[Game] Kings at Mavericks, Sunday April 18, 4:30 Pacific (7:30 Eastern)

Again, fan however you want. Your choice if you don't care about a really good Fox game. This was the first Kings game I've enjoyed watching in awhile. I've been on this forum years crying about how dumb the long-term goals of this franchise are and how bad Vivek is as an owner. McNair has shown me more than enough already that I have faith he can build a winner, despite being held back by Vivek. So, I'll fan how I want as well and enjoy an amazing performance from our 23-year old franchise player.
Fair enough. I'm only looking at standings now and barely care about what somebody does on a night-to-night basis. It's not the first time, back in the Cousins years I couldn't really enjoy individual efforts on a night-to-night basis from the standpoint of an 16-24 team unless I talked myself into some kind of end goal like an 8th seed. (Yeah, it was a sad, desperate time).

Give me a goal I can look forward to and I'll be there; right now all options for this year are exhausted and hopeless so I'm not.

I probably won't tune in again until opening night next year.

Fair enough. I'm only looking at standings now and barely care about what somebody does on a night-to-night basis. I probably won't tune in again until opening night next year.
I'm fairly similar at this point. Just had time to watch this game and enjoyed watching an amazing Fox performance. In the end, we're supposed to get enjoyment from watching basketball lol. If it's more pain than enjoyment, probably a good idea to take a break.

Again, fan however you want. Your choice if you don't care about a really good Fox game. This was the first Kings game I've enjoyed watching in awhile. I've been on this forum years crying about how dumb the long-term goals of this franchise are and how bad Vivek is as an owner. McNair has shown me more than enough already that I have faith he can build a winner, despite being held back by Vivek. So, I'll fan how I want as well and enjoy an amazing performance from our 23-year old franchise player.
We're all going to fan differently. You narrowed your view on one game while other people have their scope set to a much wider range. I find it difficult to get excited over a good Fox performance at the end of the season when other lottery teams are resting their stars to ensure they don't wind up picking 10th. We know Fox is good and another 30pt performance or two isn't going to change the trajectory of this franchise like picking a good player in the draft would. Fox is solid and we know what we've got there. A smart franchise would give him some rest to protect him while helping themselves with lottery odds.

I'm more irritated that the 2nd rounders aren't getting any run while guys like Harkless are playing big minutes for this miraculous attempt to scratch and claw their way back to just be able to potentially get themselves into a play in game or two. Add that to Fox and Barnes playing huge minutes lately and it's kind of a head scratcher to me to put your star player and your best veteran/trade asset at the risk of getting injured during a lost season. It's not surprising from a coach who knows he probably won't be here next year anyway so that stuff doesn't matter to him.

It's just the Kings playing checkers while the rest of the league plays chess. It's not surprising that many fans are more irritated with that than they are happy about a good Fox performance.

We're all going to fan differently. You narrowed your view on one game while other people have their scope set to a much wider range. I find it difficult to get excited over a good Fox performance at the end of the season when other lottery teams are resting their stars to ensure they don't wind up picking 10th. We know Fox is good and another 30pt performance or two isn't going to change the trajectory of this franchise like picking a good player in the draft would. Fox is solid and we know what we've got there. A smart franchise would give him some rest to protect him while helping themselves with lottery odds.

I'm more irritated that the 2nd rounders aren't getting any run while guys like Harkless are playing big minutes for this miraculous attempt to scratch and claw their way back to just be able to potentially get themselves into a play in game or two. Add that to Fox and Barnes playing huge minutes lately and it's kind of a head scratcher to me to put your star player and your best veteran/trade asset at the risk of getting injured during a lost season. It's not surprising from a coach who knows he probably won't be here next year anyway so that stuff doesn't matter to him.

It's just the Kings playing checkers while the rest of the league plays chess. It's not surprising that many fans are more irritated with that than they are happy about a good Fox performance.
To be fair, I think I've long established I strongly agree with most of what you just said about taking the long view and what I think actually works with team building. I've been on the "collect assets, invest in the 2nd round, don't stop collecting young talent, find floor spacing, find multiple playmakers, find 3/4 flex wings" train(s) as long as anyone on the forum.

All I'm saying is I'm not going to be upset because the Kings won a game (currently 1-9 in their last 10, so the tank is strong regardless) and Fox was fun to watch as he continues his ascent to a top 15 player. What's wrong with that?

Is it not possible that with better consistent coaching the team that won 7/8 twice will be more likely to show next season?

Obviously I'd rather we were secure at the bottom of the standings but the ONE time we actually did that we got jumped all the way down to 4. Do we ship Fox so we suck more? Or just tell a kid with a warrior's heart and mentality that "sorry, you gotta sit so we can lose".

Jeeeze, I totally get the frustration especially because if there ever was a year to tell a player like Fox to sit and lose it's a year with no paying fans in attendance. But that also isn't really fair to him, especially after he signed an incentive based extension.
Incentives would only apply next year though, wouldn't they?

To be fair, I think I've long established I strongly agree with most of what you just said about taking the long view and what I think actually works with team building. I've been on the "collect assets, invest in the 2nd round, don't stop collecting young talent, find floor spacing, find multiple playmakers, find 3/4 flex wings" train(s) as long as anyone on the forum.

All I'm saying is I'm not going to be upset because the Kings won a game (currently 1-9 in their last 10, so the tank is strong regardless) and Fox was fun to watch as he continues his ascent to a top 15 player. What's wrong with that?
I just don't really understand why you found this game in particular to be some kind of outstanding Fox performance. He scored 30 points, which he's done multiple times in the last month, and really didn't do anything we hadn't seen before. Had a strong assist game frankly because TD and HB couldn't miss (7 of his 12 assists were to TD/HB 3 pointers). Like, I'm not even knocking Fox because it's amazing that he puts up 30/12 and I'm going meh, but I don't understand why you found this performance particularly enjoyable.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Damn. I remember in the good days of tanking we could enjoy the odd W powered by one of our young players.

Would I prefer an L? Absolutely! Am I gonna lose sleep over Fox sticking it to a Luka? Nah....

Maybe after Vlade’s colossal **** up of the Bagley draft, I’ve stopped pinning ALL my hopes on the draft. Obviously it’s extremely important, especially for a small market team, and I’m certainly a long time member of the pro-tank contingent, but sometimes you gotta live in the moment, rather than the uncertain future, and enjoy a satisfying win.

Now let’s go out there next game and get back to losing!

I just don't really understand why you found this game in particular to be some kind of outstanding Fox performance. He scored 30 points, which he's done multiple times in the last month, and really didn't do anything we hadn't seen before. Had a strong assist game frankly because TD and HB couldn't miss (7 of his 12 assists were to TD/HB 3 pointers). Like, I'm not even knocking Fox because it's amazing that he puts up 30/12 and I'm going meh, but I don't understand why you found this performance particularly enjoyable.
Dude, they beat the Luka led Mavs. Luka wanted this game bad, you could see it in his eyes:)

Because it's the like the only game I've watched the last 2-3 weeks all the way through? And no, it wasn't some all-time great performance that brought me mountains and mountains of joy. But I had fun watching Fox and Davis and Barnes for a few hours and them sticking it to Luka. One win and a couple of great performances doesn't fix all the long-term issues with this franchise that have been present the last 15 years. But if I can't enjoy a Kings game where one of my favorite players is playing great... what's the point? Why post on this forum for the last decade? Why spend a good chunk of my time devoted to following this team?

Because it's the like the only game I've watched the last 2-3 weeks all the way through? And no, it wasn't some all-time great performance that brought me mountains and mountains of joy. But I had fun watching Fox and Davis and Barnes for a few hours and them sticking it to Luka. One win and a couple of great performances doesn't fix all the long-term issues with this franchise that have been present the last 15 years. But if I can't enjoy a Kings game where one of my favorite players is playing great... what's the point? Why post on this forum for the last decade? Why spend a good chunk of my time devoted to following this team?
Ah, but nobody said you couldn't enjoy it. You were the one who expressed frustration that others didn't enjoy it, which suggests that there must be some compelling reason why everyone SHOULD have enjoyed it, e.g. a particularly spectacular performance from Fox. I was just trying to understand what this compelling reason was.

Dude, they beat the Luka led Mavs. Luka wanted this game bad, you could see it in his eyes:)
When did beating the Mavs/Luka become a significant thing for us? Is it just to make ourselves feel a bit better every time we glance over at Bagley on the bench? Not trying to be snarky, I really just don't understand the logic. Again, you are perfectly entitled to have enjoyed the game; I'm trying to understand why some are making it sound as if you would be wrong not to have enjoyed it.

When did beating the Mavs/Luka become a significant thing for us? Is it just to make ourselves feel a bit better every time we glance over at Bagley on the bench? Not trying to be snarky, I really just don't understand the logic. Again, you are perfectly entitled to have enjoyed the game; I'm trying to understand why some are making it sound as if you would be wrong not to have enjoyed it.
Because they can convince themselves Fox is better than Luka IF ONLY he had a better coach/supporting cast/refs helping him more, one on one match ups seem to mean a lot on here. In the last two games Fox is apparently better than Cp3.Booker and Luka.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I am getting increasingly convinced that a significant portion of the posting members on this board haven’t actually watched a Kings game in a long while and are merely bitching and moaning about random nonsense in lieu of actually rooting for a team. Like it’s okay to not post about the Kings. I don’t begrudge the people who won’t watch games until the Kings are actually any good again. What I have a problem with is the people who have it in for people who do watch the games and don’t come away immediately proclaiming that the world is ending.

also the argument that a 30pt/12ast/0 turnover night actually wasn’t all that great and not something worthy of being excited about is either a very horrible troll job or an extremely efficient argument for Fox being the best young point guard in the league.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I root for a win. Every game. My fandom of the Kings while sitting at home watching a game is not based on lottery odds in a month or two. Heck, some idiot could run a red light tomorrow and I might not even be here by the time next season starts. Who knows?

