Keegan Murray

But Jaden Ivey can run fast!
For the love of god give it a rest. It stopped being amusing the 5th time you said it way back in SL.

Ivey is showing a lot of promise, there is literally no need to bring anyone else down (either Ivey himself or the fans who wanted him) to prop Keegan up.

You're better than this.

For the love of god give it a rest. It stopped being amusing the 5th time you said it way back in SL.

Ivey is showing a lot of promise, there is literally no need to bring anyone else down (either Ivey himself or the fans who wanted him) to prop Keegan up.

You're better than this.
Sure, but then you have Slab literally 2 posts up in the thread bringing up Ivey to knock down Keegan's performance. Works both ways.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Sure, but then you have Slab literally 2 posts up in the thread bringing up Ivey to knock down Keegan's performance. Works both ways.
So criticizing Keegan’s rebounding is off limits?

Okay. Benny Mathurin is averaging more rebounds than Keegan. Why is he such a bad rebounder? All I was asking. Seems valid.

Okay. Benny Mathurin is averaging the same amount of rebounds as Keegan. Why is he such a bad rebounder? All I was asking. Seems valid.
Yes he should be getting more rebounds, but he is playing more on the perimeter than in the paint on defense. And it's not like anyone other than Domas is rebounding well for the bigs.

Some Keegan numbers:
11.7 PPG
3.7 RPG
0.9 APG
0.9 SPG
0.6 BPG
41% from 3 on 5.7 Att

57.4% TS
16.6% USG
8.9% TOV
4.2% AST
7.4% TRB

On/Off splits

Offense:
On:118.1
Off:116.1
Net: 2.0

Defense
On: 114.9
Off: 116.7
Net: 1.8

Total Net On/Off: +3.8

In terms of more advanced stuff, it seems like everywhere really likes his defense, but not his offense. Which sort of makes sense since he's basically just providing spacing with almost no creation.

Okay. Benny Mathurin is averaging more rebounds than Keegan. Why is he such a bad rebounder? All I was asking. Seems valid.
Where did I say you can't be critical of Keegan's poor rebounding lol? You're the one who brought Ivey into the conversation for no reason. So if you can do that, then Tetsu should be able to take a jab at Ivey in relation to really good Keegan numbers.

Right?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Where did I say you can't be critical of Keegan's poor rebounding lol? You're the one who brought Ivey into the conversation for no reason. So if you can do that, then Tetsu should be able to take a jab at Ivey in relation to really good Keegan numbers.

Right?
He’s a guard who’s averaging more rebounds. Sure, It happened to be the guy I stanned in draft season. It wasn’t some IVEY IS BETTER point, it was a “Why can’t this dude rebound” point. And I was legitimately wondering. I’ve not been able to watch nearly as much this season and seeing 0 on the board after a bad loss had me asking questions.

Yes he should be getting more rebounds, but he is playing more on the perimeter than in the paint on defense. And it's not like anyone other than Domas is rebounding well for the bigs.
Yeah this probably plays a factor. He's been matched up with guards far more than I ever expected and he's played very little at the 4 this season. Also doesn't help Sabonis has probably been the best rebounder in basketball this year, so not quite as many opportunities.

Also just don't think he has a great nose for the ball off the bounce. He seems to be more reactionary to me when tracking a rebound and lets the offensive rebounder swoop in too much before he can grab it. Didn't see the issue very much in college, but he was also in a better position most of the time to grab the rebound. Maybe just a learning curve of how to be a better rebounder from a perimeter position than a post/big position.

Yes Keegan needs to get stronger, finish stronger at the rim, rebound better, work on his burst and master some basic creation moves.

But to not be excited about a defensively versatile rookie who can shoot on the move at sn elite rate and percentage is nuts.

The Kings got a good player/long term starter with a high bbiq that still has lots of room to improve. He needs to play with more force right now. But that could happen soon - and I hope it does.

Last edited:
But Shaedon Sharpe can jump really really high!

