Kings 2022 Play-off Chances.

Using the Suns comparison the difference has to primarily come on the defensive end of the court. CP3 and Jae Crowder and both good defenders who were added to the Suns.

Add those two to the Kings and they make the Playoffs assuming good fortune and Coaching.
Yes, add a future hall of fame / all time great point guard to this roster and it just might happen .

I’m always overly optimistic after the draft as we go through training camp. Anything is possible, but I would be happy with hitting .500 regardless of playoffs or not. I feel confident in saying McNair will not be doing a full “rebuild”, so absent injuries not sure why we should expect a worse record than last year. Based on his moves at the deadline, I would think he’ll at least tinker enough to incrementally improve the bench some more. I guess if we lose Holmes that could change things, but I’m still not totally sure he’s really the COG that significantly changes our win total.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I've seen comparisons to Suns. My question is: wehere are we getting that All Nba level talent like they did with Crhis Paul? I've said the exact same thing year after year. We absolutely need that level of a player added to this core. Our supporting cast is very good. We need that top level player that elevates us from bad to good. Still my question is: where the F*** are we getting that guy while capped out and drafting at bad position?
I think it has to a ATL template. Beyond Trae Young, you have a good defensive center and then a boatload of wings or pieces you can matchup or create mismatches. Gallinari and Lou Williams off the bench is elite bench scoring, then they have their defensive pieces, etc

Atlanta is a better template

I think it has to a ATL template. Beyond Trae Young, you have a good defensive center and then a boatload of wings or pieces you can matchup or create mismatches. Gallinari and Lou Williams off the bench is elite bench scoring, then they have their defensive pieces, etc

Atlanta is a better template
It could be but theres couple of problems imo:

1) We dont have a player as impactful as Trae Young. Trae is one of the best offensive players in the whole league. Fox isnt that and defensively seems to be a negative as well even when he has the tools to be better than that.

2)We are capped out, drafting at bad position. How can we strenghten this team from this bad to a serious contender by only getting better role players? Seriously I would like to know since I've thought about it a lot. Whats Buddys trade value with his current contract? Its not good. Same with Bagley. Holmes is getting paid. How on earth are we going to improve as a capped out team drafting 9th and without any good trade pieces that we would be willing to trade

1) We dont have a player as impactful as Trae Young. Trae is one of the best offensive players in the whole league. Fox isnt that and defensively seems to be a negative as well even when he has the tools to be better than that.

2)We are capped out, drafting at bad position. How can we strenghten this team from this bad to a serious contender by only getting better role players? Seriously I would like to know since I've thought about it a lot. Whats Buddys trade value with his current contract? Its not good. Same with Bagley. Holmes is getting paid. How on earth are we going to improve as a capped out team drafting 9th and without any good trade pieces that we would be willing to trade
The Kings have one of the lowest overall team salaries in the NBA.
Perhaps one of the Capologists can explain how the Kings are “capped out” but still on the low end for salaries???
It would seem the solution is to pay more for better players? Or is that to simple?

to your point the Hawks have Hunter, Reddish Huerter and Collins. They have a ton of young wings. Hunter may be their best young wing and he was drafted with the 4th pick.

They used cap space to add Bogi which we don’t have.

Of course the Kings have a realistic chance at the playoffs next season. This time of the year is usually where that possibility is the highest because there are possible moves to be made and the draft hasn't happened yet. I love this period of time as a Kings fan because I can talk myself into all kinds of fruitful scenarios that could play out ala Richmond for Webber.

Why dig the grave before the offseason even starts when we always have the whole season to do it?

I've seen comparisons to Suns. My question is: wehere are we getting that All Nba level talent like they did with Crhis Paul? I've said the exact same thing year after year. We absolutely need that level of a player added to this core. Our supporting cast is very good. We need that top level player that elevates us from bad to good. Still my question is: where the F*** are we getting that guy while capped out and drafting at bad position?
Well if we actually can make the playoffs and do it consistently, we might be able to lure that kind of talent. We all know it’s hard to get free agents here but it’s easier to lure them to a playoff team vs a bottom dweller. So I don’t see us taking a suns level leap but if we can at least make it to the playins then 7-8 seed the following year, that’s a good trend and an all star looking for a change of scenery or looking for a payday might come. That is when we can actually start talking about contention vs just making the playoffs

I think it continues what McNair has already done: Make good decisions and win the fringes as he's done. If you think about it:

Hali
Wright
Davis
Jones
Metu

all added for basically no assets or us getting rid of bad assets (CoJo dead money this summer). He has to continue to win in the draft and cheap pick-ups. I think more about the Sean Marks model where he spent the first few years of his tenure doing exactly that: taking on contracts for picks, winning the cheap deals. He of course had the good fortune that KD and Kyrie wanted to play there, but the Nets were also in a position to pounce on the opportunity when Harden became available. And he took over right in the middle of the Nets having nothing after the Celtics trade.

