KHTK - Interest in E Jordan

On the Rise Guys there was a news report that league sources said the Kings are interested in interviewing Jordan. Apparently Jordan is in discussions with the Wiz about an extension and the Kings would have to get permission from the Wiz to talk to Jordan.

Here's the article, from the Washington Times:

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20060511-120755-6680r.htm

Kings eyeing Wizards' Jordan
By John N. Mitchell
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
May 11, 2006

Washington Wizards coach Eddie Jordan, who has one year remaining on his contract, has been identified by the Sacramento Kings as a candidate to replace Rick Adelman, two league sources confirmed yesterday.
The Kings, who did not extend Adelman's contract or those of his four assistants, have not publicly identified any candidates, and it is believed several names will surface as potential hires.
The Kings are also precluded from having any contact with Jordan. If they wish to speak with him while he is under contract, they must first get permission from the Wizards.
Jordan, who this season coached the Wizards to their second consecutive playoff appearance, has one more year left on his approximately $12?million deal.
Wizards president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld said Jordan's future with the team beyond this season would be addressed during summer meetings that would include himself, Jordan and team owner Abe Pollin.
Earlier this week, Jordan said he intended to honor the remainder of his contract.
"It's going to be up to Mr. Pollin and Ernie to move in any direction after that," Jordan said. "I have a contract that I have to honor and I have another year on that contract."
The Kings fired Adelman on Tuesday, shortly after they lost to San Antonio in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs. Adelman, the most successful coach in Kings history, is 14th on the NBA's career list with 752 victories.
Jordan began his coaching career in Sacramento when he took over after the Kings fired Garry St. Jean near the end of the 1996-97 season. The following season, Jordan led the Kings to a 27-55 record. Sacramento hired Adelman before the 1998-99 season.
Jordan took the Wizards from 25-57 in his first season in 2003 to 45-37 in his second. The Wizards made the playoffs that year for the first time in eight seasons, reaching the second round for the first time since 1982 before losing to Miami. This season, despite multiple roster moves, the Wizards finished 42-40 but were eliminated by Cleveland in six games in the first round. Jordan's regular-season coaching record is 145-198.

Eddie Jordan is NEVER known as a defensive coach -- a major reason the Wiz team is not going anywhere. In fact, I would rate him below Adelman on the defensive side.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Indeed -- if defense is the prerequisite here, then going form Adelman, who HAS coached top defensive teams, to Jordan, who never has, would make little if any sense.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ah, but it's not about defense, you silly people. According to the LATEST articles, it's all about hand-shaking and public appearances, bonding with the fans, etc.

:rolleyes:

VF21 said:
Ah, but it's not about defense, you silly people. According to the LATEST articles, it's all about hand-shaking and public appearances, bonding with the fans, etc.

:rolleyes:
yup...and people are definitely gonna want to shake hands with the frighteningly-lizard-like eddie jordan. the guy's got yellow eyes, for goodness sake!!!

;)

out of the all the canidates that we've bounced around, I think that the three that fit our needs ultimately, defensively, are PJ Carlesimo, Stan Van Gundy and Don Nelson.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Don Nelson circa 1980s maybe. Unfortunately this is 2006.

Carlesimo? I just don't see it happening.

Van Gundy? A lot like Rick in some respects. I think the players would be okay, and he does focus on defense.

Denis Rodman - Hey, I still think that would be the icing on the cake!!!

:D

VF21 said:
Don Nelson circa 1980s maybe. Unfortunately this is 2006.

Carlesimo? I just don't see it happening.

Van Gundy? A lot like Rick in some respects. I think the players would be okay, and he does focus on defense.

Denis Rodman - Hey, I still think that would be the icing on the cake!!!

:D
Dennis Rodman...errr...Rodzilla!;) NIIICE!!! Now THAT would be something to write home about. I kinda liked the idea of Michael Cooper, but not sure about the whole NBA experience thing, coaching-wise, since he's only coached in the WNBA...but he IS all-defense, though...literally, he was lights out as a player.

Bricklayer said:
So were Elston Turner and T.R. Dunn
agreed...and at this point we have NO idea of who our next coach is. It may be someone that we never even though of...the Maloofs and GP may have a few that we missed(although we've just about thrown EVERYONE out there that we can think of).

Won't buy the interest in Jordan until it's official they interviewed him. Even then, until he's named coach. Only reason his name is up in the air is because of his history with the team. He doesn't fit the billing of the Maloof's statements, plus he's taken the Wiz to the POs twice in a row.

wow22 said:
i think don nelson would be good because he is the best at exploiting matchup problems, and our team is covered with them...
No defense. Along with this: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2440697

Last edited:
I don't want him and I seriously doubt we get EJ. Seems a lot of the press on these prospects are speculation for that cities local papers. ALA Oregon and Porter.

I have a feeling its going to come down to two people. Rise guys mentioned one of them this morning and that would make for a VERY interesting pick reaction wise. Think Monarchs.

BigWaxer said:
I don't want him and I seriously doubt we get EJ. Seems a lot of the press on these prospects are speculation for that cities local papers. ALA Oregon and Porter.

