I decided to introduce the RA-AND1- award.
The definition is provided by the veteran member of this community - Circa-1985-Fan
the 'AND 1' award...given to the player who just plays 1-on-1 basketball, shoots like crap and should have kept his game on the playground because he does his team no good??
I couldn't have said it better myself.

TDM award went to Luther Head because he was the one who saved us from a woss in the clutch.
LW-VC award went to Ron Artest for 2-14 shooting display. As a math major he should know the odds here;)
RA-AND1- award went to Refer Alston for making the NBA look like a joke and for almost making us get a woss.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grizzlies are next and it is a matchup of the 2 teams that need a win like the desert needs sand. Grizzlies have had a phenomenal season guided by the brilliance of Mr. West. With a little luck - Memphis is about to get back in track with a potential of winning a PO game sometimes. We weren't that smart and now it might be late. Both teams willtry hard to woss this game and Grizzlies are favorites because htey don't have a Muss to screw up. Our chance is the fact that enev a win wouldn't hurt Grizzlies much.
Williams - can't stay out of foul trouble mainly because he is actually competing
Kevin - back in track
Price - very nice
Cisco - almost cost us a lin last night:D
rest - mateen
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Muss - kool aid flavor of the night - whatever Posey had.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Grizzlies are 19-59 and I envy them for that. They will play young unknown guys which would make the TDM award wide open if it wasn't for Chucky Atkins even though more minutes for Ronnie can change that. Terence Kinsey is a dark horse for a career night also. You look at that roster and add Oden - and they go from 20 wins to at least 40 wins for sure. We need a lin so lin - it is.

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
Thank you again, Piksi. I do miss your commentaries during the off-season, which will be longer than usual this year.
I don't do off-seasons. 6-7 months of depression is all I can handle since WCF 2002. It took me a while and I mean a while to recover - partially since as You can see - I haven't fully recovered. I realized that - it was getting very unhealthy. So summers are off. I still visit the site and read if there is a topic that doesn't talk about "what ifs" I will probably stop by at draft day do see the reactions about another 6'6'' tweaner that we drafted so Douby doesn't feel lonely.

I don't do off-seasons. 6-7 months of depression is all I can handle since WCF 2002. It took me a while and I mean a while to recover - partially since as You can see - I haven't fully recovered.
I know you aren't around in the summer and I can't fault your reasoning. Your game threads and Brick's grades are something to look forward to when the season begins again. I also like VF's PBPs, which I often read thru, even tho I watch the games. (BTW, I'm not so sure I'm fully recovered either, as much as I keep telling myself I am. Maybe its not even possible to be that recovered. ;) )

alright. theres no way we're gonna lose this game. memphis is just...terrible. and garcia looks like he plans on making the most of minutes.

(do jinxs work when you do it on purpose?)

Mike MIKE MIIIKE STAY THERE. GOO Mike MIKE MIKE.

It's so quiet that you can hear Musselmen clearly the whole time.

I wish Douby was there. Oh well, congrats to the new dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.