Joerger Status. (He’s Fired)

Please answer the original issue: if what Dave has done in Memphis and here doesn't qualify him as being described as a proven winning coach, then what would qualify an NBA coach for that description?

Now, what available coaches meet those requirements?
If you want to go with those requirements then George Karl would qualify. You can’t say just go by if a coach wins are not. There is a lot factors in play what makes a great coach.

It seems you have a beat on Messina as a coach.

Do you know what type of coach he is? Is he a players coach or a hard ass? Would he be able to connect to this young team? Is he uptempo or half court? I hear is he an excellent X and O's coach.

Two words for ya! PICK and ROLL! A bit of a hard ass though I think. Remember that Jazz game, the one where you watched a Jazz system that the Kings should be using? Well, their head coach is a former assistant to Ettore Messina.

Everyone knows Messina is a hard ass. He's a typical European coach and while not everyone was a fan of it, but he brought results there.
https://www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com/ettore-messina-zone-offense/

Here's an article from 2015 on Messina (1 year into his assistant job in the NBA) https://www.denverstiffs.com/2015/3/11/8189423/coachs-resume-a-look-at-ettore-messina
If that is the case with Messina, I don't think being a hard ass would mesh with the young core.

If he plays a slow it down brand of basketball, that is opposite of what Vlade envisioned for this team. I think Vlade wants the team to run. I would be surprised if he was chosen as the next coach, if that is his forte.

It has nothing to do with what Shump was doing as a player and more to do with:
-maturity (or lackthereof) of the rest of the team dealing with such a move
-mistakes made by coaching in using the talent they had
-Barnes being utter trash on offense for much of the remainder of the season

All of those things are negated if the trade isn't made. I'm not blaming Vlade, just responding to the post about the coach. He deserves blame. The players deserve blame. Vlade deserves blame. So I don't get why the coach gets fired which is 1/3 of the parties who are to blame.
Because thats NOT the biggest reason he was fired.

Predictably, the Nat’l media sharks are out in full force stating that these firings reek of organizational dysfunction. Of course what they don’t want to realize is these moves are to ‘clean up’ the dysfunction.

I have no doubt that the firing of Williams and Joerger is Vlade’s way of showing that discord, in fighting, leaks and power struggles simply won’t be tolerated. At all. If an employee of his displays this type of behavior, they’ll be gone.

As good a coach as DJ might be or as good a job as he might have done, he wasn’t exempt. There were numerous things that happened behind the scenes, some of which we know about and some we don’t.

I still contend that his on court admonishment of Buddy Hield and the look of it around the league was yet another factor.
Id put my money here as the majority of the why Joeger was axed

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If you connect the dots from the Napear show and Vlade's presser, Vlade didn't think Joerger believed in some of the players like he wanted him to. Namely, Bagley, Giles and Buddy. One caller read the Jones article to Grant and Doug and they didn't disagree; they didn't even disagree about Joerger wanting Doncic over Bagley, which was a surprise to me. Moreover, Vlade said in the presser that he wanted a coach who believed in the players, believed in the team. You don't say the obvious unless your coach lacks those attributes, at least that's my take. Lastly, Grant said there was no way Vlade would have let Joerger go if the players really liked him and wanted him to stay.

It seems you have a beat on Messina as a coach.

Do you know what type of coach he is? Is he a players coach or a hard ass? Would he be able to connect to this young team? Is he uptempo or half court? I hear is he an excellent X and O's coach.
He is the type of coach who's been very successful with many different types of teams and he is a potential game-changer, he is also definitely smart enough not to get roped into some lame-duck job... one might even say it appears he's been waiting for the right landing place.. He is WAAAAAAAAY overqualified to be an assistant...

the fact he wants this job is to me a good sign... If he would have success here it's something that would be noticed by the world-wide basketball community as a major breakthru.

The Kings are a fast break team, there is no slowing this team down at-all.... That is set in stone..

The thing that would be the most interesting to watch would be what he does with Marvin..He could pay off in spades here if he can help Marvin do his thing more efficently...

I saw that Real Madrid team play 2times when It was said that Nikola Mirotic was the best player in the world outside of the NBA, he knows what he's doing.. Mirotic was a machine back then, still is.. tHere is no lucking into the resume he had put together if u look at it..

Giles... Willie.. I'd think he'd do an excellent job with Bjelly too. Our bigs are already trusted with the ball alot which I'd think would help him right away.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm not sure this was the best decision, mostly because I don't know what the plan is for Coach Joerger's replacement. I wasn't enormously happy with Coach Joerger because of the lack of growth on defense this season and somebody needed to answer for what happened after the All-Star break but I'm also afraid we may have fired a coach who is pretty good only to discover that the coaches available aren't any better and many of them are probably significantly worse. I guess the bridges were already burned behind the scenes though.

