Kings Broadcast Team Tabbed League’s Best. (In case you missed it.)

Carmichael Dave is doing the CYA forever regarding Peaches way back to when was teenage fan calling the radio show on KHTK. Dude needs to grow up and start looking, acting, dressing like a near middle age man instead of same 15 year old kid. His reputation has been stellar in heart felt devotion to the team and Sacramento but this constant worship of daddy Napear wore thin long ago, can only damage the reputation.
CD owes his career to Grant Napear.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
... Like music, everyone has their opinions and full rights to those opinions. But I submit that if the VAST majority of Kings fans didn't like Grant calling games, he would've been long gone...
I stipulate that there is a non-zero percent chance that that's it. IMO, there is an equal or greater percent chance (much greater, IYAM) that Napear still calling games is just a function of inertia.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
... I'm just in too good of a mood tonight to want to argue with anyone. Watching our young Kings play with so much heart and hustle took away a lot of my angst. I finally passed through the end of the grief process, and "La vie est belle."
You are such an old softie.

Carmichael Dave is doing the CYA forever regarding Peaches way back to when was teenage fan calling the radio show on KHTK. Dude needs to grow up and start looking, acting, dressing like a near middle age man instead of same 15 year old kid. His reputation has been stellar in heart felt devotion to the team and Sacramento but this constant worship of daddy Napear wore thin long ago, can only damage the reputation.

Haha WOW. Let's break down the logic here:

1. I don't know what "CYA forever" means. But if the insinuation is that I'm defending him for some other reason other than it's WHAT I BELIEVE, that's just silly.

2. Acting and dressing like a middle aged man. Ok, but that's an unwarranted personal attack. I don't mind, I'm pretty happy with my 15-year old kid life. Dig my job, dig my family. About to go coach my kid's little league team. But thx for the advice.

3. "Worship of Daddy Napes wore thin....."

Yeah, I've seen this before. These arethe ramblings
a small man would make on a message board, plain and simple. One who converses in attack rather than debate. I think you're better than that. I post here because I enjoy people, and love the discussion.

At no point have I attacked anyone for their opinions on someone who is my friend and co-worker. I've gone out of my way to say "everyone has their opinions blah blah". Because it's true.

But the idea that me expressing MY opinion about someone who is a friend, a mentor, and someone who I stood right next to in the Kings fight would "ruin my rep", that's hilarious. Ruin it. Please. If that's what I'm remembered for, awesome.

My overarching aim before your post was to simply chime in on the broadcast, and my opinions on the quality and his potential longevity. Is your point so damn high school that it has to be a flame war? "Ruin my rep"?

If my rep is that if I see a crowd of people criticizing a friend of mine, and I don't speak up and at least offer my side of who that person may be, then I'm perfectly fine- nay EAGER to have that rep.

Here's a clue: I don't HAVE to post about this. I could ignore it. I've had other co-workers get torn up on these boards (one in particular), and I wasn't rushing to defend them. Nor am I here. I offered my opinion, as someone who knows him and has been his friend for a very long time.

Disagree all you want and bless you for it. I just don't get the disgust or disdain for it.

Besides, I'd rather stroll into a room (forum), and say what I think regardless of the fact that I know full well I'll get jumped for it, then roll in, go with the flow, or even worse- stay silent.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Like you said, everyone has their opinions -- but at least admit that your opinion is far from unbiased. And even if you didn't believe what you just said, you know damn well you wouldn't type it in an open forum. You have a conflict of interest and simply couldn't.

While it can't be quantified or proven, it's my opinion that you're flat wrong claiming that the vast majority of Kings fans like him otherwise he'd be gone. I find that to be rather naive. But we're all free to believe what we want.
Of COURSE I'm biased. I dug grant before I met him, and dug him even more after.

As far as the conflict of interest, sure it would be poor form to criticize a co-worker publicly. I probably wouldn't do it. But I wouldn't go out of my way to post my opinion on a board if I didn't truly believe it. Note that I am not criticizing anyone for their dissenting opinion, just offering mine.

And the vast comment? I would just say that I've come in contact with quite a few kings fans over the years, and they don't usually hesitate to offer opinions, good or bad. And in MY experience, it's been about an 85-90% approval rate on his broadcast. That's just what I hear.

I certainly owe a debt of gratitude for his help and mentorship through the years, no doubt. But I don't see why my opinion is so crazily unbelievable that it can't possibly be what I think- that I must have some other motive or be blinded or whatever.
Dave, I must apologize for that statement. I need to watch my speech more. It's wrong to assume a person doesn't have autonomy of opinion simply based on professional associations, etc. It was an ugly ad hominem and personal attack and it was unfair.

Dave, I must apologize for that statement. I need to watch my speech more. It's wrong to assume a person doesn't have autonomy of opinion simply based on professional associations, etc. It was an ugly ad hominem and personal attack and it was unfair.

I've known you a long time, and you've always been more than fair. Apology not necessary, but in this day and age of Internet vitriol, it is more than welcome and heartily accepted.

Cheers.

dude12

Hall of Famer
My references to Grant in this thread are purely on the play by play. And I think he's been fine there in regards to the trade. Please realize I'm a massive DMC homer as well.
Hard to separate the play by play from his opinion on the telecast though....and furthermore his radio show. And yes, I follow you on twitter and the morning show and know your a DMC homer as I am.

I never used to dislike Napear on the Kings telecast and I've literally watched every game for as long as I can remember...literally. But pre-trade behavior on the air and his disdain for Boogie bled into his play by play and now that its post trade, his joy and enthusiasm,is so over the top that it is a turnoff. Not to mention the times that he now is critical of the refs in a few of the games. Seems very hypocritical.

Maybe one of these years I can look past it and get over this whole era but he has rubbed me the wrong way. Hard to appreciate the play by play by itself.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Sure. You could be right. But let me ask you for the sake of convo- outside of message boards, what do you base that assumption on?
Outside of message boards? My experience has taught me that human beings tend towards inertia, sports fans even more so. I have no reason to believe that Kings fans are a special class of people/sports fan which have evolved above this tendency.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Would I? No. Others might... I have nothing polite to say about those people.

I understand that tastes vary, de gustibus, and all of that, and I understand that there are people who might consider Grant Napear to be good, by some subjective criteria...

I have nothing polite to say about those people, either.

But I also think that Gary Gerould is, objectively, a far superior announcer.

Hard to separate the play by play from his opinion on the telecast though....

I never used to dislike Napear on the Kings telecast and I've literally watched every game for as long as I can remember...literally. But pre-trade behavior on the air and his disdain for Boogie bled into his play by play and now that its post trade, his joy and enthusiasm,is so over the top that it is a turnoff.
This is my biggest issue with him as well. I've always enjoyed his enthusiasm when the Kings or a player are in the midst of a run, but his penchant to play moral police and harp on particular players is beyond tiresome. I also feel he, and even Jerry sometimes, go over the top in their effusive praise of the opponent. We get it. Players such as LeBron James, Russell Westbrook, Klay Thompson, etc, are freaking good. But they don't play for the Kings and you aren't broadcasting a National game on TNT, ESPN or ABC. Stop gushing so much. To me, it feels like the guy so badly wants to appear non-biased (even though it's a Kings broadcast) that he often goes in the other direction.

To me, that's what separates him from the likes of Gary Gerould. G-Man isn't perfect, and he certainly gives credit to the opponent, but he has the ability to balance things perfectly wherein he remains very professional but you also realize that he's announcing for the Kings. Furthermore, while he can be critical of a player, coach or ref when warranted, he doesn't harp on things ad nauseam. Most of all, I've never felt G-Man has ever announced a game with an agenda.

Of COURSE I'm biased. I dug grant before I met him, and dug him even more after.

As far as the conflict of interest, sure it would be poor form to criticize a co-worker publicly. I probably wouldn't do it. But I wouldn't go out of my way to post my opinion on a board if I didn't truly believe it. Note that I am not criticizing anyone for their dissenting opinion, just offering mine.

And the vast comment? I would just say that I've come in contact with quite a few kings fans over the years, and they don't usually hesitate to offer opinions, good or bad. And in MY experience, it's been about an 85-90% approval rate on his broadcast. That's just what I hear.
Fair enough that you like the guy. I get it. I'm sure that off-air he's probably really cool and different than the blowhard persona he tries so hard to create on-air. And as I said, I would expect nothing less from you than to defend one of your friends. I'd do the exact same thing. But most of us only know the personality we see and hear on TV and radio. And that guy has often been hypocritical, inconsistent and a bit of a turncoat (Maloof saga). You may not see it that way, but many do.

Honestly, while I always thought his radio shtick was over the top and often rude, I never really had all that much problem with him until the past few years. I mean, I didn't care for his treatment of CWebb and BoJax back in their heyday but it was more so his behavior during the Maloof relocation saga and his agenda against Boogie that really soured me. But well before all that, I remember back in the late 80's when my dad and I sat in section 101 row Z right in front of the KRBK box when Grant would do in-game reports for channel 31. We always got a kick out of the guy because he always looked so damn nervous but as soon as the lights went on a seemingly different person appeared. I've been listening to the guy one way or another since he arrived in town.

I think Grant is the best in the business. I'm glad he has been hinting about all the crap the Kings put up with Cousins during his tenure. Grant didn't bend over for Cousins and I respect him for that. All reports I've read of Cousins is he was horrible in the locker room (bullying, clowning, threatening teammates, reporters, coaches) and let's face it, a loser on the court. The underlining theme on Grant's show pre-trade was Cousins is the best talent on the Kings ever, but wasn't a good teammate or professional. If you didn't understand that, then you weren't listening. He praised Cousins when he made improvements the past two years with his relationship with teammates and blasted him when he acted a fool again. After the trade the theme has been we can finally move on. I believe he has compared Cousins to a black cloud. Looking at the overall 'feel' to the team before and after; I agree with him.

For example: Went to the last game at ARCO. There goes Cousins .. complaining and arguing with the refs the whole time. It was a downer. Decided to not waste my money again ...it just wasn't that fun watching that when I just wanted to cheer them on. His lack of hustle to the defensive end was highlighted for me even more watching it live and up close.

Finally went to another game last week against Wizards. Team lost in OT, but they looked like a team again. Hustle, heart, teamwork, etc.. Granted they didn't have that go to player at the end of the game, but I'd rather watch that then the same old Cousins show.

I love Grant and Jerry's honesty during games. When the young players make dumb mistakes, they call them out on that too.

Plus, Grant gets good guests on his radio show. :)

The underlining theme on Grant's show pre-trade was Cousins is the best talent on the Kings ever, but wasn't a good teammate or professional. If you didn't understand that, then you weren't listening.
You're missing the point completely. It's not Grant's job to do any of that during a play-by-play broadcast. On his radio show, fine. But not on the Kings game broadcast. And especially not ad nauseam. You don't hear Gary Gerould do it. I've listened to Vin Scully call Dodgers games all my life. He doesn't do it either. There's good reason for that.

Have whatever opinions of DeMarcus Cousins you want. Grant can have his too. But he's crossing a line that many do not like when he consistently tries to infuse his personal blowhard opinions into the play-by-play broadcast. It's one thing to mention or touch upon something, but another thing altogether to do what Grant does. And it's not limited to a Boogie Cousins thing. It's wrong to do it it at any level and to any player. His radio show is the proper forum for that nonsense.

You're missing the point completely. It's not Grant's job to do any of that during a play-by-play broadcast. On his radio show, fine. But not on the Kings game broadcast. And especially not ad nauseam. You don't hear Gary Gerould do it. I've listened to Vin Scully call Dodgers games all my life. He doesn't do it either. There's good reason for that.

Have whatever opinions of DeMarcus Cousins you want. Grant can have his too. But he's crossing a line that many do not like when he consistently tries to infuse his personal blowhard opinions into the play-by-play broadcast. It's one thing to mention or touch upon something, but another thing altogether to do what Grant does. And it's not limited to a Boogie Cousins thing. It's wrong to do it it at any level and to any player. His radio show is the proper forum for that nonsense.

I think you're overreacting. Yes, it was pretty clear that he wasn't a DeMarcus fan, so what? He still got really excited when DeMarcus made a good play, scored 50+ points, etc. Let's be honest here, DeMarcus was really starting to wear a lot of people out, including most fans.

Also, I love G-Man too but it's not like he doesn't ever have any distain in his voice when doing his broadcast. How could he not after dealing with this crap show for so many years?

As a play by play man, Grant is fantastic. As an opinionated human being, Grant is trash. His job on telecasts is to explain the action to us. No one cares about his opinion because his opinion doesn't carry any more weight than some random fan on the street. I began turning on him when his radio personality began seeping into the televised games. He used to do a better job of keeping the two separate but these days he's starting to show his true colors more. It's irritating to listen to and completely unnecessary.

It's kind of like how Sportscenter used to show us highlights, the box score and then cut to a reporter who reported on the news. Now half the show is just listening to some idiot give his opinion on whatever the news is and then if there is time left they will show us abbreviated highlights of the networks favorite teams along with the stat lines of one or two players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Respectfully- I think YOU are missing the point.

When does he do that on the game broadcast? I've watched every minute of every game on TV, and I don't remember him ranting about DMC post-trade on the broadcast at all. Sure, he's definitely excited about the youth and maybe code words talk about the "bright future", but his most incendiary comments about DMC were on twitter and his radio show, which is in fact exactly what his job is.

I think you're overreacting. Yes, it was pretty clear that he wasn't a DeMarcus fan, so what? He still got really excited when DeMarcus made a good play, scored 50+ points, etc. Let's be honest here, DeMarcus was really starting to wear a lot of people out, including most fans.

Also, I love G-Man too but it's not like he doesn't ever have any distain in his voice when doing his broadcast. How could he not after dealing with this poopoo show for so many years?
Lol such a great point about G-Man. If you haven't picked up on his disdain and frustration at times during his broadcasts, I can't help you. Especially over the last few years. Which again, I think it's fine.

Broadcasters are around the team. They travel with them. They are our only window into these guys around the edges, and as a fan I WANT their opinions and insight.

I truly think people combine radio, twitter, AND TV Grant into one person.

I submit that if he only did TV, and didn't do a radio show or tweet, about 90% of the critical comments would be gone.

Lol such a great point about G-Man. If you haven't picked up on his disdain and frustration at times during his broadcasts, I can't help you. Especially over the last few years. Which again, I think it's fine.

Broadcasters are around the team. They travel with them. They are our only window into these guys around the edges, and as a fan I WANT their opinions and insight.

I truly think people combine radio, twitter, AND TV Grant into one person.

I submit that if he only did TV, and didn't do a radio show or tweet, about 90% of the critical comments would be gone.
They are literally and in every real sense the same person. Maybe he doesn't say things on TV that he does in other venues, but why should anyone forget what he says on the radio while listening to his TV commentary?

Respectfully- I think YOU are missing the point.

When does he do that on the game broadcast? I've watched every minute of every game on TV, and I don't remember him ranting about DMC post-trade on the broadcast at all.
Not actually referring to anything he's said on air post trade. Beyond that, you have to be deaf or in denial not to have heard him harp on Cousins incessantly during game broadcasts over the years. He had an obvious agenda. I've never heard G-Man do that. I've never heard Jerry Reynolds really do that, other than when Grant puts him on point live on air and asks him, and even then it's typically pretty tame and not repeated ad nauseam. Grant seems to believe his soapbox extends to the booth. When he refrains from doing that, he's actually pretty good. I actually enjoy his over-the-top calls and calling card phrases when the team is going really good.

Oddly, his boorish behaviour often times isn't too different from what he blames Cousins for -- especially how he behaves on radio. But that's an altogether different topic for a different day.

As a play by play man, Grant is fantastic. As an opinionated human being, Grant is trash. His job on telecasts is to explain the action to us. No one cares about his opinion because his opinion doesn't carry any more weight than some random fan on the street. I began turning on him when his radio personality began seeping into the televised games. He used to do a better job of keeping the two separate but these days he's starting to show his true colors more. It's irritating to listen to and completely unnecessary.
This is exactly what I keep trying to get across. It's clearly not just me that hears it.

They are literally and in every real sense the same person. Maybe he doesn't say things on TV that he does in other venues, but why should anyone forget what he says on the radio while listening to his TV commentary?
If you're criticizing him as an ANNOUNCER, then the criticism should be leveled at his comments while announcing. Otherwise it's a different conversation altogether.

I was under the assumption the debate here was about his play by play. Like I said, if you don't listen to his show or read his twitter, your opinion is likely different.

He has two different jobs. Announcer, and radio host.