Keegan has minor wrist surgery, should heal quickly

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I seem to recall a game last year in college where he had something wrong with that wrist I remember he came out with wrist tape on it after the half but then took it off again. Loose bodies so it's probably a maintenance no biggie might as well get it done now type of deal more than anything.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I don't have a sub to the Bee or peruse it often, but it IS possible that both papers have the story and the poster found it in the Modesto version.
I saw it mentioned on twitter on my phone, but I sat down soon thereafter at my computer to do something and just googled it at that point. The Modesto paper was the first link that had the story; I don't think there were more than one or two results at that point. I don't have a Sacbee subscription either, so I couldn't bring up stories behind a paywall (if it was).

I gotta tell you guys as a new Kings fan from Iowa, the Sac Bee thing is messing me up. In my head I keep going "You guys know that's like a Christian version of The Onion, right?" and then I'm like "Oh wait, no no no nevermind. I'm the idiot."

I have much to learn about the ways of Sacramento. I personally feel the local Des Moines paper is biased toward the ISU Cyclones but reasonable people can disagree about things.
Honestly the SacBee has spent more time recruiting Warrior and Laker writers than Kings writers. So you get what you pay for with them.

Sacbee sports was over after Amick. They had some phenomenal talent but the powers that "bee" went in the wrong direction.

Honestly the SacBee has spent more time recruiting Warrior and Laker writers than Kings writers. So you get what you pay for with them.

Sacbee sports was over after Amick. They had some phenomenal talent but the powers that "bee" went in the wrong direction.
I simply do not understand the majority of this comment. What do you mean "recruiting Warrior and Laker writers (over) Kings writers." Like, do you mean writers who worked on the Warriors and Lakers beats before coming to Sacramento? Or do you mean writers who are Lakers and Warriors fans, instead of Kings fans? Or a third option I'm just not following. Because if it's either of the first two, that's really not how the industry works.

Point of fact, the Bee hasn't been in a position to recruit much of anybody for years. No one who is established in LA or the Bay covering pro sports is going to take a professional step backward to move to Sacramento and cover the "longest playoff drought in league history" Kings for a publishing company that already filed for bankruptcy and was forced to sell ownership of its own building at a print newspaper that's been jettisoning staff since at least 2006.

And quite actually, from what I can gather, the Bee sports department only has two writers on its staff at this point: Joe Davidson, who's been there since 1988, and Cameron Salerno, who recently graduated from Sac State and got his start as an intern is Roseville. That's about as "local" as you can get.

Otherwise the stories you see are either from freelancers or news services to fill print space ... because that's all the Bee can afford. And in that regard, what's out there are Warriors and Lakers stories, because no one else is writing about the Kings. That might be where you're getting "recruiting Warrior and Laker writers" - but those aren't staff writers. The Bee probably shelled out $100 or so for those bylines, and slapped them on the page to have a section covered with sports words and pictures to appear like a fully staffed department.

Imagine the sports office is something akin to a post-nuclear ghost town now, and the atom bomb was the Internet.

Sam leaving was the point when the levee started to break. Not as the cause, but a symptom.

I simply do not understand the majority of this comment. What do you mean "recruiting Warrior and Laker writers (over) Kings writers." Like, do you mean writers who worked on the Warriors and Lakers beats before coming to Sacramento? Or do you mean writers who are Lakers and Warriors fans, instead of Kings fans? Or a third option I'm just not following. Because if it's either of the first two, that's really not how the industry works.

Point of fact, the Bee hasn't been in a position to recruit much of anybody for years. No one who is established in LA or the Bay covering pro sports is going to take a professional step backward to move to Sacramento and cover the "longest playoff drought in league history" Kings for a publishing company that already filed for bankruptcy and was forced to sell ownership of its own building at a print newspaper that's been jettisoning staff since at least 2006.

And quite actually, from what I can gather, the Bee sports department only has two writers on its staff at this point: Joe Davidson, who's been there since 1988, and Cameron Salerno, who recently graduated from Sac State and got his start as an intern is Roseville. That's about as "local" as you can get.

