Kings confident they can build on current success

sacbee

Kings confident they can build on current success

By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Thursday, November 18, 2004

First, the disclaimer.

Should another Kings losing streak occur, bringing with it the desperate tone that started in coach Rick Adelman and worked its way down the bench when the team began the season 1-4, a state of panic may return.

But for now, with the Kings the same 4-4 they opened with a year ago, panic has no place in their locker room. With Memphis coming Friday night to Arco Arena, they see promise here.

Just ask Chris Webber.

"Sometimes it's hard to read the paper because it puts you on such an emotional roller coaster," Webber said. "One day you're the best in the world, and the next you don't deserve to play. That's the ebb and flow of everybody, the fans, media. People tend to panic. This is a big relief."

Five days seems like so long ago.

The Kings arrived in Phoenix the sudden underdogs to the NBA's hot-topic team, then regained a unified form even they seemed unsure still existed. The result was a 113-111 win they're still talking about, and the first of three straight wins.

Guard Bobby Jackson said beating the Suns was a bit of early vengeance, and Adelman called the win "huge" when it came to avoiding an all-out debacle out of the gate. The payback came because of Phoenix's 124-96 preseason win Oct. 29 at Arco.

The Kings have said the Suns seemed a bit too happy with the meaningless win. Afterward, when forward Amare Stoudemire was asked if the struggling Kings still looked dangerous, reserve forward Maciej Lampe said from afar, "They (stink)." Lampe said later he was only joking.

From losing by 30 points to Seattle on Nov. 10 to a virtual upset of Phoenix a night later, to the pleasant present.

"Seattle ... I think it opened our guys' eyes a bit," Adelman said. "I think what the (regular-season) Phoenix game did, it gave everybody the sense that if we do things the right way, play the right way offensively, we're still somebody to be reckoned with. And we hadn't done that yet."

Webber said the Phoenix win wasn't about the opponent, rather the arrival of Kings' confidence that has since stuck around.

"We felt like it was coming," Webber said. "But we don't measure ourselves by Phoenix. We've done a lot of things they haven't done."

After last season's 4-4 start, the Kings won eight straight and 16 of 18. Duplicating that will be tough.

"This doesn't mean we're going to run off 11 straight wins," Adelman said. "Last year is last year. ... It's always possible. Once you get on a roll, get things going and you stay healthy, you could always really get something going."

Box out - The list of concerns is getting shorter, but Adelman said rebounding remains near the top.

In Tuesday's 113-106 win over Chicago, the Bulls' 52-40 edge included 20 offensive rebounds. Adelman's squad has been outrebounded in four games thus far, by an average of 13.3.

"You can practice it and (the players') concentration is great, but as soon as the drill is over you go out on the court and suddenly they start forgetting about that," Adelman said. "It's not just not the big guys, either, it's the perimeter people. They're not coming back and going to get the ball. They're just letting people fly by them like they're not part of the game."

Sign here - It was autograph day at the Kings' practice facility. Players signed hundreds of jerseys, balls and hats for fans and charity. Webber signed for so long, he needed to strap an ace bandage and ice pack on his right hand as he went. Enjoy the souvenirs, fans, and no complaining if his jump shot is a bit off. --hehehe.. oh webb..

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
"Sometimes it's hard to read the paper because it puts you on such an emotional roller coaster," Webber said. "One day you're the best in the world, and the next you don't deserve to play. That's the ebb and flow of everybody, the fans, media. People tend to panic. This is a big relief."
That's one of the most telling statement about how it feels to be a professional athlete I've read...

Guard Bobby Jackson said beating the Suns was a bit of early vengeance, and Adelman called the win "huge" when it came to avoiding an all-out debacle out of the gate. The payback came because of Phoenix's 124-96 preseason win Oct. 29 at Arco.

The Kings have said the Suns seemed a bit too happy with the meaningless win. Afterward, when forward Amare Stoudemire was asked if the struggling Kings still looked dangerous, reserve forward Maciej Lampe said from afar, "They (stink)." Lampe said later he was only joking.
I saw that game at Arco and both Kingsgurl and I remarked the actions and attitude of the Suns just might come back to haunt them. Ah, revenge is sweet. :D

I am proud of this team. They've overcome a lot, including some digs in the press they simply didn't deserve. It's still early and there are a lot of things for them to work on, but I think this team has the right mind set.

GO KINGS!!!!

LMM said:
when the team began the season 1-4, a state of panic may return.

But for now, with the Kings the same 4-4 they opened with a year ago
I knew it! nothing to worry about. Just as long as we hold on to the best record after the All-Star break... :)

There's still plenty to worry about for me, because the same issues still seem to be there. Defense and rebounding. Gave up 30 1st quarter points to the Bulls. Still getting owned on the boards by teams. We're still relying completely on shooting to win.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
swisshh said:
There's still plenty to worry about for me, because the same issues still seem to be there. Defense and rebounding. Gave up 30 1st quarter points to the Bulls. Still getting owned on the boards by teams. We're still relying completely on shooting to win.
There's worry, and then there's WORRY.

Those issues are a definite worry for any serious title run. But they're not enough to be an end-of-the-world-the-sky-is-falling WORRY as long as the team is playing together and with focus.

We're still one of the best teams in the league doing nothing more than the things we do well. Which of course will make it all the more frustrating if we go down in flames come May amongst a flurry of missed defensive assignments and 2nd chance points as our opponents swarm the boards. To be talented enough to win it all, and then too soft/lazy to take care of the hard work and toughness categories isn't much of a statement.

But its early yet. Still plenty of time for our guys to grow a little hair on their chests.

Bricklayer said:
But its early yet. Still plenty of time for our guys to grow a little hair on their chests.

You seen Peja over the years? He has enough hair but look where it has gotten him. Still a bit soft aint he?:p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
swisshh said:
It's mid-November. At this point, I am hopeful they will address defense and rebounding, although I have already seen indications they will be doing exactly that.

If it gets to be February and we're still having this conversation, then I may begin to be "worried."