Kings Down-Picks

A lot of people didn't even know who Lillard was. He didn't play for a major school, and at the time, some people thought he would be a risky pick.
Except it was reported this is who he wanted to draft except they we're worried about losing Thompson in free agency. So they drafted a bust instead of and all star.

Wait, so are you saying we gave up on Nik too soon while time after time lamenting any minutes given to WCS? Can you elaborate on this position about how Vlade has not inspired you? I feel like your sending different messages.
With WCS I believe it's an effort/motor issue. He has innate talent (athleticism/underrated jump shot), but I feel as if he's not putting forth maximum effort, which not only annoys me personally, but it's a trait that may be immutable. If I feel someone isn't working hard as a second year guy it's hard for me to see them ever doing it. But it's subjective. One of the red flags on him pre draft was "love for the game", and that's intuitively what I personally think the issue is with him. I could be wrong, but either way he negatively impacts games. Sincerely. Breaks momentum. He's not ready now IMO regardless of the issue

Nik lacked athleticism and confidence, and looked scared, like a deer in headlights. I didn't mind him being thrown in that trade at the time, but Vlade has to fess to it if he becomes a player

Vlade came into the job without typical credentials or experience. The Sixers trade has been widely questioned by media and fans alike. His two lottery choices in WCS and Papa haven't looked the role. The Papa selection was widely hailed as off the wall, which means Vlade was either ahead of the curve or behind it.

For me I feel as though f he's an ex player with good people skills. But do I trust him to know when to blow the team up, make a trade, or when to trade WCS if need be? From his record I can't right now

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So wait now we're still supposed to blow it up even though we're starting to get positive momentum?
Yes, dammit. If we don't blow it up soon, it might be too late. If things keep improving, Vlade might not look quite as inept as a few diehards think he is.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
With WCS I believe it's an effort/motor issue. He has innate talent (athleticism/underrated jump shot), but I feel as if he's not putting forth maximum effort, which not only annoys me personally, but it's a trait that may be immutable. If I feel someone isn't working hard as a second year guy it's hard for me to see them ever doing it. But it's subjective. One of the red flags on him pre draft was "love for the game", and that's intuitively what I personally think the issue is with him. I could be wrong, but either way he negatively impacts games. Sincerely. Breaks momentum. He's not ready now IMO regardless of the issue

Nik lacked athleticism and confidence, and looked scared, like a deer in headlights. I didn't mind him being thrown in that trade at the time, but Vlade has to fess to it if he becomes a player

Vlade came into the job without typical credentials or experience. The Sixers trade has been widely questioned by media and fans alike. His two lottery choices in WCS and Papa haven't looked the role. The Papa selection was widely hailed as off the wall, which means Vlade was either ahead of the curve or behind it.

For me I feel as though f he's an ex player with good people skills. But do I trust him to know when to blow the team up, make a trade, or when to trade WCS if need be? From his record I can't right now
I can think of one player who fits these credentials coming out of college, albeit one was a freshman and one was a junior, one was also a 18 year old, but Drummond comes to mind when I read these excerpts of yours...he fell because teams feared he wasn't always putting forth the effort. I think with the proper guidance and a little bit of hope, we have no choice but to give Trill at least another two seasons before we ship him out IMO.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can think of one player who fits these credentials coming out of college, albeit one was a freshman and one was a junior, one was also a 18 year old, but Drummond comes to mind when I read these excerpts of yours...he fell because teams feared he wasn't always putting forth the effort. I think with the proper guidance and a little bit of hope, we have no choice but to give Trill at least another two seasons before we ship him out IMO.
The rebuttal there is that Drummond is only 8 days older than Willie and showed a lot more in the NBA after the same amount of time and at a much younger age.

I agree there's zero reason to move WCS now (unless it's in a lopsided deal) but right now I'm definitely concerned about his lack of development.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The rebuttal there is that Drummond is only 8 days older than Willie and showed a lot more in the NBA after the same amount of time and at a much younger age.

