[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

Thoughts from Bogi in free agency. Doesn’t sound like Monte handled it well. If the player is a restricted free agent you better be talking with them as they don’t have to sign. Seems like more Kings misplaced arrogance and continued front office incompetence......

Bogdan Bogdanovic, who was a restricted free agent last offseason, said the Kings told him they would match any offer and they saw his value as $15MM to $17MM a year, according to Kirschner.

He wound up getting $18MM from Atlanta and said he had no desire to return to Sacramento, calling it disrespectful that the Kings worked out a sign-and-trade with the Bucks without telling him.

“I remember talking with (coach) Luke (Walton) and (general manager) Monte (McNair), and they both told me how they wanted me,” Bogdanovic said. “I said, ‘OK, fine.’ They said they were going to wait for my offer because they couldn’t make a deal before going to the market. I’m talking with my guys from (Sacramento) and I wasn’t even looking at free agency. I was in Serbia and no one reached out to me. No one talked with me. No one asked me anything. I woke up, I saw it and then I didn’t know what to do. I called my agent and he told me to calm down because there was nothing they could do because I was a restricted free agent and they couldn’t do anything like that.”
"OK, fine." Bogdan didn't want to be here and I don't think anyone can blame him, haha. When a player doesn't want to be somewhere it's kind of impossible to bring them back anyway. Monte looked like a green rookie but Bogdan being gone regardless averted some major issues going forward. The ensuing Buddy/Bogdan blockage on the cap would have been a nightmare to get out from under since both would have been supplanted by Haliburton anyway.

"OK, fine." Bogdan didn't want to be here and I don't think anyone can blame him, haha. When a player doesn't want to be somewhere it's kind of impossible to bring them back anyway. Monte looked like a green rookie but Bogdan being gone regardless averted some major issues going forward. The ensuing Buddy/Bogdan blockage on the cap would have been a nightmare to get out from under since both would have been supplanted by Haliburton anyway.
The point was he was fine being here until Monte tried to trade him to the Bucks without talking to him. Why Monte would even do that without seeing if Bogi wanted to go there is perplexing given Bogi was a restricted free agent.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The point was he was fine being here until Monte tried to trade him to the Bucks without talking to him. Why Monte would even do that without seeing if Bogi wanted to go there is perplexing given Bogi was a restricted free agent.
I'm sorry but I don't think we can take Bogi's story at face value here. If he did acknowledge talking to the Bucks (and HE WAS IN COMMUNICATION WITH GIANNIS, WE KNOW THIS) he'd be in trouble.

Was the context here someone asking him if he regretted going to ATL instead?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Also because I am pretty and it needs to be said:
Dear Bogi,
Please enjoy prepping for the Olympics instead of the NBA Finals.

would've worked out super for all of us if you hadn't nuked the deal. Oh well.

I'm sorry but I don't think we can take Bogi's story at face value here. If he did acknowledge talking to the Bucks (and HE WAS IN COMMUNICATION WITH GIANNIS, WE KNOW THIS) he'd be in trouble.

from what I have seen of Bogi he is pretty straight forward. If he woke up surprised I don’t doubt he was. Could Monte have planned to talk to him that day? Perhaps but it was still an F up by Monte.

could it have been cultural? Perhaps but it was still a F up.

Total rumor that I can’t validate. But I heard one reason we didn’t draft Luka was that Luka and Bogi had beef. And Vlade had to choose between them.

I’ll never know if there is any truth to this.

from what I have seen of Bogi he is pretty straight forward. If he woke up surprised I don’t doubt he was. Could Monte have planned to talk to him that day? Perhaps but it was still an F up by Monte.

could it have been cultural? Perhaps but it was still a F up.
How do you know the story is exactly as Bogi is saying?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
lost to Italy in the qualifying tournament. It will be interesting what blow back Jokic gets.
I don't blame him for not playing. He's had to carry the Nuggets all season and it's not like Serbia was exactly hurting for big men with Boban, Bjeli, and Petrusev on their roster (Obviously none of those guys holds a candle to Jokic but that proved to be less of an issue than, say, perpetually in a state of near-death Milos Teodosic jacking up a bajillion bad shots in crunch time). Honestly think that Serbia missed Bogi more than Jokic as odd as it seems.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Does it matter? If Bogi’s a restricted free agent who has to agree to sign somewhere.... it’s his perception that matters. If that was his perception you ****ed up as a GM.
I think the point is that if Bogi was talking to Giannis and plotting how to get to the Bucks (which he WAS) that McNair's talks with Milwaukee were probably not behind his back, no matter what he is forced to say now. He may be saying it, it seems unlikely that he would *believe* it.

Does it matter? If Bogi’s a restricted free agent who has to agree to sign somewhere.... it’s his perception that matters. If that was his perception you ****ed up as a GM.
Here is an article that states their was conversation with Bogi's agent. If Bogi's Agent knew about the deal, everything coming from the players side is just a smoke screen IMO.

This is why the Bucks lost a draft pick......a 2nd rounder. The Kings and specifically MM were not at fault here and were not penalized.

Link--> https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/k...ings-penalized-failed-bogdan-bogdanovic-trade

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Let's also not forget that Bogi's agent has a history of tearing up handshake deals when better ones come along. It appears he leaked the trade prematurely, Atlanta passed word they would do better and he nuked it. I would love to see the agent decertified and yet there are people that argue that because his clients maximize their net payday he is "doing really good at his job."

Wait, we can’t take bogi’s story at face value because why? The story he came up with is so far fetched?
The kings not doing what a normal team would do with their free agents? No way! Cause this isn’t the kings M.O………….

This franchise has its reputation for a reason. That people would still give this franchise the benefit of doubt in any situation kind of blows my mind.

Last edited:
because pretty much everyone except Bogi has indicated things played out differently than Bogi said.
Eh. Either way this kings franchise is still a cluster *^+#.

You really see the full extent of how bad they really are after taking a step away from them and semi following a somewhat competent franchise.