(In all seriousness I like Ivey and Sharpe as players but have still not seen them do any thing that would have me pick them over a 6’9” forward currently on pace to have the best rookie shooting season ever)
Dyson Daniels is also lighting it up with 4/3/2 splits.

Keegan is the right guy for what we need right now. Could Ivey surpass him in a few years? Maybe. Would Keegan look as bad as the aforementioned if the Kings gave him the keys to the kingdom? Also maybe.
We're fortunate that he is playing the role that we've asked to a T. Maybe we ask more of him in the future, but for now, he's exactly what we need to help us be at the position we're at.

You're better than this.
And comparing Keegan to Ivey now is like comparing a full grown tree to a sapling. Ivey is what a what will he become, Keegan is a how much better can he get type of player. That said, Murray is certainly helped a ton by the likes of Fox and Sabonis. As for needs drafting Monte did a solid job. Nearly 88% of Keegans field goals have been assisted compared to 38 for Ivey. Now, part of that is because of how good Keegan is at moving off ball but still.

Dyson Daniels is also lighting it up with 4/3/2 splits.

Keegan is the right guy for what we need right now. Could Ivey surpass him in a few years? Maybe. Would Keegan look as bad as the aforementioned if the Kings gave him the keys to the kingdom? Also maybe.
We're fortunate that he is playing the role that we've asked to a T. Maybe we ask more of him in the future, but for now, he's exactly what we need to help us be at the position we're at.
to be fair, Vecenie said that Daniels has been the best rookie on defense and the Pelicans rely on him as their defensive stopper even over Herb Jones. He will prob be a good player. Your points on Keegan stands however and I fully expect a sophomore leap out of him next year

And comparing Keegan to Ivey now is like comparing a full grown tree to a sapling. Ivey is what a what will he become, Keegan is a how much better can he get type of player. That said, Murray is certainly helped a ton by the likes of Fox and Sabonis. As for needs drafting Monte did a solid job. Nearly 88% of Keegans field goals have been assisted compared to 38 for Ivey. Now, part of that is because of how good Keegan is at moving off ball but still.
I think both players are who we thought they are for the most part. Ivey is a super athlete with potential elite creation and bad defense and around average shooting and Keegan is a sharpshooting wing who has just barely plus defense on the horizon if the right screws are tightened. Something to consider with potential is Ivey turns 21 in 30 days so it’s not like he is teeny bopper or anything. both 2 year college players with a year and a half difference in actual age.

I think both players are who we thought they are for the most part. Ivey is a super athlete with potential elite creation and bad defense and around average shooting and Keegan is a sharpshooting wing who has just barely plus defense on the horizon if the right screws are tightened. Something to consider with potential is Ivey turns 21 in 30 days so it’s not like he is teeny bopper or anything. both 2 year college players with a year and a half difference in actual age.
I liked Murray as a prospect but he's definitely NOT who I thought he'd be in the NBA. In college he shot it well, but he was more of an all-around scorer that worked in the post a fair amount. In the NBA he's been primarily a very effective movement shooter.

It's a different role than I envisioned him playing as a rookie.

I liked Murray as a prospect but he's definitely NOT who I thought he'd be in the NBA. In college he shot it well, but he was more of an all-around scorer that worked in the post a fair amount. In the NBA he's been primarily a very effective movement shooter.

It's a different role than I envisioned him playing as a rookie.
yeh, plenty of the pundits out there wondered if he would be able to get those same post opportunities in the NBA as the game has moved away from that. I expect he will work a bit more of that in if his role increases but right now the three and the cut off Sabonis are the better shots.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yes Keegan needs to get stronger, finish stronger at the rim, rebound better, work on his burst and master some basic creation moves.

But to not be excited about a defensively versatile rookie who can shoot on the move at sn elite rate and percentage is nuts.

The Kings got a good player/long term starter with a high bbiq that still has lots of room to improve. He needs to play with more force right now. But that could happen soon - and I hope it does.
Not for nothing but Keegan apparently finally gets the splint off his hand in a few weeks. I wonder how much that’s been affecting his finishing ability and the one or two rebounds that get slapped out of his hands every game.