I agree there's zero reason to move WCS now (unless it's in a lopsided deal) but right now I'm definitely concerned about his lack of development.
You and I both know that big men take a bit longer to come into their own in the NBA, even if they are juniors or seniors out of college. Trill's two main problems that were glaring were his foul problems and his inability to box anybody out. All that said, the Kings haven't proven that they can blossom a player into a productive player so the jury is out whether Trill will ever amount to anything as long as he is on this team.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You and I both know that big men take a bit longer to come into their own in the NBA, even if they are juniors or seniors out of college. Trill's two main problems that were glaring were his foul problems and his inability to box anybody out. All that said, the Kings haven't proven that they can blossom a player into a productive player so the jury is out whether Trill will ever amount to anything as long as he is on this team.
I was a big WCS proponent the year before he entered the draft and very happy when the Kings did draft him.

I did worry about his anemic rebounding. But I didn't worry about his effort level and commitment. But I do now.

The Kings have been a terribly run organization and have failed to properly develop players. But Joerger gave him a shot. It's on Willie to produce when given opportunities.

So far he has disappointed. But he'll get more. At this point it's on him to make the most of those opportunities.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I was a big WCS proponent the year before he entered the draft and very happy when the Kings did draft him.

I did worry about his anemic rebounding. But I didn't worry about his effort level and commitment. But I do now.

The Kings have been a terribly run organization and have failed to properly develop players. But Joerger gave him a shot. It's on Willie to produce when given opportunities.

So far he has disappointed. But he'll get more. At this point it's on him to make the most of those opportunities.
I really do believe that sitting Trill out for multiple games in a row will do the guy some good, if not from a psyche standpoint alone. He needs to see for himself that playing time isn't given just because you were a lottery pick and that you need to prove your worth in this league, help the team in some way, any way. Be a positive on the floor, not a liability. That is really the best we can hope for, unless Joerger and his staff are working with him privately, which I doubt anyway.

True - with most draftees it's never about talent. Every guy getting drafted is talented. Most of the time it's about confidence, opportunity, development staffs and coaches/franchises, who believe in you. Everybody bringing up Stauskas now, should maybe take a step back and wait how Willie and the rest of our kids will look in 2 years. Coach Joerger should embrace the youngsters as the future of this franchise. Our success in a year or two won't rest on the shoulders of Matt Barnes or Afflalo anymore. We need the youngsters! We can't afford another failure.

I really do believe that sitting Trill out for multiple games in a row will do the guy some good, if not from a psyche standpoint alone. He needs to see for himself that playing time isn't given just because you were a lottery pick and that you need to prove your worth in this league, help the team in some way, any way. Be a positive on the floor, not a liability. That is really the best we can hope for, unless Joerger and his staff are working with him privately, which I doubt anyway.
Multiple games? He needs to sit until he's no longer an active detriment, however long that is

dude12

Hall of Famer
WCS has come to Summer League out of shape both times. That is inexcusable. It also paints a picture of himself to go with his apparent low motor in games. Instead of being given the minutes, he needs to earn them.

I think that WCs needs a dose of reality and he's getting it. The ball is in his court. What he does and how he handles this reduced PT is on him now. When he gets his opportunities, he needs to play with big effort.

Also think that with our rookies being sent down and not really getting an opportunity to play with the parent club is a way of these guys watching, learning and having to earn it. It's smart and holds them accountable. I think in the long run it will pay off for the 3 rooks. It can pay off for WCS if he approaches this wisely and professionally. How professional is WCS? That is the first question that needs to be answered and he has to be the one providing the answer.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I don't mind the rooks getting burn down in the D-league.

If they looked ready, it would be one thing, but just like last night's turkey, they could use a bit more seasoning.

Although, if Malachi keeps killing it down there, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some real NBA minutes soon.

F

Fora Dragi

Is WCS down play due to his medical condition? If so, we prob should have checked it closely before drafting.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Yes, this has been my concern as well. Lack of energy/exercise tolerance can be a symptom of sickle cell.
I did a lot of reading last year and as he played significant minutes in Mexico City which I believe is higher in altitude than Denver, I think not. What COULD effect him is the fear of troubles. I don't know if he ever gets any symptoms like pain but I have never heard him complain of it. I think it's not physical.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
WCS has come to Summer League out of shape both times. That is inexcusable. It also paints a picture of himself to go with his apparent low motor in games. Instead of being given the minutes, he needs to earn them.

