Kings acquire Tristan Thompson for Delon Wright

Grade the Trade!

• Total voters
He did not. He struggled to get on the floor over Theis and Williams. Grant Williams started at the 4
That's not true. Thompson started 43 of the 54 games he played.

Looking into some Thompson metrics:

D-LeBron: 1.39
Luck Adjust D-RAPM- 0.68
DBPM: -1.2
Net defensive rating: 0.0 (Very strange)
Defensive Raptor: -0.6

So a little bit all over the place with his defensive metrics, probably with him splitting some time at PF, which I don't think he's suited for at all anymore. Probably fair to call him an average defensive big man with elite rebounding? If he can get his offensive efficiency to where it should be for his role (58%+ TS), I think he'd still be a net positive for somebody.

I just don't think we need that with Len on board.

43 out of 72 and he had a number of DNP-CD because he was out of favor.
Again, I don't think that's true. Celtics went through a nightmare covid situation basically the whole year where a ton of guys missed time. Fairly certain the whole team got knocked out at one point or another.

And he started all 5 games in the playoffs vs BKN, played 26 minutes. Robert Williams was the one Brad actually squeezed out of their playoff rotation.

That's not true. Thompson started 43 of the 54 games he played.

Looking into some Thompson metrics:

D-LeBron: 1.39
Luck Adjust D-RAPM- 0.68
DBPM: -1.2
Net defensive rating: 0.0 (Very strange)
Defensive Raptor: -0.6

So a little bit all over the place with his defensive metrics, probably with him splitting some time at PF, which I don't think he's suited for at all anymore. Probably fair to call him an average defensive big man with elite rebounding? If he can get his offensive efficiency to where it should be for his role (58%+ TS), I think he'd still be a net positive for somebody.

I just don't think we need that with Len on board.
Yeah he started in the beginning and then got DNP-CD for the reasons you mentioned. You can’t play crappy D and play for Brad. There is a reason he is being dumped by Boston.

Again, I don't think that's true. Celtics went through a nightmare covid situation basically the whole year where a ton of guys missed time. Fairly certain the whole team got knocked out at one point or another.

And he started all 5 games in the playoffs vs BKN, played 26 minutes. Robert Williams was the one Brad actually squeezed out of their playoff rotation.
Williams wasn’t healthy. Again how many Boston games did you watch. I probably watched more Boston games than Kings games.

Williams wasn’t healthy. Again how many Boston games did you watch. I probably watched more Boston games than Kings games.
I don't care lol, you're wrong. He went through Covid protocol and it looks like he went through a pectoral injury during the season too.

He missed 12 games due to Covid. He absolutely missed the last 2 games at the end of the year with the injury and Boston was resting guys with their seed locked up. May 5th game looks like an injury. There's 15 of the 18 games he missed I'm sure aren't related to DNP-CD and the few games at the beginning of the year was probably random injuries (im assuming.)

I’m not advocating for TT at all I’m just trying to figure out where Monte may be going with this
I'm with the majority who are less than enamored of a Wright-TT trade. I'd love if he were flipped, especially as part of a Siakam trade or whatever else. But make no mistake: the guy has value.

He rebounds. He's tough. He can/will defend. He's a real "lunch pail" guy, a leader who'll hold others accountable. In that respect, if he remains w/the Kings I think he'll be the front court counterpart to Mitchell - except with years of playing experience.

IMO, this is as much about the mindset TT will bring as about his on-court contributions. And, yeah, that'll matter.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm with the majority who are less than enamored of a Wright-TT trade. I'd love if he were flipped, especially as part of a Siakam trade or whatever else. But make no mistake: the guy has value.

He rebounds. He's tough. He can/will defend. He's a real "lunch pail" guy, a leader who'll hold others accountable. In that respect, if he remains w/the Kings I think he'll be the front court counterpart to Mitchell - except with years of playing experience.

IMO, this is as much about the mindset TT will bring as about his on-court contributions. And, yeah, that'll matter.
I don't see him as someone with much value beyond a deadline trade. But I do agree with what you say, it fits the Monte mold, and I imagine if he suits up for us he'll put in the work. If for no other reason than to play his way out of town at the deadline or on his next contract.

I'm pretty confident that those of you who think the Kings haven't made meaningful improvement since last year will be proven wrong.

Since Opening Day 2020, they've added Mitchell and Davis to their backcourt rotation and figure to lose Buddy. That's a HUGE change defensively in precisely the area where they were weakest. And Fox and Ty were already vowing to tighten up defensively.

Since Opening Day 2020, they've lost Whiteside, GRIII, and Bjelica, and figure to lose Bags from the likely front court rotation. They've added Len, Harkless, and Metu. Significant defensive improvement, w/Monte clearly trying to do more work (Siakam/Harris, anyone?).

And, of course, they've added Doug Christie.

We're talking about a big change in personnel and what promises to be a MASSIVE change in mindset. Yeah, that's all "on paper," but until we see them play in games that count that's all we can say. Minus retaining Walton, I love what Monte has done.

Last edited:
I don't care lol, you're wrong. He went through Covid protocol and it looks like he went through a pectoral injury during the season too.

