[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

If we want to hold the "drafted/undrafted" label, then sure, but at least he's taking swings at the 2nd round. Unlike Vlade who didn't even try. Also, Queta isn't a loss yet after just 1 season.

Also, I'd count Jones/Metu and Lyles as upside swing wins. Pieces he picked up for nothing that are showing out to be rotation players. All 3 a clear win. And assuming DDV is resigned, getting a starter/25-27 MPG core rotation player for nothing is another clear youth win he bought extremely low on.
Jones, Metu, and Lyles have shown more than a heartbeat on the Kings during a garbage part of the season, sure. But all three are likely to be off the Kings roster by opening day.

Jones, Metu, and Lyles have shown more than a heartbeat on the Kings during a garbage part of the season, sure. But all three are likely to be off the Kings roster by opening day.
ohhhh my charity bet senses are tingling (if you weren't banned). But I think this is incredibly unlikely. If Holmes is moved, I think we'd work pretty hard to get Jones back. If Holmes isn't moved, I think it's extremely likely they hold Lyles/Metu as cheap depth for next season as 4th and 5th big. If Holmes is moved and Jones isn't retained, Metu/Lyles are all but guaranteed to be on the roster next year. 2/3 in some combo is incredibly likely to still be on the team next year.

There's value in not having to solve those rotation spots next year. And I think all 3 guys showed enough where they can be reliable 12-15 MPG guys with the occasionally good spot start.

ohhhh my charity bet senses are tingling (if you weren't banned). But I think this is incredibly unlikely. If Holmes is moved, I think we'd work pretty hard to get Jones back. If Holmes isn't moved, I think it's extremely likely they hold Lyles/Metu as cheap depth for next season as 4th and 5th big. If Holmes is moved and Jones isn't retained, Metu/Lyles are all but guaranteed to be on the roster next year. 2/3 in some combo is incredibly likely to still be on the team next year.

There's value in not having to solve those rotation spots next year. And I think all 3 guys showed enough where they can be reliable 12-15 MPG guys with the occasionally good spot start.
Garbage season play is as strong a predictor of future performance as summer league play. We'll see.

Monte better get ahead of Holmes and get him gone ASAP otherwise it basically forces a new coach to use him with Sabonis and that might drag the whole thing down if it continues to be as bad as it looked last year in their few stints. If they can get Jones back on a 1 year fine, if not, bye bye, Holmes or not. Metu/Len/Queta/Lyles is enough marginal 8-12 option type depth at PF/C.

Monte better get ahead of Holmes and get him gone ASAP otherwise it basically forces a new coach to use him with Sabonis and that might drag the whole thing down if it continues to be as bad as it looked last year in their few stints. If they can get Jones back on a 1 year fine, if not, bye bye, Holmes or not. Metu/Len/Queta/Lyles is enough marginal 8-12 option type depth at PF/C.
I do think you can find ways to make Holmes/Sabonis work. Holmes is much better suited than Turner to defend on the perimeter and there's interesting like big Sabonis/Holmes PnR that could be creative. What we saw last year was them just having no idea how to play together and the no practices really showed. I wouldn't run it for super long stretches, but I think you could find 5-7 minute stretches every game to use it.

But yeah, the best use of Holmes is to find a similar-caliber player at a different position to strengthen the core. Him as a trade asset has the potential to be the biggest swing move we make to get more short-term wins (If you find a PJ Washington level talent).

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't want to make excuses for Holmes but I had to leave my job after my custody situation was resolved a decade ago. I don't know how long it was ongoing or any other details but that stuff takes the life out of you.

I'd like to move him but to say it can never work I am not entirely sure.

I do think you can find ways to make Holmes/Sabonis work. Holmes is much better suited than Turner to defend on the perimeter and there's interesting like big Sabonis/Holmes PnR that could be creative. What we saw last year was them just having no idea how to play together and the no practices really showed. I wouldn't run it for super long stretches, but I think you could find 5-7 minute stretches every game to use it.

But yeah, the best use of Holmes is to find a similar-caliber player at a different position to strengthen the core. Him as a trade asset has the potential to be the biggest swing move we make to get more short-term wins (If you find a PJ Washington level talent).
On paper I agree, but then it comes back to Fox. I don't know of they make the best combo next to him.

side-note. Kayte was really good as an interviewer in this. Seems like she excels when she has time to prep and isn't thinking off the cuff.

Interesting both guys mentioned structure as the most important aspect from a coach. Every guy knowing what their role is and not venturing outside that role.
This is something I've mentioned often. It's been a problem for years and has been part of the sick Kings' culture. Sacto has been seen as more a showcase for guys like Hield, Metu, Bagley and a revolving door of others to show their wares rather than a place where your role is defined to accomplish the one and only goal of winning. The new coach must change that orientation.

On paper I agree, but then it comes back to Fox. I don't know of they make the best combo next to him.
What if... Fox comes back this offseason and shoots around 35% from the outside, and Sabonis shoots roughly 38-40% from 18-20 ft? In that scenario I just made up (which I think is likely to happen), do you think Holmes would now be more fitting in that rotation since Sabonis can move freely inside and out and feed both guys?

What if... Fox comes back this offseason and shoots around 35% from the outside, and Sabonis shoots roughly 38-40% from 18-20 ft? In that scenario I just made up (which I think is likely to happen), do you think Holmes would now be more fitting in that rotation since Sabonis can move freely inside and out and feed both guys?
I think if Fox is shooting like that then that it makes even more important to keep the lanes clear for him and Sabonis. Him picking up the slack to make up for where they lack elsewhere has to stop already. The way for it to work would be Holmes finds that 3 point shot and starts shooting them 4-5 times game and he hits 35% of them on average. Total gamble that might make everything worse if it doesn't work.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I don't hear anyone defending the proposed trade NOW. I was against it at the time, but the All Star version of Simmons is at least worth considering. Obviously, that guy wasn't available.
Everyone well knows my stance. I was one of the few that thought he might actually be telling the truth about his mental illness while most others were brushing it off as a crude negotiating tactic....

Maybe he works through it and comes back as the old Simmons. Who knows? But until we see him actually be able to get on the court and produce regularly and well, it was a bad bargain to jump at from our point of view.

After Memphis had won this last game over the Warriors, Ja walked off the court and passed Curry, looking him in the eye, nodding his head, and said, "Your a$$ is f---ed." I'd like to see that kind of "dog" in Fox going forward.
Davion? Yes. Absolutely.

Fox? I don't see it. I also think the Kings don't think so either. Hence the parade of overpaid vets, who were meant to come in and lead. If your star young player is a dog, he wouldn't want more than one year of playing Robin.

Davion? Yes. Absolutely.

Fox? I don't see it. I also think the Kings don't think so either. Hence the parade of overpaid vets, who were meant to come in and lead. If your star young player is a dog, he wouldn't want more than one year of playing Robin.
Hope springs eternal!:D

I agree with what I just heard on ESPN: If this next coach, whoever he is, doesn't motivate Fox to a higher level, Fox will no longer be a King.
I also noticed that one of the talking heads said that if he were Fox watching Ja doing what he's been doing and getting all the accolades, he'd be PO'd and would be practicing like crazy and come into next season ablaze. Unfortunately, I was thinking that last year and the exact opposite happened - Fox entered into the season as a dud.

Davion? Yes. Absolutely.

I don't see it from Davion either. Just not that type of personality.