I think that WCs needs a dose of reality and he's getting it. The ball is in his court. What he does and how he handles this reduced PT is on him now. When he gets his opportunities, he needs to play with big effort.

Also think that with our rookies being sent down and not really getting an opportunity to play with the parent club is a way of these guys watching, learning and having to earn it. It's smart and holds them accountable. I think in the long run it will pay off for the 3 rooks. It can pay off for WCS if he approaches this wisely and professionally. How professional is WCS? That is the first question that needs to be answered and he has to be the one providing the answer.
I'm not sure what you mean by professional. You think because someone is struggling he's not trying or working on his game? Players tend to go through bad stretches. It's all part of the maturing process. He was known as a very hard worker at Kentucky, and he spent the entire summer working on his game. My personal opinion is that he's doing too much thinking on the court instead of reacting. Anytime your thinking while your playing, your losing. Almost all sports are reactive. Except for golf where a little white ball just sits there and sticks it tongue out at you.

Point is, you can't be thinking about what you should be doing when your out there, it should just be a natural reaction. That's not happening with Willie right now for whatever reason. Probably because of the new system, and he's trying to be perfect, which is the kiss of death. If he's not going to play, then send him to Reno and let him get some floor time in and learn the system against lesser competition. This is the same problem a lot of Rookies have. Especially those that came to the game late, like Wille, and also McLemore. You have to be more patient with those players.

I think the Kings have bigger problems than worrying about Willie, and he's not going to be the difference to having a winning season.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure what you mean by professional. You think because someone is struggling he's not trying or working on his game? Players tend to go through bad stretches. It's all part of the maturing process. He was known as a very hard worker at Kentucky, and he spent the entire summer working on his game. My personal opinion is that he's doing too much thinking on the court instead of reacting. Anytime your thinking while your playing, your losing. Almost all sports are reactive. Except for golf where a little white ball just sits there and sticks it tongue out at you.

Point is, you can't be thinking about what you should be doing when your out there, it should just be a natural reaction. That's not happening with Willie right now for whatever reason. Probably because of the new system, and he's trying to be perfect, which is the kiss of death. If he's not going to play, then send him to Reno and let him get some floor time in and learn the system against lesser competition. This is the same problem a lot of Rookies have. Especially those that came to the game late, like Wille, and also McLemore. You have to be more patient with those players.

I think the Kings have bigger problems than worrying about Willie, and he's not going to be the difference to having a winning season.
I consider it not very professional to come out of shape to Summer League both times. The first time, maybe give him a pass as he doesn't know I guess, the second time....kind of shows how bad he wants it if you ask me. And if I'm not mistaken, he came to training camp in not great shape.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I consider it not very professional to come out of shape to Summer League both times. The first time, maybe give him a pass as he doesn't know I guess, the second time....kind of shows how bad he wants it if you ask me. And if I'm not mistaken, he came to training camp in not great shape.
For a guy who is so frail and skinny, this should not be the case. Very discouraging on his part. I can understand if he was overweight, but he should be sprinting around big men out there.

Like Baja has already said, if WCS is not going to be in the rotation send him to Reno for a while and explain what he needs to focus on. I am hoping our new coach in Reno,Darrick Martin, is running a similar system as coach Joerger. In his limited play time this season he has shown some flashes on offense, it is the defensive miscues, boxing out and such that concern me. He does play better defense than I think may get noticed unless you really focus on him, but mistakes are definitely there. I really hope he is given just as much of a chance to succeed here as Ben has been given. Also I have seen it mentioned once or twice he has low IQ. I don't know where this idea comes from. If you have heard Willy speak he is very articulate. I think words like BBIQ and Athleticism get thrown around just a little much. It may be an understanding of the game that isn't as high but to just flat say low I.Q. would be disingenuous in my opinion.

I agree with Bajaden in that I believe he is just thinking way to much on defensive for whatever reason. Thinking rather than reacting makes one slower by all it takes to look bad.