Of course the Kings have a realistic chance at the playoffs next season. This time of the year is usually where that possibility is the highest because there are possible moves to be made and the draft hasn't happened yet. I love this period of time as a Kings fan because I can talk myself into all kinds of fruitful scenarios that could play out ala Richmond for Webber.

Why dig the grave before the offseason even starts when we always have the whole season to do it?
It is sad that the start of the off-season, before anything actually happens, brings the moments of most optimism for kings fans. Lol

dude12

Hall of Famer

Well we completely disagree on the Fox value and I’m not interested in comparing them other than to say, Fox does impact the game. But whatever. Last I checked, Monte was able to acquire pieces at the deadline that addressed major defensive issues. I believe Monte will be able to find cheaper alternative 3 and D guys. Since we all are just pontificating on HOW they might be able to make the playoffs, this is all speculation and hoping what may happen.

I go to Woodard as a guy who is supposed to be a defensive capable guy. None of us know if he’s capable because they just wouldn’t give him time. He’s now going to have a real summer and training camp. Of course, Walton has to use these guys and their skill set. Justin James is a capable defensive player and Walton wouldn’t let him sniff the court.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think it continues what McNair has already done: Make good decisions and win the fringes as he's done. If you think about it:

Hali
Wright
Davis
Jones
Metu

all added for basically no assets or us getting rid of bad assets (CoJo dead money this summer). He has to continue to win in the draft and cheap pick-ups. I think more about the Sean Marks model where he spent the first few years of his tenure doing exactly that: taking on contracts for picks, winning the cheap deals. He of course had the good fortune that KD and Kyrie wanted to play there, but the Nets were also in a position to pounce on the opportunity when Harden became available. And he took over right in the middle of the Nets having nothing after the Celtics trade.
This is what gives me hope…..once again, I know, but I think looking at his acquisitions, you see the type of guys he’s adding. I’d even put Harkless into that group, not that Harkless was great but he brought a skill set of being able to defend the pick and roll and knowing team defense in general. It made a difference.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The Kings have one of the lowest overall team salaries in the NBA.
Perhaps one of the Capologists can explain how the Kings are “capped out” but still on the low end for salaries???
Well, as it stands right now, there are 13 teams in the NBA with lower salaries next year than the Kings. There are 12-13 teams that either will have cap space next year or have reasonable options to get there. The Kings can get a little bit under the cap, but it will be hard to get more than $10M under, and if you can't get $10M under, then your cap space is worth less than the MLE.

Well if we actually can make the playoffs and do it consistently, we might be able to lure that kind of talent. We all know it’s hard to get free agents here but it’s easier to lure them to a playoff team vs a bottom dweller. So I don’t see us taking a suns level leap but if we can at least make it to the playins then 7-8 seed the following year, that’s a good trend and an all star looking for a change of scenery or looking for a payday might come. That is when we can actually start talking about contention vs just making the playoffs
I think that's exactly right. And, to me, *that* is by far the most compelling reason to push for the playoffs and the reason McNair et al are doing it. It's not (only) about making the playoffs to avoid the futility record. It's that the best way to attract free agents, and certainly a top free agent, is to have a team where said free agent can imagine himself putting the team over the top.

They have two very promising young players (Fox, Ty), some quality vets around them (HB, Wright, Jones, and hopefully, Davis) and, some additional trade chips w/value (Buddy, Bags, #9), and I'm still hoping that if Holmes leaves it's via sign'n'trade. They certainly could walk into next season w/a better team than the one they left with, a team a 2022 free agent like JJJ could want to join.

Looking forward to seeing what happens.

While the addition of Paul, a future HOF, was obviously a huge boost, let's not forget that they went 8-0 in the bubble (without Paul). I think they had the trappings of a good, balanced team (a proficient scorer in Booker, a large front court presence in Ayton, and a defensive minded wing in Bridges). With the addition of Paul, they were able to put it all together.

We have to shore up our front court to get better. Hopefully, Bagley stays healthy, and gives us a presence there. Even if we trade him, hopefully he raises his trade value before we do so.

In my view a lot of you name some valuable and important points.

In General I guess it is important for the team and the perception of the franchise (not just for fans but also for potential players/prospects) to break the ‚curse‘ and become a regular playoff team in the next 1-3 years and to ‚awaken‘ a new spirit but not to go on like in the past years (stuck in nowhere).

While the addition of Paul, a future HOF, was obviously a huge boost, let's not forget that they went 8-0 in the bubble (without Paul). I think they had the trappings of a good, balanced team (a proficient scorer in Booker, a large front court presence in Ayton, and a defensive minded wing in Bridges). With the addition of Paul, they were able to put it all together.
Additionally, let's not forget who is coaching the Suns...and who is still coaching the Kings.

