Kings final cuts

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/Kings_release_Three-121472-58.html

KINGS RELEASE THREE

November 1, 2004

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The Sacramento Kings today released forwards David Bluthenthal and Alton Ford and guard Ricky Minard, it was announced by President of Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie. In a related move, the Kings placed guard Courtney Alexander on the injured list (sore left foot).

Bluthenthal averaged 3.4 points (.303 FGs, .182 3FGs, .667 FTs) and 1.4 rebounds in seven preseason outings for the Kings. Ford averaged 1.2 points (.200 FGs, .667 FTs) and 2.0 rebounds through five preseason games for Sacramento, while Minard, the Kings’ 2004 second round draft pick (48th overall), averaged 4.0 points (.240 FGs, .444 FTs), 1.5 rebounds and 1.3 assists over four preseason contests.

The Kings’ active roster has been updated and now stands at 12 players.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Okay then. Pretty much as predicted. Barnes & Evans were no brainers. Alexander is stashed on IR until he heals, then maybe somebody gets squeezed. And Daniels sneaks in as the 12th man for the moment (guy most likely to get squeezed if Courtney recovers).

I still hope we are taking a long look at the waiver wire but the coaches seemed to see the same thing we all did -- those were clearly the best guys in camp.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Makes great sense. Blu and Minard did not demo what they did in summer league and put themselves on the bubble after the China trip. Ford never did show much.

Now the Kings get athletic with decent shooters in Evans, Barnes and Alexander (once he is off the DL) and a really good ball handler and rebounder in Daniels. Now Petrie has to find a big body behind OTag and Miller.

This group should be the most athletic we've had in many years. Lets see tomorrow night.

Bricklayer said:
I still hope we are taking a long look at the waiver wire but the coaches seemed to see the same thing we all did -- those were clearly the best guys in camp.
I kind of get the impression that they wanted Bluthenthal to succeed, but Barnes clearly outplayed him. Congrats to the local lad. Here's hoping that Evans is one of those rare "finds," a guy who somehow slipped through the cracks that turns out to be a player. If not, maybe there's still hope for Alexander. I was really looking forward to seeing him play in the preseason because the guy has put up some impressive numbers at the highest level before.

I'm with you, Brick, in hoping that the Kings are looking long and hard at the waiver wire, because they're incredibly thin at the big spots until Ostertag is healthy.

W

Whit Eboy

do kings still need to pay for David Bluthenthal and Ricky Minard?

a little of bit surprise that Bluthenthal and Minard are both released.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Yup, makes perfect sense to me. If Alexander recovers and palys well I will miss Daniels game... he is just my kind of palyer. That being said I see him reapering in the NBA on another roster if the Kings have to let him go. Personaly I am looking forward to seeing more of Evans... the guy is exciting to watch.

Bricklayer

Whit Eboy said:
do kings still need to pay for David Bluthenthal and Ricky Minard?

a little of bit surprise that Bluthenthal and Minard are both released.
Both guys had partially guaranteed $300,000 contracts I believe. Which should mean that they got the first $150,000 for just showing up in camp, but would have need to have survived until December 15(?) to get the second $150,000. So that's $300,000 down the drain ($150,000 each) for being wrong about those guys (or $300,000 saved for not keeping them into December if you're an optimist ;) ).

W

Whit Eboy

Bricklayer said:
Both guys had partially guaranteed $300,000 contracts I believe. Which should mean that they got the first $150,000 for just showing up in camp, but would have need to have survived until December 15(?) to get the second $150,000. So that's $300,000 down the drain ($150,000 each) for being wrong about those guys (or $300,000 saved for not keeping them into December if you're an optimist ;) ).
thanks.

btw, i am an optimist. ;) kings r going to get the rings this year.

The cuts were perfect. There was hardly any doubt about them. Evans is a really exciting player. Hope he can continue the good form in the season. Our team looks really good. With a big man it should be complete and have a decent shot at the title.

why do everybody say we need a big man? don't we have Otag aleady? how long is he gonna heal anyway? (when he's in Jazz, seems to me he's always around..........maybe that's just me........:p )

Bricklayer

We've only got the 4 big guys. More than enough as long as we stay healthy (indeed I think Darius is going to squeezed for minutes). But normally you would carry a 5th guy back there as well in case somebody gets hurt (and our guys always get hurt), and to play garbage minutes SO that nobody gets hurt.

I thought I should throw this in here about Evans. I was looking up some of his stats from last year playing in the Euroleague for Benetton Basket Treviso.

Averages for the 14 game regular season - 30 minutes, 17 pts, 65% 2-pt fg, 29% 3-pt fg, 77% FT, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1.8 TOs, 0.5 blocks.