I have a feeling its going to come down to two people. Rise guys mentioned one of them this morning and that would make for a VERY interesting pick reaction wise. Think Monarchs.
Whisenant isn't going to work... 1) He can't take a full NBA season, it's bad for his health. He probably won't even coach the Monarchs next year. 2) He has no NBA experience. 3) The players may not take him seriously. 4) We don't have the same kind of team the Monarchs had. We have one elite defender and a few decent ones. The Monarchs were stacked with good to great defenders at every position and had a very deep bench.

Maybe it'd eventually work out, but we'd become the laughing stock of the NBA next year if that's who the Maloofs hire.

I think Van Gundy and PJ are our best bets.

Bricklayer

BigWaxer said:

Yes that would be lovely. Can't wait to hear the Queens chants busted back out. Right or wrong, until somebody pulls it off in a big way, a WNBA coach is going to carry a major stigma and could have huge problems getting his players' respect.

Bricklayer said:
Yes that would be lovely. Can't wait to hear the Queens chants busted back out. Right or wrong, until somebody pulls it off in a big way, a WNBA coach is going to carry a major stigma and could have huge problems getting his players' respect.
I've got to agree with you there. I love & respect the Monarchs, but I think the last thing the Kings need is a coach from the WNBA. We get enough flack for being soft, being "Queens", etc, and I just don't know how the players would like it. Somehow I don't think Artest would be down with that...

Washington Post -- Ivan Carter: Kings Haven't Asked To Interview Jordan

The Sacramento Kings have not formally contacted the Washington Wizards to request permission to speak with Coach Eddie Jordan about their open coaching position, according to a Wizards team source.

Jordan, who has one season remaining on his contract with the Wizards, was identified as a candidate to replace Rick Adelman in Wednesday's Sacramento Bee. Adelman was fired on Tuesday, and Sacramento owners Joe and Gavin Maloof and President of Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie are compiling a list of candidates.

<snipped Wiz related stuff>

Jordan's name was mentioned in relationship to the Kings job in part because he has a history with the organization. Jordan was an assistant coach with the team for five seasons before taking over as head coach with 15 games left in the 1996-97 season. Jordan was head coach throughout the 1997-98 season and was fired by then-owner Jim Thomas following a 27-55 finish.

Petrie, who has run the Kings' front office since 1994, was not in favor of firing Jordan, according to a league source. The Kings hired Adelman on Sept. 18, 1998, and he coached the team for eight seasons.

<snipped Wiz related stuff>
Link

Bricklayer

Čarolija said:
Brick, I would be interested in your opinion on who should be our coach. I know both of us would have liked Adelman but it wasn't to be.
And therein lies the problem. Nobody out there is really more qualified. All have risks.

Stan Van Gundy could work out, if he's even available.

If they want to bring in a guy like Musselman, its a risk -- he's ultra-intense and with Ron... -- but it could work out.

One of the old guys with rings (Rudy T, Chuck Daly even) would at least keep it rolling, if they still have it in him.

If they really did think they had it in them to get Coach K away from Duke, I could live with that risk. Roughly the only college coach I would say that about.

The former assistants and whatnot - Jordan, Porter, Scott -- are all degrees of uninspiring for a team dreaming title, and would likely lead us nowhere, but it would not be the end of the world, just stupid and shortsighted on the Maloofs part.

Even Nellie would/should guarantee that we remain competitive and in the playoff hunt, but it just likely scuttles your championship hopes.

LOTS of guys that we can hire and hopefully won't be a disaster. But do I have confidence that ANY of them are going to magically lift us up and make us better than we have been? No.

Just don't want us to run off and take some huge risk that could cripple us, whether it be hiring personal friends out of the WNBA, or guys whom Artest would strangle in a week.

I saw bring on Rodman...that would make Artest the happiest person alive (isnt rodman artests rolemodel). Plus i guarantee brad miller would be working his *** off on defense (probably because rodman would threaten to hurt him) if we still have him.

This morning on the Rise Guys Joe said outright that Whisenant is a canidate. He said he has won every where he has been, then went on to say, can he win at the NBA level? I don't know we have to find that out.

I am telling you, something is telling me that this is going to be our new coach. I don't have an opinion on him cause I don't watch the Monarchs or ever seen him coach in college (I believe he was an asst). Maloofs have always been high on him.

BigWaxer said:
This morning on the Rise Guys Joe said outright that Whisenant is a canidate. He said he has won every where he has been, then went on to say, can he win at the NBA level? I don't know we have to find that out.

I am telling you, something is telling me that this is going to be our new coach. I don't have an opinion on him cause I don't watch the Monarchs or ever seen him coach in college (I believe he was an asst). Maloofs have always been high on him.
i'm pretty sure petrie will step in and make sure the interview process includes as many qualified coaches as possible. that is, coaches with nba experience. dumping adelman in favor of whisenant is just silly. if this is the case, my recent review of the maloofs will be up for review in itself, and a whole new set of criticisms will follow...