Kings 2022 Play-off Chances.

I think it all comes down to Haliburton. He showed natural instincts when it comes to steals but he's still a very poor defender overall. If his defense can improve to become a good perimeter defender, they may have a chance. If his defense doesn't get much better and he and Fox are just good overall offensive players....I think they're just going to wind up being a poor man's version of Dame and McCollum. Not a good scenario since those guys are at the back end of the playoffs most years. I'll take back end of the playoffs myself but I don't know if the poor man's version of those two can get you there.

Coaching change will be required as well so I don't see it happening next year, even if Hali takes a step forward.
I think that's what I'm most intrigued by this off-season: where McNair's head is at with regards to the core. He's essentially only made 2 long-term decisions: not resign Bogi and draft Hali. Everything else has been minor transactions or just good value wins in the trade market/FA pick-ups.

I think that's what I'm most intrigued by this off-season: where McNair's head is at with regards to the core. He's essentially only made 2 long-term decisions: not resign Bogi and draft Hali. Everything else has been minor transactions or just good value wins in the trade market/FA pick-ups.
Yeah I'm 50/50 on the Bogi thing but who could have envisioned his offense taking off like that? His defense still sucked so I think the Kings would still be in the same position whether they signed him or not.

I don't give him much credit for the Hali move because it seemed like a no brainer. Kind of like Vlade picking Fox. I mean we didn't even talk about Hali much at all last offseason because we didn't think he would even get close to falling to us. Then again, a handful of other GMs passed on him so I have to give the man credit for not being as dumb as the rest.

The CoJo for Wright trade was great. It just sucks when a coach, GM and owner aren't on the same page because the smart thing would have been to acquire the better players, tank and then roll in to the next season with an upgraded roster + a high draft pick. I'm surprised Detroit made that trade. I would have thought they would have been looking for a younger asset since they're essentially in the same situation as the Kings. Either way, good move by Monte. Bad move by Walton to take the gloves off and duke it out to get the 9th pick in the draft.

The 7akers could completely implode. Kawhi may not come back for a bit, or play enough games for the Clippers to be any good. The Warriors could be anywhere on the spectrum between really bad or good. The Suns will almost definitely be good again, provided retain their pieces and are relatively healthy.

I happen to think that Fox and Haliburton is a formidable backcourt that can only get better. The combined output of both of those players is very high. There are some solid to good pieces around them as well. As bad as we were for some long stretches during the season, we still almost snuck into the playoffs. This is a team that is one event away (be it a new player or a coaching change) from being good and in the playoffs.
The Kings as is have more depth than just about any team out there. as well The issue is if the 2 Walton seasons weren't a fluke then that kind of performance could be the norm. So far in totality Waltons teams suck during the bulk of the season in the first 2/3 where you can't be a sub .400 team. Back to back seasons prior to the deadline they were. After the deadline and he was able to boost role guys thanks to injuries they were about a .500 team. This season proves if it's his MO or not. If it is, this will be his last gig in the NBA.

Well if we actually can make the playoffs and do it consistently, we might be able to lure that kind of talent. We all know it’s hard to get free agents here but it’s easier to lure them to a playoff team vs a bottom dweller. So I don’t see us taking a suns level leap but if we can at least make it to the playins then 7-8 seed the following year, that’s a good trend and an all star looking for a change of scenery or looking for a payday might come. That is when we can actually start talking about contention vs just making the playoffs
I think to get to a 7-8 seed you are doing to have to go 6-10 at least in division. So where do you see the six in division wins coming from?

in the other divisions they have 3 or 4 wins against Houston and OKC.

Yeah I'm 50/50 on the Bogi thing but who could have envisioned his offense taking off like that? His defense still sucked so I think the Kings would still be in the same position whether they signed him or not.

I don't give him much credit for the Hali move because it seemed like a no brainer. Kind of like Vlade picking Fox. I mean we didn't even talk about Hali much at all last offseason because we didn't think he would even get close to falling to us. Then again, a handful of other GMs passed on him so I have to give the man credit for not being as dumb as the rest.

The CoJo for Wright trade was great. It just sucks when a coach, GM and owner aren't on the same page because the smart thing would have been to acquire the better players, tank and then roll in to the next season with an upgraded roster + a high draft pick. I'm surprised Detroit made that trade. I would have thought they would have been looking for a younger asset since they're essentially in the same situation as the Kings. Either way, good move by Monte. Bad move by Walton to take the gloves off and duke it out to get the 9th pick in the draft.
Detroit saved money to use in free agency and they acquired 2 second round picks.

Essentially, the Pistons will have around $20 million in cap space if they don’t pick up Cory Joseph’s contract (they won’t), don’t make a qualifying offer to Dennis Smith Jr. (they shouldn’t) and let Rodney McGruder walk (they will).