A fan cheering for a win or wanting a loss for better lottery odds has absolutely ZERO impact on the outcome of the game. ZERO. So why not just enjoy the game being played?

Do I want a #1 pick when the Kings aren't playing well? Yes. Does getting a high pick guarantee anything? No. We know that very well over the decades the team has been here.

And despite the odds sometimes the lottery balls fall our way anyways.

So while I understand the doom and gloom some express with every win while looking at lottery odds, I'm not one of them. I just enjoy the wins when they come and acknowledge the ping-pong ball reality when they don't.

It's basketball, not life or death.

Last edited:
Because they can convince themselves Fox is better than Luka IF ONLY he had a better coach/supporting cast/refs helping him more, one on one match ups seem to mean a lot on here. In the last two games Fox is apparently better than Cp3.Booker and Luka.
I like to watch basketball. When I get too wrapped up in shoulda, woulda, coulda to enjoy a game like that last Kings game I do something else. There have been a lot of pathetic games in this Kings season. Most of those I missed or turned off. But that defeat of Luka and the Mavs I watched every minute of. The fact that it aligned with a chunk of free time I had made for a wonderful game to watch for this Kings Fan.

Fellas, sometimes enjoying a game of basketball can be a simple pleasure. Try it sometimes:)

Last edited:
I am getting increasingly convinced that a significant portion of the posting members on this board haven’t actually watched a Kings game in a long while and are merely bitching and moaning about random nonsense in lieu of actually rooting for a team. Like it’s okay to not post about the Kings. I don’t begrudge the people who won’t watch games until the Kings are actually any good again. What I have a problem with is the people who have it in for people who do watch the games and don’t come away immediately proclaiming that the world is ending.

also the argument that a 30pt/12ast/0 turnover night actually wasn’t all that great and not something worthy of being excited about is either a very horrible troll job or an extremely efficient argument for Fox being the best young point guard in the league.
How about those who watch every game and root for losses, i.e. me? Go back earlier in the season and I was rooting for wins when they mattered. They do not matter now, and at worst if this team goes on a run you might find coach Walton still here next year. Fox scored 43 points just a few games earlier; 33 two games ago or whatever it was. You didn't hear people being all "excited" back then, so whats so exciting about it now other than us breaking a 9 game losing streak lol.

I like to watch basketball. When I get too wrapped up in shoulda, woulda, coulda to enjoy a game like that last Kings game I do something else. There have been a lot of pathetic games in this Kings season. Most of those I missed or turned off. But that defeat of Luka and the Mavs I watched every minute of. The fact that it aligned with a chunk of free time I had made for a wonderful game to watch for this Kings Fan.

Fellas, sometimes enjoying a game of basketball can be a simple pleasure. Try it sometimes:)
Like I said, I'm not going to begrudge you for enjoying the game. Good on you! Just don't (and I'm not saying you personally, but to everyone in general) act like everyone else has to be excited about ending a 9 game losing streak with a win over the Dallas Lukas.

what's the point? Why post on this forum for the last decade? Why spend a good chunk of my time devoted to following this team?
I've rocked myself to sleep many nights over the past decade with this mantra running through my brain. What does this self-inflicted infatuation really say about us!!??!?!

I always would like to see the kings win, but now that they’re out of the playoff race, I’m just not as upset when they lose. For me it’s like a win/win now. If they win, I probably watched an enjoyable game. If they lose, better odds at a higher pick. I don’t think I’d ever actively root for them to lose and groan or sigh when fox makes a dunk or buddy hits a 3. But I know that those who do, prob is doing it short term and wants the kings to be better long term. I have no gripes about it and they can fan how they want to fan. What pisses me off are those who crap on the team, the players, the front office etc over and over and will not give whatever little credit is due. Not after 1 or 2 games but like all season. Like if some random person read all their posts, they would never assume they’re a “kings fan”. They are starting to grind my gears.

I root for a win. Every game. My fandom of the Kings while sitting at home watching a game is not based on lottery odds in a month or two. Heck, some idiot could run a red light tomorrow and I might not even be here by the time next season starts. Who knows?

A fan cheering for a win or wanting a loss for better lottery odds has absolutely ZERO impact on the outcome of the game. ZERO. So why not just enjoy the game being played?

Do I want a #1 pick when the Kings aren't playing well? Yes. Does getting a high pick guarantee anything? No. We know that very well over the decades the team has been here.

And despite the odds sometimes the lottery balls fall our way anyways.

So while I understand the doom and gloom some express with every win while looking at lottery odds, I'm not one of them. I just enjoy the wins when they come and acknowledge the ping-pong ball reality when they don't.

It's basketball, not life or death.
Amen.