Kara Update

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Still JD said:
Kara will provide commentary for the WNBA Draft tomorrow: (and here I had totally fogotten about the draft, probably since we are not high on the list). Anyway, here's the link.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3105353&l_id=&t_id=

Also, Kara was with Koz for the pre-game and post-game on the Kings-Minn. game last night. I thought she did a great job.

I guess this means she is not playing overseas in the off-season.
And, herein lies the problem with Kara's drop-off from the previous year. This is the 2nd year she has spent the off-season playing commentator instead of playing basketball. I can see the time off for someone who has played for several years and needs the break. But, Kara is young and only 1 1/2 years removed from her college playing days. She needs to decide whether she wants basketball or commentating. AFAIC, she'll have plenty of time for commentating after her playing days are over. She needs more professional experience on the court. Being behind a microphone isn't getting that.

6th said:
And, herein lies the problem with Kara's drop-off from the previous year. This is the 2nd year she has spent the off-season playing commentator instead of playing basketball. I can see the time off for someone who has played for several years and needs the break. But, Kara is young and only 1 1/2 years removed from her college playing days. She needs to decide whether she wants basketball or commentating. AFAIC, she'll have plenty of time for commentating after her playing days are over. She needs more professional experience on the court. Being behind a microphone isn't getting that.
Normally I would agree that because she is so young, she should work at developing her game. But she is so darn good behind the microphone, she probably felt that she could not turn the opportunity down. SHE IS THAT GOOD!! I don't think she had much of a drop off in her game from year one to year two. In fact I thought down the stretch, she had more energy than most if not all of her teammates.

I think Kara Lawson should continue to develop her broadcasting career, because in the long run, she will probably make more money doing that than coming off the bench with the Monarchs. Besides I am sure she is utilizing that beautiful practice facility at Maloof University.

Well, I feel like I need to weigh in on this..... I read all of the Kara- bashing posts during last season, and was quiet. But, someone needs to defend Kara, and it might as well be me. Personally, I would rather have her stay stateside-- rested, relaxed and healthy-- than go overseas and and up injured. It is a well known fact that she has a bad back since her freshman year at Tennessee.

If ya'll are worried about her conditioning, I am sure that she is continuing her workout regimen when she is off camera-- I doubt she is sitting at home eating bonbons. She is too disciplined for that. Besides, as she said, she needs to keep up with Ruthie.

I have also studied Kara's stats very closely, and while some of the numbers are a bit lower-- I don't see evidence of a major "dropoff." Regular season, from 2003 to 2004-- FG%, FT%, Ast, Stl, Blks, and PPG all improved. She was the third leading scorer on the team, and that was (mostly) off the bench. So the 3PT% was down-- she was still the biggest threat from the perimeter as far as other teams were concerned, given the double teams she faced every time she touched the ball. You can bet her name was in everyone's scouting report. Besides, from 54-135 3PM-A to 51-134 3PM-A isn't that much of a decline and at least shows consistency. And in the playoffs, she just exploded this year. All of her shooting percentages were way up and her PPG went from 5.3 to 9.7. Playoff PPG was 1.1 higher than the regular season!

Now, just because I'm jocking her a little, don't think I am blind to KLaw's mistakes-- believe me, I see them all. But I also think it is important to point out that while it may have seemed like she was on the decline, the numbers really don't bear out the "sophomore slump" everyone implies.

Ok, everyone........ it's time for you to disagree with me. That's ok. Not the first time that's happened.

(P.S. Thanks Purple Reign for hopping in before I got my post finished!!)

Last edited:
I don't remember a lotta Kara bashing, unless noting something critical qualifies as bashing...::shrugging shoulders:: I have zero problem with Kara staying stateside and not playing competitively. I concur that her injury(ies?) rather than her decision to study for the LSATs and commentate for ESPN played the biggest role in her lack of consistent production in the first half of the season. That AND her trying to settle into more of a starting role while Edna went in and out of the lineup with her injuries. I trust Kara more than any other athlete around to dedicate herself to keeping herself condition and her shooting touch up during the time she's off. And anything she can do to not injury herself in the offseason? I'm all for it. She's got that marvelous training facility at her disposal as well so I don't doubt she's slacking on any work.

Ticha's played overseas every year she's been here and we still aren't seeing any (ok...maybe I should say "much") noted improvement in her offensive game. So to each their own.

Monty'sBiggestFan said:
Ticha's played overseas every year she's been here and we still aren't seeing any (ok...maybe I should say "much") noted improvement in her offensive game. So to each their own.
Straight Up!! If anybody needs to be staying home is Ticha. But you can not be mad at any of the WNBA players going overseas to earn a living. But if you have an opportunity to stay home, stay home. I don't think that Lisa Leslie has ever gone overseas and she is a multiple time MVP unfortunately:mad: . Besides if you have watched Kara on the Kings Pre and Post game, you would feel like i do, the girl has skills. i don't think she will ever have to go play overseas unless she wants to, her future is that bright in broadcasting.

Nice article in the Bee on Kara: http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/11754735p-12639644c.html

From the article...

Just in case you're worried about her staying in shape:

"Lawson stays busy with four hours of workouts each day in addition to her full-time Kings broadcasting job."

A synopsis of her teammates:

"Forward DeMya Walker's 21.6 points and 10.9 rebounds have paced the Beijing Shougang to a 7-4 mark in China. With 16.4 points a game, forward/center Tangela Smith has Wilsa Can-Pack in Poland off to a 4-1 start. After a stellar rookie season in Sacramento, Rebekkah Brunson is averaging 17 points and 11 rebounds for 7-1 Dexia Namur in Belgium. In France, point guard Ticha Penicheiro (6.2 assists per game) and center Chantelle Anderson (averaging 12 points and 6.4 rebounds) have led Valenciennes to a 10-3 record."

Sounds like most of the Monarchs are having a productive off-season.