I think to get to a 7-8 seed you are doing to have to go 6-10 at least in division. So where do you see the six in division wins coming from?

in the other divisions they have 3 or 4 wins against Houston and OKC.
Well first step was to make the playins before we try the 7-8 seed. Spurs made it with a 33-39 record so if we at least hover around 0.500 we might make it. 4-5 games is possible if healthy and and a year of growth from our guys. Also we might get some luck if other teams have injuries or play less than their normal standards. I really don’t think that’s out of the question. Those wins could even be won against eastern conference teams we should have beat.

I agree that it is possibles to get those wins. Next to some luck and development of our guys it is highly important to consistently win against worser teams - then we still can afford to lose more games in our division but make it into the play-ins (still I am unsure if we are able to win 70-80% against such teams).

Well first step was to make the playins before we try the 7-8 seed. Spurs made it with a 33-39 record so if we at least hover around 0.500 we might make it. 4-5 games is possible if healthy and and a year of growth from our guys. Also we might get some luck if other teams have injuries or play less than their normal standards. I really don’t think that’s out of the question. Those wins could even be won against eastern conference teams we should have beat.
I am assuming you will beat eastern conference teams at about the rate at a rate of .55% which is better than .500. But even if you do that you still only win 36 games. Leaving you with having to win 6 games in Division to get to .500.

so basically you are counting on injuries.

Even if you bump it up to winning at a .59% rate against all none division teams that still only gets you to 39 wins and leaves you needing 3 wins in division just to get to .500.

I think people are way underestimating the challenges of playing in a division where every other team in the division is essentially a top 5 team in the league. Other teams not in our division playing a .59% pace over 82 games will have won 48 plus games.

Last edited:
I am assuming you will beat eastern conference teams at about the rate at a rate of .55% which is better than .500. But even if you do that you still only win 36 games. Leaving you with having to win 6 games in Division to get to .500.

Even if you bump it up to winning at a .59% rate against all none division teams that still only gets you to 39 wins and leaves you needing 3 wins in division just to get to .500.

I think people are way underestimating the challenges of playing in a division where every other team in the division is essentially a top 5 team in the league. Other teams not in our division playing a .59% pace over 82 games will have won 48 plus games.
Good analysis of the competition. IMO the only way the Kings improve is by playing better defense. Fox and Ty need to get stronger and focus on defense as does the rest of the team. Acquiring a couple more players who excel at defense while still being able to shoot could make all the difference,

That’s all good and true but sometimes things just work out. Not saying it will or the chances are high. Who really expected the suns to be the 2 seed. Especially considering their division and conference. Maybe they were just expecting to build off last year and get the 7-8 seed and look what happened. Or the hawks who started off poorly then going on a run. Chances are based on the stats you are correct. I’m just saying there’s a chance and if ( I know it’s a big if) we consistently are in playoff contention, better free agents might be willing to come here.

Good analysis of the competition. IMO the only way the Kings improve is by playing better defense. Fox and Ty need to get stronger and focus on defense as does the rest of the team. Acquiring a couple more players who excel at defense while still being able to shoot could make all the difference,
Yep and if we are good enough to get 6 games in Division we will probably with 40 plus games out. I don’t see us having much chance of being around a .500 team (42 wins). We either will be around 35 or around 48.

That’s all good and true but sometimes things just work out. Not saying it will or the chances are high. Who really expected the suns to be the 2 seed. Especially considering their division and conference. Maybe they were just expecting to build off last year and get the 7-8 seed and look what happened. Or the hawks who started off poorly then going on a run. Chances are based on the stats you are correct. I’m just saying there’s a chance and if ( I know it’s a big if) we consistently are in playoff contention, better free agents might be willing to come here.
I think the Suns are a case in point. Once they were good enough to win in division it meant they were really good and you saw this step function jump in record. Now with the Suns also where they are, the step function jump becomes an even more likely outcome

in any other Division the Kings are likely a .500 team and in the play-in next year. But in our division it’s a challenge especially given our lack of large wings.

How many people thought the Suns were 1 player away from going to the finals last off-season?

Things can change rapidly.

There's no guarantee that Kawhi stays in LA or stays healthy. Also no guarantee that time doesn't catch up with LeBron - either slowing down significantly or injuries.

The Warriors missed the playoffs this season with Curry at an MVP level and Klay's return should fix that but who knows?

McNair has a lot of work to do this off-season but with the right moves the playoffs aren't that difficult of a goal in a league where more teams make the postseason than don't. We often just have a warped perspective because the Kings have been so poorly run for so long.
Very true. The play in games also make it a lot easier

Hell, if we simply have a full healthy roster for a stretch longer than 3 games, we’d probably be having a different discussion right now.