Kings' Draft Picks

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sacramento Kings first round draft picks

2002 -- Dan Dickau, Gonzaga
2001 -- Gerald Wallace, Alabama
2000 -- Hidayet Turkoglu, Efes Pilsen (Turkey)
1999 -- None
1998 -- Jason Williams, Florida
1997 -- Olivier St. Jean, San Jose State
1996 -- Predrag Stojakovic, PAOK (Greece)
1995 -- Corliss Williamson, Arkansas
1994 -- Brian Grant, Xavier
1993 -- Bobby Hurley, Duke
1992 -- Walt Williams, Maryland
1991 -- Billy Owens, Syracuse
Pete Chilcutt, North Carolina
1990 -- Lionel Simmons, La Salle
Travis Mays, Texas
Duane Causwell, Temple
Anthony Bonner, St. Louis
1989 -- Pervis Ellison, Louisville
1988 -- Ricky Berry, San Jose State
1987 -- Kenny Smith, North Carolina
1986 -- Harrold Pressley, Villanova
1985 -- Joe Kleine, Arkansas
1984 -- Otis Thorpe, Providence

You can research their success yourself.

;)

http://www.insidehoops.com/teams/sacramento-kings-history.shtml

Simmons retired a King.
Anthony Bonner, I last saw on the Knicks in the mid 90's
Causwell, I last saw on the Heat in the late 90's
Travis Mays, I don't remember, did he end up in Atlanta or something?

I suppose the basketball reference site has all this info.

http://basketballreference.com/

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Simmons had a couple of very good years as one of those inflated stats guys on a bad team, then he hurt his knee and never recovered. Retired mid-90s somewhere.

Bonner bounced around for a few years, definitely was with the Knicks for a while, and then was out of the league by the late 90's.

Causewell hung around for a long time as very limited minute backup in Miami for Zo Mourning. Might have made it inot the new millenium.

Mays flopped out of the league -- we traded him to Atlanta for Spud Webb I think, and then he got hurt (achilles?) and was gone. Very short career.

Says all you need about the Kings of that era that in back to back years we had the #1 overall pick, and came up with Pervis Ellison, and then had 4 draft picks and only came up with one long term contributor

Bricklayer said:
Simmons had a couple of very good years as one of those inflated stats guys on a bad team, then he hurt his knee and never recovered. Retired mid-90s somewhere.

Bonner bounced around for a few years, definitely was with the Knicks for a while, and then was out of the league by the late 90's.

Causewell hung around for a long time as very limited minute backup in Miami for Zo Mourning. Might have made it inot the new millenium.

Mays flopped out of the league -- we traded him to Atlanta for Spud Webb I think, and then he got hurt (achilles?) and was gone. Very short career.

Says all you need about the Kings of that era that in back to back years we had the #1 overall pick, and came up with Pervis Ellison, and then had 4 draft picks and only came up with one long term contributor
I remember actually predicting all 4 of the first round pics in 1990, my friends were shocked...no lie.*L* Out of those 4 guys, I think that if Simmons wouldnt have gotten hurt he might have JUST retired, he was something special extremely multi-dimensional, his game was so smooth. I liked Mays, he had a sweet shot from the 3 pt. arc, but that was about it, he was a shooting guard what we tried to make play point, as was the case with all the guards we had after we traded Kenny Smith, our only true point guard until we got Spud, unless you count Rory Sparrow. Causewell was a big disappointment, so much talent, not enough desire, big head case. Bonner was hurt his first year with us for the most part, then after a decent 2nd year, he was traded.