KHTK

The tweets from a lot of former KHTK's made the picture pretty clear.

The Kings don't need to boss KHTK around, because KHTK -- which is nearly as mismanaged and incompetent as the Kings -- keeps the BS flowing from BS mountain to both: keep sucker Kings fans listening; and ensure the Kings are so pleased with the coverage that they never leave KTHK. If the Kings left KHTK, the station would immediately fold.

The PD suspends the afternoon host because he violated the prime directives above. The Kings didn't need to call, because KHTK management already had them covered. If they want to reach out, it's by phone not paper. The Kings are really really really dumb ... but not that dumb.

I still think it's 50/50 Dave got the same suspension and spun it as "out sick". But, I can't see the papers thing happening.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

The Kings don't need to boss KHTK around, because KHTK -- which is nearly as mismanaged and incompetent as the Kings -- keeps the BS flowing from BS mountain to both: keep sucker Kings fans listening; and ensure the Kings are so pleased with the coverage that they never leave KTHK. If the Kings left KHTK, the station would immediately fold.

The PD suspends the afternoon host because he violated the prime directives above. The Kings didn't need to call, because KHTK management already had them covered. If they want to reach out, it's by phone not paper. The Kings are really really really dumb ... but not that dumb.

I still think it's 50/50 Dave got the same suspension and spun it as "out sick". But, I can't see the papers thing happening.
I'm gonna call foul right now. I think you're tarnishing a good guy's name with nothing more than some kind of idea about how KHTK works. Dave wouldn't spin anything in that regard, and Kayte and others certainly wouldn't make comments about his "sick poopies." Unless you believe, of course, that there's a vast conspiracy to cover up some kind of disciplinary action. Let's get real, okay?

So I'm not going to address any of this, because I won't speak for others and it's not my place to.

Except

I was in no way shape or form disciplined, suspended, whatever. I was SICK. Very sick. Haiti sick.

And rather than protesteth too much, I'll simply say:

If I was suspended or disciplined or whatever, is there anything in my history or relationship with kings fans or station listeners that would lead you to think I wouldn't mount my horse and scream from a mountaintop? I have, nor have I ever lied to listeners. That relationship is vital, and once credibility is gone, it's gone.

I was sick. Ask my poor wife.

The same guy pulled Barling as well as John Dickinson three times for being critical of the Kings (per Dickinson's twitter on 2/22). It's a thing

Based upon what went down that day, what followed, and the overall body of work, I'm not giving a presumption of innocence or guilt. I am sincerely sorry if you were either really sick ... or pulled off air and given a 24 twitter ban. But that's a tangent. My point is that the Kings don't censor negative KHTK hosts. KHTK censors negative KTHK hosts. That's my point.

John Dickinson was not employed by KHTK during the current PD's tenure.
It appears that I misconstrued the whom from Dickinson's tweet. Wouldn't two different supervisors at the same station suspending two different hosts for being critical of the Kings support my point that the station has a long track record and several good reasons to censor their hosts when they get negative about the ineptitude of the Kings?

Hey Dave will you leave MJ alone?

"The ceiling is the roof."

That taken in a sound bite...

Ceiling is often used as highest level of attainment you can get in sports/basketball like a draft pick.

Like prospect A's ceiling is "a certain player" and his floor is "a different certain player"

Our at the start of the season, you may say the teams ceiling is 8th seed or something like that.

Now there's a good chance Jordan is going to talk in basketball slang, so when he says "The ceiling is the roof" it basically means the goals or aspirations are as high as they can get.

Or perhaps we won't accept less than perfection, or set your goals as high as they can get.

Come on man.

Last edited:
Haha even taking your thoughts as gospel, what kind of motivation is that? Don't you want to break through that roof?

They don't call it "the lead ceiling" for a reason. It's glass because it can be shattered!

Methinks our MJ misspoke, and it was quite funny

KHTK is ALWAYS doing this BS.
That they care about the listeners is complete horse s***. If they did they wouldn't blow up another crew whether it be the afternoon group or the morning crew once we have finally got comfortable with them. Keep F'ing with us KHTK. There are other options in the morning, you know that don't you?

I can't listen to any of the early shows, all of them are brutal imo. The rise guys or grant now that Doug's on. I couldn't do grant at all before so I'm glad he brought in Doug... They do way more Kings coverage than the rise guys.

These two statements seem to be incongruous.
I meant I don't listen to any of the early shows because I haven't found one I enjoy. I do however listen to afternoon local sports talk... The rise guys are a favorite of mine and I've also gone back to grant now that Doug is on. The rise guys sometimes don't do enough Kings talk for me.

Wow, Kevin Sherrets, is already out. Kings and KHTK dump significant bodies on a big NBA news day and just before the Kings have a big draft day that blows out the mummers.

Meh. #Sticktosports guy is the worst.
Almost as bad as Bait and switch guy. Not quite though.

I keep hearing them(a lot of sports media guys) repeat how politics is intertwined and must be discussed on a show that covers multiple kids games that have nothing at all to do with politics...but they always carry on with the agenda before explaining why that is."Sports and politics are hand and hand..why? Because!"

I know of course.

If they just said every individual host/network/publication has a staunch political agenda that they want to exercise, not out of necessity but out of desire to beat people over the head with their view of topics already exhausted by actual political talking heads..I'd have more respect. The BS that it's essential to sports conversation is an insult.

Also, stick to sports is pretty helpful advice for sports commentators. I never actually think "stick to sports". If they start talking about mundane everyday BS..I'll think of the other hosts in town that talk about mundane stuff better. If they talk about politics..well, I'll explore the plethora of political hosts that actually know what they're talking about and not just what they were fed in the headlines. Sports media has taken some hits and the forms that are doing well is the more direct social media platforms or the official league channels that are strictly about the game. Sticking to sports works.

I want to add that I don't include the commentators personal pages like Twitter or Facebook as a stick to sports situation. I'm not at all concerned if Sports hosts want to foam out the mouth on their personal platforms. I know they must get it a lot on those platforms and that's not fair..but on a sports station. It's not unreasonable to expect sports discussion. The whole hand in hand argument is a lie to infest lighthearted past times with aggravation and vitriol since these days everybody acts like a politician who needs their moment to grandstand and be heard on the issues that matter!!!

One more thing, I'm not referring to anybody at KHTK in particular with the rant. I really enjoy Dave and Kayte. More the state of sports media in general since this contamination has been going on for a few years with sports media. If the sports and politics go hand and hand lie sounds lifted from their show..just know tons of off topic sports personalities drop that when they want you to hear their hot political take but know that the listener isn't interested.

Dave and Kayte is a very good sports show but I have heard them drop that a couple times and it's not safe for me to have eye rolls of that magnitude when driving on the freeway.

Last edited: