[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

Let’s say we draft Murray.

Sabonis
Murray
Barnes
DDV or ON or ???
Fox

Does that change who we go for in FA since we don’t have a starting wing spot open? Are we looking for a starting 2 or are we trying to find depth at the 3 and 4? Who can we realistically sign that will take a bench role?

Last edited:

Sabonis
Murray
Barnes
DDV or ON or ???
Fox

Does that change who we go for in FA since we don’t have a starting wing spot open? Are we looking for a starting 2 or are we trying to find depth at the 3 and 4? Who can we realistically sign that will take a bench role?
It could make DDV easier to bring back but then Monte better get Holmes off the books asap so he doesn't F up the Kings chances to have legit max space next summer. The Kings are pretty well good at all positions or 2 deep if it's Murray. Fox/Davion at PG, DDV/TD at SG, Barnes/Holiday at SF, Murray/Lyles at PF and Sabonis/Holmes or Len if Holmes is moved. Although Barnes/Murray is more of a 2 stretch 4 lineup, no true wing.

Mitch Kupchak signed a multi year contract extension today. His contract expired this summer (in other words he operated as a lame duck this season) so maybe this is more common than we though in the GM world
Makes sense. The GM is not trying to get the players to run sprints and give up their bodies on charges. I don't really think a "Lame Duck" GM really applies as opposed to a "Lame Duck" coach. The GM doesn't deal directly with the players everyday, the coach does.

Sabonis
Murray
Barnes
DDV or ON or ???
Fox

Bringing back DDV isn't even a question; you can't let his talent walk when you control his rights. I'm admittedly extremely bullish on DDV as a starter, so I'd be more than fine rolling him or Mitchell at the 2 next year.

Leaves a lot of optionality open. Can still move Barnes down to the 4 if a wing opportunity pops up. Martin twins are at the top of my list for wings. They started shooting at a high clip, they play excellent wing defense and are super versatility, play super intelligent basketball. Fit that like Jae Crowder/PJ Tucker/Maxi Kleber/Finney-Smith type of role player that you just need in order to win.

I think a vet infusion like Otto Porter or Oladipo would be a good idea too. Bobby Portis and Chris Boucher are real reasonable options to potentially put next to Sabonis. Monk is a UFA and I think can create a real spicy 2-guard rotation with him and DDV. Creates an outstanding 48 minutes at SG in the aggregate and all 4 of Fox/DDV/Davion/Monk are interchangeable at the 1-2 and DDV can flex a bit to the 3. I like Davis, but he's heading back to UFA next season. Monk is just a better scorer/spacer and more proven at this point.

And of course the best idea as always is add next year's breakout in Isaiah Hartenstein. Fit be damned, he's already good, he's 23, he's a UFA, metrics (and my albeit limited eye test) show him as elite rim protection/defense and he's a hidden offensive gem with his passing.

Priority (with the assumption we draft Murray) would look something like:

DDV Resign
Hartenstein
Caleb and/or Cody Martin (RFA, but as we've discussed on this forum, we should be amazing trade partners with the Hornets)
Porter
Monk
Oladipo
Boucher
Portis

Bringing back DDV isn't even a question; you can't let his talent walk when you control his rights. I'm admittedly extremely bullish on DDV as a starter, so I'd be more than fine rolling him or Mitchell at the 2 next year.

Leaves a lot of optionality open. Can still move Barnes down to the 4 if a wing opportunity pops up. Martin twins are at the top of my list for wings. They started shooting at a high clip, they play excellent wing defense and are super versatility, play super intelligent basketball. Fit that like Jae Crowder/PJ Tucker/Maxi Kleber/Finney-Smith type of role player that you just need in order to win.

I think a vet infusion like Otto Porter or Oladipo would be a good idea too. Bobby Portis and Chris Boucher are real reasonable options to potentially put next to Sabonis. Monk is a UFA and I think can create a real spicy 2-guard rotation with him and DDV. Creates an outstanding 48 minutes at SG in the aggregate and all 4 of Fox/DDV/Davion/Monk are interchangeable at the 1-2 and DDV can flex a bit to the 3. I like Davis, but he's heading back to UFA next season. Monk is just a better scorer/spacer and more proven at this point.

And of course the best idea as always is add next year's breakout in Isaiah Hartenstein. Fit be damned, he's already good, he's 23, he's a UFA, metrics (and my albeit limited eye test) show him as elite rim protection/defense and he's a hidden offensive gem with his passing.

DDV Resign
Hartenstein
Caleb and/or Cody Martin (RFA, but as we've discussed on this forum, we should be amazing trade partners with the Hornets)
Porter
Monk
Oladipo
Boucher
Portis
I feel if we got murray, instead of sharpe/Ivey there are more options at sg/wing. DDV, oladipo, monk, porter or Martin(s). If we go Ivey/sharpe, are we running it back with lyles and metu cuz Portis is kind of a long shot and maybe PJW is semi more attainable but not as possible as the sg/wings. Not saying I’d take murray over the others due to fit alone but this is a factor vs the theory draft despite fit and figure it out later

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Makes sense. The GM is not trying to get the players to run sprints and give up their bodies on charges. I don't really think a "Lame Duck" GM really applies as opposed to a "Lame Duck" coach. The GM doesn't deal directly with the players everyday, the coach does.
In my mind there's a big difference if the reason no extension has been discussed because the approach is "playoffs or you're out" or being happy so far but "we'll talk about what kind of raise you'll get after the season".

DDV Resign
Hartenstein
Porter
Monk
Oladipo
Boucher
Portis
I'm down with virtually everything except Oladipo, who would seem to be redundant if you have DDV. Hartenstein is intriguing. Portis I would love, but that will be a tough get.

In my mind there's a big difference if the reason no extension has been discussed because the approach is "playoffs or you're out" or being happy so far but "we'll talk about what kind of raise you'll get after the season".
And maybe because McNair is working his butt off on the draft and he and Vivek don't want him distracted right now by other things.