And in the six game post season - 35 minutes, 18.5 pts, 55% 2-pt fg, 53% 3-pt fg, 68% ft, 3.3 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 1.1 steals, 1.0 turnovers, and 0.3 blocks.

This also included one 32 point game with 8 boards in the regular season, and a 33 point game in the final 16.

I'm glad the guy is getting a shot, he's a good player and has very high shooting percentages. He didn't pull the trigger a lot, and seems like he picked his spots as his total number of shots per game was usually pretty low.

If anyone wants to check these out go here:
http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=BRY&temporada=E03

I have two questions:

1. Who backs up Christie, Evans or Martin?

2. Is Matt Barnes the bakup Small Forward we are looking for or are we just settling?

I really wonder why the Kings didn't keep one of the partial-guarantee guys on the injured list (they've already paid for their services through December, right?). I would have liked to see them keep Minard stashed on the injured list and see if he panned out over a year of practice (he was fairly impressive this summer), but oh well.

Good to see Barnes on the roster.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Purple Reign said:
I have two questions:

2. Is Matt Barnes the bakup Small Forward we are looking for or are we just settling?
As long as Boby jackson is healthy there is not much time available anyway, but I would play Evans over Martin except in garbage time. Evans not only is agresive in his all out asualt on the hoop but had the strnth to follwo through... I think in actual NBA paly Evans will be more effective than Martin... but hey the real anser paly em both for a while and go with the one that is most productive.

Purple Reign said:
I have two questions:

Didn't see the answer to question 2 in the previous post. My 2 cents: Barnes had some moments playing for the Clippers last year. He clearly outplayed Bluthenthal in the preseason. But -- and this is not a knock, because it's good to see a local kid make his dream come true -- he's probably no better than a 10th man. So did the Kings settle? Probably, although Barnes is perfectly adequate as long as Peja's capable of playing 40 minutes a game. That's why there's been so much discussion about Eddie Robinson in this forum.

Bricklayer

thedofd said:
Didn't see the answer to question 2 in the previous post. My 2 cents: Barnes had some moments playing for the Clippers last year. He clearly outplayed Bluthenthal in the preseason. But -- and this is not a knock, because it's good to see a local kid make his dream come true -- he's probably no better than a 10th man. So did the Kings settle? Probably, although Barnes is perfectly adequate as long as Peja's capable of playing 40 minutes a game. That's why there's been so much discussion about Eddie Robinson in this forum.
Kind of my thoughts too. Barnes has earned his roster spot. But I'm not sold on him as a trustworthy rotation player. Would prefer to have a real player in front of him and behind Peja, and have Barnes in reserve as a pretty good 11th/12th man.

HndsmCelt said:
As long as Boby jackson is healthy there is not much time available anyway, but I would play Evans over Martin except in garbage time. Evans not only is agresive in his all out asualt on the hoop but had the strnth to follwo through... I think in actual NBA paly Evans will be more effective than Martin... but hey the real anser paly em both for a while and go with the one that is most productive.
I disagree with that. I think there is more than adequate time behind Christie, because I wouldn't go so far as to say that Adelman likes to play the Bobby-Bibby combo a lot. At least, I don't think it would be very smart to, since most of the time you sacrifice size as well as depth in case one of the two struggles.

I also would prefer to see Martin as Christie's main backup because there is such a tremendous opportunity here to develop a replacement for an aging Christie, and the faster this process is, the better. I think we can all agree that Martin is definitely capable of developing quickly, so fears of another episode of the Gerald Wallace show are non-existant. I expect Evans to spend most of his time backing-up Peja and doing some stints as the 3rd SG. Of course, all of this could change in times where more strength or size is needed on defense.

Bricklayer

slugking50 said:
Evans annd Barnes are marked as SF's.
Evans is only 6'5". Really looks like an OG to me. Barnes though I think is a legit SF (and I like the versatility of his game). Only question is whether he's a good enough one to earn rotation minutes or whether we're going to have to run Peja into the ground at 40+ minutes again.

Have I mentioned that Eddie Robinson just hit the open market? ;)

Bricklayer said:
Evans is only 6'5". Really looks like an OG to me. Barnes though I think is a legit SF (and I like the versatility of his game). Only question is whether he's a good enough one to earn rotation minutes or whether we're going to have to run Peja into the ground at 40+ minutes again.

Have I mentioned that Eddie Robinson just hit the open market? ;)
Yeah I noticed that...... I forgot about Daniels..... Went to corect myself but my computer went haywire... Evans and Martin are SG's and Daniels and Barnes are the Sf's. Well if Daniels stays....