Kings acquire Tristan Thompson for Delon Wright

Grade the Trade!

• Total voters
I can at least understand the Davion pick bearing a breaking point but trading our 4th guard for a backup big?
Nope nope this it. This is the kind of cynical move just to make a move and win the news day move that shows me Monte is an amateur hack. We wouldn't even need insurance for Holmes leaving if we could just renounce all our FAs and he had not picked up Marvin's option last year because then we could give Holmes 18m per. I just hope he comes to his senses and stretches Buddy before August 1. We can not afford to lose our 3rd or 4th most MVP for nothing.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Nope nope this it. This is the kind of cynical move just to make a move and win the news day move that shows me Monte is an amateur hack. We wouldn't even need insurance for Holmes leaving if we could just renounce all our FAs and he had not picked up Marvin's option last year because then we could give Holmes 18m per. I just hope he comes to his senses and stretches Buddy before August 1.
Should’ve traded Barnes and Buddy for conditional second round picks at the deadline

At least TT can get rebounds. That’s something we stink at. 24mpg 8 REB as a backup I’ll gladly take it and it’ll be Hali or Mitchell running the backup unit.

The more I think about this trade it has to be a buyout......... I don't see WHY the kings would bring in TT with Holmes in free agency
Because Holmes is an unrestricted free agent would be my first guess. My next thought is that buying Wright out would have been cheaper. Also Wright is super valuable around the league is something I learned today, so that would have been silly too.

Because Holmes is an unrestricted free agent would be my first guess. My next thought is that buying Wright out would have been cheaper. Also Wright is super valuable around the league is something I learned today, so that would have been silly too.
So were letting Holmes walk just like Bogi.... This seems to be a pattern....

I think we still plan on giving him the early Bird offer. But we are unable to bid higher than that. And if we freed up cap space by releasing players or doing a salary dump, we are literally letting other assets go for zero return, which is the same complaint? Except we'd also have holes and no cap room to fill them.

Frankly I am glad we have a max dollar on Holmes as a bidding war for him is the last thing I want any part of. He is great as a value player.

I think he will either be used as part of another deal and be a back up plan if holmes walks (although going for nerlens or boban or Mitchell robinson would have been better once the holmes domino falls.
Not sure he can be included just after being traded for. Could be moved individually (I think).

At least TT can get rebounds. That’s something we stink at. 24mpg 8 REB as a backup I’ll gladly take it and it’ll be Hali or Mitchell running the backup unit.
Fair point. Having someone to gobble up rebounds would be key if they’re going to go with three guards for long stretches, as appears to be the plan.

Delon Wright was one of the better advanced metric players on the team and the best perimeter defender.

Wasn't Thompson one of the worst rim protectors in the game last year? All he does is rebound and that's it.

Just got rid of an above average player for a below average player that "fits" after spending a lottery pick on a player that doesn't fit. If he's not flipped for something better or equal to Wright, then this is a massive blow to McNair's cred.
Let's hope Dave was right. We'd of been better off with signing someone on a minimum deal later.

Nope nope this it. This is the kind of cynical move just to make a move and win the news day move that shows me Monte is an amateur hack. We wouldn't even need insurance for Holmes leaving if we could just renounce all our FAs and he had not picked up Marvin's option last year because then we could give Holmes 18m per. I just hope he comes to his senses and stretches Buddy before August 1. We can not afford to lose our 3rd or 4th most MVP for nothing.
No Vlade should have given him a 3 year deal then he would of had full bird rights.

Counterpoint; they totally almost WIN-NOW’d into the prestigious play-in tournament.
did they? Not sure if this post is sarcastic or not. Delon for Mitchell is most likely a downgrade for this coming year even if he ultimately is a very good player.

Thompson is definitely a downgrade by most metrics.

I’m struggling to see at this point how this team isn’t worse next year which may be Monte’s super secret plan if he has a plan .

Would be nice but which wing could we realistically get for Delon? This looks like the first trade of several. Monte won’t be sitting on his hands from what i can tell
Not just Delon, but when easing the crunch in the backcourt. I'm sure most assumed Buddy would be the one moved.

The weirdest notion i think I've ever seen is that Holmes isn't a good defender on this forum.
I get where people are coming from but it's exaggerated.

His defense is better than it looks but it's not legit rim protector type defense. If our guards (not counting Mitchell) are going to be revolving doors then I understand where people are coming from when they say Holmes isn't a good fit for us but he's a much better defender than he's been given credit for and has far exceeded what you'd expect from an undersized 5.

If Queta turns out to be that type, he and Holmes would make a heck of a pair depending on what the matchup is.

This just sounds like a knee jerk move after our draft didn't go as planned. I had hope Delon could have at least been an add-on in a Buddy or Marvin trade. He still has some kind of positive value around the league. TT does not... accept apparently to us.

I just see TT mailing it in all season, waiting out his time, sitting with constant ghost injuries. Just no heart or soul in it for him. Hopefully not teaching the kids any bad habits. Hope not.
I think this is exactly what it is. They planned for one player, that player is gone, so they change direction completely.

If anything it would be a knee jerk move to the Buddy trade falling apart. And apparently everyone thought it was on.

But I don't think shuffling around MLE players is knee jerk anything. It's boring stuff like a Monday team office meeting.
Contract year bigs tend to outplay their value. I'm fine keeping him around as long as we don't re-sign him.
Nah, they are clearly looking for value out of Buddy. Some team would easily want him cheap if goal 1 is to move him. This is a reaction to Franz Wagner being gone at 9 and going "bpa".

They didn't do their homework until 2 hours before it was due. At least with Holmes for sure. They knew they were limited in how they could bring him back. The back end of the year two of the most highly showcased players were Davis and Holmes. Both free agents to be. Instead of clearing cap to bring Holmes back, he added to win now at the deadline. We have to see what he does but Monte appears to be a really safe type of GM. The anti-Vlade if you will. Letting someone go if it's a bad deal is something he's obviously willing to do and considering where the Kings are at, I think it's the smart play. The question is if things head south, does he have the cajones to go FULL ON in a direction. He hasn't done that yet.