[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

In typical KingsFans.com tradition, we don't usually allow "farewell" threads to venture into discussion about the circumstances that led to the personnel's departure. Like the "Any Questions" threads, they're expected to be 'good vibes' types of affairs.

The reason why the other thread was locked was because the only reason it was even allowed in the first place is because we feel like the firing had to be acknowledged. If KF.com posters could discuss the matter without veering into politics, it would have stayed open, but we (as a group, record label and crew) proved last night that we could not. So, we're not taking any chances this time.
So are you saying a farewell thread is allowed? Cuz your assumption that it will get derailed and explanation of why the other thread was so quickly locked is leading me to believe my initial thought was correct.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
with Napear's departure I may finally watch Kings games without using the mute button...depending who his replacement is of course. I think they should hire a female analyst with a basketball background.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
DeMarcus actually did it, he got the final word in that dispute. What an unfathomable plot twist! I've been calling for this for a long time so I'm obviously happy Grant is no longer with the organization but I'm beyond shocked that this is how it happened.

And I second Doug and Kayte as the new commentary crew. They've been with the team, they're certainly knowledgeable and engaging enough. I don't know that you need a strict play by play of all the action for a TV broadcast anymore anyway. It's broadcast in HD now, we can see everything that's happening. Just don't drift too far off topic or act like the Kings walk on water or something. I could do with a little less "wow, aren't these referees so good at their jobs, they hardly ever make mistakes" riffing from the TV crew as well but that may just be me.

The Jason Jones stories and podcast have a little more context than Breton. I’ll leave it at that.

Does Duece or Morgan do the play by play for Stockton? Might be time for a G League call up.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
And I second Doug and Kayte as the new commentary crew. They've been with the team, they're certainly knowledgeable and engaging enough. I don't know that you need a strict play by play of all the action for a TV broadcast anymore anyway. It's broadcast in HD now, we can see everything that's happening. Just don't drift too far off topic or act like the Kings walk on water or something. I could do with a little less "wow, aren't these referees so good at their jobs, they hardly ever make mistakes" riffing from the TV crew as well but that may just be me.
I mean, Jason Ross and Koz are already there and certainly far less abrasively upfront personalities than the guy they'd replace. Deuce and Mo are also getting pretty good at PBP and color commentary for Stockton. There are options

Well I don't post too often on here but thought I'd come drop a farewell anyways. Any organization or league that will fire an employee of 30+ years for saying all lives matter is not for me. I moved up to the Sacramento area from the bay way back in 1990 and even back then Grant was announcing games. It's not that I'm a huge fan of his because I'm not. I am a huge fan of free speech and I absolutely hate political correctness. Can't support this team anymore.

Well I don't post too often on here but thought I'd come drop a farewell anyways. Any organization or league that will fire an employee of 30+ years for saying all lives matter is not for me. I moved up to the Sacramento area from the bay way back in 1990 and even back then Grant was announcing games. It's not that I'm a huge fan of his because I'm not. I am a huge fan of free speech and I absolutely hate political correctness. Can't support this team anymore.
au revoir

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
...you’ll be back. But if not, good for you

I've never listened to Grant's radio show or followed any of the mini beefs he has had with players. I found him a bit tedious during games, although there are few commentators I've heard for opposition teams that have been appealing.

In terms of commentators, my dream would be Bobbitto Garcia, a.k.a Kool Bob Love a.k.a DJ Cucumber Slice. Sadly, this won't happen.

Why do teams only seem to have one set of commentators for a season? Maybe a rotating roster would be nice? The commentators themselves would get less bored, fans can get different perspectives...

I certainly will not miss Grant. He was a decent PBP guy with one really great catchphrase, but I don't know how any Kings fan could stomach him after he outed himself as a Maloof apologist during the relocation saga.

Marcos Breton article says it all for me

Best Impartial coverage on this situation I have seen so far

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/article243215331.html
Hm. I don't know that I'd call this article "impartial" when Breton offers loaded commentary like this:

I can't stand the "cancel culture" we live in now where one mistake – one! – can mean you are unemployed.
If someone thinks it's "one mistake" that got Grant fired, then they weren't listening to the players, who have raised numerous concerns over the years about Grant's attitudes and behaviors. And nowhere in his piece did Breton mention Grant's disastrously wrong-headed comments regarding Donald Sterling when the league stripped Sterling of his right to ownership of the Clippers. We can call Grant's recent statement the straw that broke the camel's back, but this wasn't "one mistake," and anybody who's spent any time over the years listening to Grant anywhere other than a Kings telecast can recognize how problematic a personality he could be.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I don't think this was about one comment. That was just the catalyst to act on what has probably been brewing for awhile.

I certainly will not miss Grant. He was a decent PBP guy with one really great catchphrase, but I don't know how any Kings fan could stomach him after he outed himself as a Maloof apologist during the relocation saga.

Hm. I don't know that I'd call this article "impartial" when Breton offers loaded commentary like this:

If someone thinks it's "one mistake" that got Grant fired, then they weren't listening to the players, who have raised numerous concerns over the years about Grant's attitudes and behaviors. And nowhere in his piece did Breton mention Grant's disastrously wrong-headed comments regarding Donald Sterling when the league stripped Sterling of his right to ownership of the Clippers. We can call Grant's recent statement the straw that broke the camel's back, but this wasn't "one mistake," and anybody who's spent any time over the years listening to Grant anywhere other than a Kings telecast can recognize how problematic a personality he could be.
Breton can be very good but he seems to have a blind spot when there's a figure he deems sympathetic. In that case, he'll only share their side of the story. I realize he's an opinions columnist and not a beat reporter, but his columns are much less compelling when he doesn't at least try to take on counter arguments. Maybe there's a good reason for leaving out the Sterling comments, or what Matt Barnes or even Webber had to say... but ignoring all of them really hurts his case.

On one hand, it's interesting that Breton, who Napear has bashed in the past, is willing to stand up for him. But, on the other hand, the silence from anyone else, especially former players or others who had ties the organization, is telling.

So I don't consider Boogie,Cwebb,Barnes impartial at all, they all had an axe to grind with Grant
As a talk show guy Grant always had to address "Hot topics"
I did not see any negative comments from Peja,Vlade,BobbyJ,Doug,CarmDave,Koz,Katie
But I am sure no one can stick up for Grant without fear of losing their jobs
only Past disgruntled players
I did see a lot of silence from other reporters other than Jason Jones who pulled up as many Past screwups as he could