Otherwise the stories you see are either from freelancers or news services to fill print space ... because that's all the Bee can afford. And in that regard, what's out there are Warriors and Lakers stories, because no one else is writing about the Kings. That might be where you're getting "recruiting Warrior and Laker writers" - but those aren't staff writers. The Bee probably shelled out $100 or so for those bylines, and slapped them on the page to have a section covered with sports words and pictures to appear like a fully staffed department.

Imagine the sports office is something akin to a post-nuclear ghost town now, and the atom bomb was the Internet.

Sam leaving was the point when the levee started to break. Not as the cause, but a symptom.
I liked it but I was a Sacramento Union fan
And it died well before. Thriving local papers that didn't just parrot the talking points of the major media heads is a major treasure that we lost.

Jason Anderson is actually the main beat writer and some of the Kings herald guys do freelance articles for the bee.

Jason Anderson is actually the main beat writer and some of the Kings herald guys do freelance articles for the bee.
To expand on that, Jason Anderson is a Laker fan and at the point he was hired was the downfall of local coverage.

I said what I said, and I mean it. Like was pointed out, losing Kreidler and Amick was the end of Sac Sports coverage by the Bee especially local coverage, Monty Mac tried his best but CalHi hoops was done, any local coverage was done, and the SacBee let go of all its good writers and didn't take advantage of an online presence and online advertising. So now it has articles behind a pay wall and lost/mismanaged its best writers, writers with talent and connections.

The SacBee completely screwed up the information age (I know this cuz I wrote a paper for a class about it recently) and let go of local talent it had in its pocket even leading up to the switch h to digital media.

The McClatchy family had to sell because none of the offspring showed any business acumen, a whole bunch of yes idiots with paid for educations. It's a case study for what happens when smart people work hard and achieve something and manage it properly, and the subsequent generations fail to approach the level of Grandpa.

To expand on that, Jason Anderson is a Laker fan and at the point he was hired was the downfall of local coverage.

I said what I said, and I mean it. Like was pointed out, losing Kreidler and Amick was the end of Sac Sports coverage by the Bee especially local coverage, Monty Mac tried his best but CalHi hoops was done, any local coverage was done, and the SacBee let go of all its good writers and didn't take advantage of an online presence and online advertising. So now it has articles behind a pay wall and lost/mismanaged its best writers, writers with talent and connections.

The SacBee completely screwed up the information age (I know this cuz I wrote a paper for a class about it recently) and let go of local talent it had in its pocket even leading up to the switch h to digital media.

The McClatchy family had to sell because none of the offspring showed any business acumen, a whole bunch of yes idiots with paid for educations. It's a case study for what happens when smart people work hard and achieve something and manage it properly, and the subsequent generations fail to approach the level of Grandpa.
I would actually like to see your paper. I have had a lot of connections with the Bee over the years. Your analysis sounds correct.

The fandom of a reporter should be irrelevant, as long as he/she does the job in reporting the news. I'd just as much like to have someone who grow up as a lakers fan as a die-hard kings fan as the beat reporter. The job isn't to be a cheerleader for the team (there are plenty of forums, fansites and podcasts that do that nowadays), or to be unfairly critical. I don't really like Anderson much, for the little I actually pay attention to the bee, but I don't see him as an unfair biased Lakers fan. I just see him as a so-so reporter who likely has an edict from his boss to drive clicks with somewhat sensational stories. Jason Jones was more of a die-hard lakers fan, but marginally better (when he actually made an effort).

The fandom of a reporter should be irrelevant, as long as he/she does the job in reporting the news. I'd just as much like to have someone who grow up as a lakers fan as a die-hard kings fan as the beat reporter. The job isn't to be a cheerleader for the team (there are plenty of forums, fansites and podcasts that do that nowadays), or to be unfairly critical. I don't really like Anderson much, for the little I actually pay attention to the bee, but I don't see him as an unfair biased Lakers fan. I just see him as a so-so reporter who likely has an edict from his boss to drive clicks with somewhat sensational stories. Jason Jones was more of a die-hard lakers fan, but marginally better (when he actually made an effort).
I liked Jason Jones so much better tho, I think Jones did a good job and after a time he stopped looking down on the Kings and their fans so much and started to actually belong in the community.

Can't say I feel anything similar for Anderson.