He missed 12 games due to Covid. He absolutely missed the last 2 games at the end of the year with the injury and Boston was resting guys with their seed locked up. May 5th game looks like an injury. There's 15 of the 18 games he missed I'm sure aren't related to DNP-CD and the few games at the beginning of the year was probably random injuries (im assuming.)
checked the stats. You are correct. Probably just wanted a DNP-CD given the many times he scored 1 basket in 17 minutes.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nba/games/tristan-thompson.php

I'm pretty confident that those of you who think the Kings haven't made meaningful improvement since last year will be proven wrong.

Since Opening Day 2020, they've added Mitchell and Davis to their backcourt rotation and figure to lose Buddy. That's a HUGE change defensively to the area where they were weakest. And Fox and Ty were already vowing to tighten up defensively.

Since Opening Day 2020, they've lost Whiteside, GRIII, and Bjelica, and figure to lose Bags from the likely front court rotation. They've added Len, Harkless, and Metu. Significant defensive improvement, w/Monte clearly trying to do more work. Siakam/Harris/Vanderbilt would be a big improvement over Bags defensively.

We're talking about a big changes in personnel and what promises to be a MASSIVE change in mindset. Yeah, that's all "on paper," but until we see them play in games that count that's all we can say.
You know how it is for us. Lets see if it works for once *Crosses fingers*

checked the stats. You are correct. Probably just wanted a DNP-CD given the many times he scored 1 basket in 17 minutes.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nba/games/tristan-thompson.php
yeah I don't disagree at all that TT took a step back last year. But diving into the numbers a bit more, I think he'd still make a fine back-up C in a 12-15 MPG role and a spot-starter for an injury. That's just not a role we have any use for with the current roster construction.

yeah I don't disagree at all that TT took a step back last year. But diving into the numbers a bit more, I think he'd still make a fine back-up C in a 12-15 MPG role and a spot-starter for an injury. That's just not a role we have any use for with the current roster construction.
Well if you hope that Niemas can be something or that Len might play a role, or that Bagley is best at center.... we have that back up role filled. And Thompson isn’t playing any PF.

Well if you hope that Niemas can be something or that Len might play a role, or that Bagley is best at center.... we have that back up role filled. And Thompson isn’t playing any PF.
As much as I like Queta's potential; in all likelihood, he will spend most of the season in Stocton where he can play a lot of minutes. I prefer Len to TT, but it doesn't hurt to have a safety valve. That being said, I hope he is being moved again in another trade. As for Bagley, I'll wait to see if he is still on the team before guessing how he will be used.

Since Opening Day 2020, they've added Mitchell and Davis to their backcourt rotation and figure to lose Buddy. That's a HUGE change defensively in precisely the area where they were weakest. And Fox and Ty were already vowing to tighten up defensively.

Since Opening Day 2020, they've lost Whiteside, GRIII, and Bjelica, and figure to lose Bags from the likely front court rotation. They've added Len, Harkless, and Metu. Significant defensive improvement, w/Monte clearly trying to do more work (Siakam/Harris, anyone?).

We're talking about a big changes in personnel and what promises to be a MASSIVE change in mindset. Yeah, that's all "on paper," but until we see them play in games that count that's all we can say. I love what Monte has done (minus retaining Walton).
Just curious. Didn’t we have Davis last year? Do you expect Mitchell as a rookie to be better next year than Delon Wright who had one of the best defensive ratings on the team?

Want to get better on defense? Trade Fox for Simmons as Fox has the worst defensive rating on the team. Way worse than Buddy. And if you are going to trade for Ben you might need Buddy so someone can make shots.

On the front line we already had Metu and Harkless did we not? Metu has a worse defensive rating than Buddy. Do you think Len is a difference maker?

Just curious. Didn’t we have Davis last year? Do you expect Mitchell as a rookie to be better next year than Delon Wright who had one of the best defensive ratings on the team?

Want to get better on defense? Trade Fox for Simmons as Fox has the worst defensive rating on the team. Way worse than Buddy. And if you are going to trade for Ben you might need Buddy so someone can make shots.

On the front line we already had Metu and Harkless did we not? Metu has a worse defensive rating than Buddy. Do you think Len is a difference maker?
"Since Opening Day..."

Davis, Wright, and Harkless were acquired on March 25th and played in the 46th game of the season - two-thirds of the way thru the season. Throw in Christie's guidance and emphasis into the mix and, yeah... Put it this way: I expect the defensive intensity we saw at the end of last year to be a constant from the beginning of the year. If so, that adds 10 wins right there.

You seem to think basketball is just a sum-of-parts game, that the only path to improvement is better individual parts.

It's not.

Last edited:
As much as I like Queta's potential; in all likelihood, he will spend most of the season in Stocton where he can play a lot of minutes. I prefer Len to TT, but it doesn't hurt to have a safety valve. That being said, I hope he is being moved again in another trade. As for Bagley, I'll wait to see if he is still on the team before guessing how he will be used.
I hear you. Just pointing out we essentially have 4-6 Centers: Holmes, TT, Len, Bagley, Metu, and Neimas. Depending on how you characterize Bagley and Metu who many around the league feel are centers.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think players are who they can defend, that makes Bagley and Metu's "position" difficult. On the other hand, if they can't take over the game in a way that erases their deficiencies both should be useful in select matchups. Hopefully we move some of these guys but the bonus of not having big men be the high paid anchor of a team is you can have a few of them to use as appropriate.

Still need another full time 3/4 to pair with Barnes if we trot out the modern version of the traditional two guard, two forward, center lineup.