Last edited:
Additionally, let's not forget who is coaching the Suns...and who is still coaching the Kings.
Exactly right IMO as well. Monty Williams has the Suns playing good defense. Monty’s previous experience with CP3 played a huge role in him joining the Suns. Having Vets like Paul and Crowder playing hard defense sets the standard for the young Suns players.
The Kings have Walton instead but if a couple players buy in to playing defense things could turn around and the whole team could focus on defense. Better defense, a good Rookie and Free Agent and the Kings could improve 10 games or more in the win column. A Vet SF who gets after it on defense added to the current squad could change things a lot. A Rookie on the second unit doing the same thing and the Kings are suddenly in most games IMO.

As an ex kings fan, I'm rooting for them to set a playoff free streak that will never be broken. As long as vivek is at the helm, id say their chances are pretty high that it continues.

Vivek ruined my fandom so screw him. I hope he goes down as the worst owner of any professional sports franchise.

2022 NBA Title odds in the west
Lakers +475 Pacific
Clippers +800 Pacific
Warriors +1200 Pacific
Suns +1400 Pacific
Jazz +1500 Northwest
Nuggets +2000 Northwest
Mavericks +2800 Southwest

Trail Blazers +5000 Northwest
Pelicans +8000 Southwest
Grizzlies +10,000 Southwest

TWolves +25000 Northwest
Spurs +25000 Southwest
Kings +25000 Pacific

Rockets +50000 Southwest
Thunder +50000 Northwest

making short term moves against these odds :rolleyes:
I get where you're coming from but the idea of "the West is stacked, let's not even try to compete" is a loser mentality.

McNair doesn't need to make exclusively short term moves. He just has to use the off-season to improve the team.

If they make the playoffs then great but the goal is consistent improvement. As for the odds, why would Vegas give the Kings a chance? They've been awful forever. The odds will only change when the team improves.

I get where you're coming from but the idea of "the West is stacked, let's not even try to compete" is a loser mentality.

McNair doesn't need to make exclusively short term moves. He just has to use the off-season to improve the team.

If they make the playoffs then great but the goal is consistent improvement. As for the odds, why would Vegas give the Kings a chance? They've been awful forever. The odds will only change when the team improves.
A) I’m not saying the west is stacked. I’m saying the Pacific Division in 2022 is likely the toughest ever.

B) the fact the Kings will play more games versus Pacific Division teams then team in the Northwest or Southwest Division teams is just a fact.

C) No one is giving up but making short term optimizing moves may not make sense given the schedule.

D) the team could well improve but see no impact in the winning percentage given the last year was not an unbalanced schedule.

If Fox takes another step, Halliburton improves, and our draft pick hits the ground running, we are still the 12th best team in the West. Our only hope of the playoffs is injuries.
Save the doom and gloom for mid season at least :D Absolutely no one on this forum predicted the Suns would be in the finals and the Hawks would be on the brink. I know we have a terrible track record but anything can happen.

With the way Vivek manages the team, that player is going to have to be found somewhere in the 8-12 range in the draft.

The 7akers could completely implode. Kawhi may not come back for a bit, or play enough games for the Clippers to be any good. The Warriors could be anywhere on the spectrum between really bad or good. The Suns will almost definitely be good again, provided retain their pieces and are relatively healthy.

I happen to think that Fox and Haliburton is a formidable backcourt that can only get better. The combined output of both of those players is very high. There are some solid to good pieces around them as well. As bad as we were for some long stretches during the season, we still almost snuck into the playoffs. This is a team that is one event away (be it a new player or a coaching change) from being good and in the playoffs.

The 7akers could completely implode. Kawhi may not come back for a bit, or play enough games for the Clippers to be any good. The Warriors could be anywhere on the spectrum between really bad or good. The Suns will almost definitely be good again, provided retain their pieces and are relatively healthy.

I happen to think that Fox and Haliburton is a formidable backcourt that can only get better. The combined output of both of those players is very high. There are some solid to good pieces around them as well. As bad as we were for some long stretches during the season, we still almost snuck into the playoffs. This is a team that is one event away (be it a new player or a coaching change) from being good and in the playoffs.
I think it all comes down to Haliburton. He showed natural instincts when it comes to steals but he's still a very poor defender overall. If his defense can improve to become a good perimeter defender, they may have a chance. If his defense doesn't get much better and he and Fox are just good overall offensive players....I think they're just going to wind up being a poor man's version of Dame and McCollum. Not a good scenario since those guys are at the back end of the playoffs most years. I'll take back end of the playoffs myself but I don't know if the poor man's version of those two can get you there.

Coaching change will be required as well so I don't see it happening next year, even if Hali takes a step forward.