Without having put any time at all into exploring the market, my instinct right now is to say "Spurs assistant coach or bust". Tom Thibodeau and Stan Van Gundy's last gigs were disasters. College coaches don't have a very good track record in the NBA (Brad Stevens excepted -- and his luster has started to fade a little this season). Promoting one of Dave's assistants is a non-starter for obvious reasons. I think Mike Woodson is underrated but he's just a lateral move from Joerger. Doug Christie has no coaching experience. Picking up another recently fired coach (if, say, Scott Brooks or Luke Walton get axed) would be frustrating and uninspiring.

something tells me Luke Walton
The only thing about Walton is his offensive system is fairly similar to what Dave Joerger was running anyway, and if hired it would mean Vlade is determined to run high post offense. He runs a lot of horns sets so that would certainly bring PTSD from last year.

The only thing about Walton is his offensive system is fairly similar to what Dave Joerger was running anyway, and if hired it would mean Vlade is determined to run high post offense. He runs a lot of horns sets so that would certainly bring PTSD from last year.
If we got Walton then kicked the crap out of the Lakers for years, with De'Aaron constantly torching Lonzo, that is obviously the funniest scenario...

Without having put any time at all into exploring the market, my instinct right now is to say "Spurs assistant coach or bust".

If we got Walton then kicked the crap out of the Lakers for years, with De'Aaron constantly torching Lonzo, that is obviously the funniest scenario...

True but the problem is Fox in horn sets makes it unlikely to happen. The Kings ran that in his rookie year and it was so bad that people convinced themselves he was a complete bust. It was bad. Like literally no Kings player in the ESPN 100 this year bad.

If you connect the dots from the Napear show and Vlade's presser, Vlade didn't think Joerger believed in some of the players like he wanted him to. Namely, Bagley, Giles and Buddy. One caller read the Jones article to Grant and Doug and they didn't disagree; they didn't even disagree about Joerger wanting Doncic over Bagley, which was a surprise to me. Moreover, Vlade said in the presser that he wanted a coach who believed in the players, believed in the team. You don't say the obvious unless your coach lacks those attributes, at least that's my take. Lastly, Grant said there was no way Vlade would have let Joerger go if the players really liked him and wanted him to stay.
I kind of think that, given Dave’s very dry sense of humor, that “next Westbrook & Durant” comment was a cynical shot at the FO.

True but the problem is Fox in horn sets makes it unlikely to happen. The Kings ran that in his rookie year and it was so bad that people convinced themselves he was a complete bust. It was bad. Like literally no Kings player in the ESPN 100 this year bad.
We can do better than Luke I think. He'd be a decent fallback option.

I kind of think that, given Dave’s very dry sense of humor, that “next Westbrook & Durant” comment was a cynical shot at the FO.
YES!! Those comments about Luka at the time were played off as a misunderstanding, and to some extent they probably were; however, in retrospect, that looks to be another one of Dave's passive aggressive statements in the media. I don't doubt that Dave really loved the potential of Marvin; however, seems like he was probably always going to be the type to take little shots about decisions he disagreed with. Petty statements here or there in the media. Keeping Marvin on the bench all year. Not playing Yogi at the start of the year. Feels like a lot of stupid things that he was holding onto in some little power struggle with the front office.

I disagree that Fox running that would be bad. Can’t compare year 1 Fox with year 2 Fox year 3 Fox etc.

I am kind of surprised. A month ago I thought there was no way Joerger would be gone before his last contractual year but the odds went up as the Kings bumbled their way though the final third of the season.

I had come to the firm conviction that while Joerger is a good coach...he isn’t a great coach and many coaches wouldn’t survive the type of collapses the Kings have had since the all star break

Vlade, like me, thought the Kings were better than what they ultimately finished as. This isn’t a 39 win team. They are better. What you thought in August doesn’t matter in April after watching every game. Kings underachieved spectacularly pst the all star break even if the number they finished with is above offseason expectations. Some of it was fatal flaws on our roster but I feel a lot of it was how the roster was managed.

Vlade went out and got Harrison Barnes. Our small forward and he was promptly played out of position while depleting our bench by putting Bogdan in the starting lineup and not playing Bjeli while Bagley was out. That stretch is what ruined the Kings season. That stretch is probably what did him in even before the Brooklyn collapse, let’s not forget blowing two different second half leads of 17 in Boston, or those two priceless games against the Pelicans G league team. Vlade thought he was filling voids but all Dave did was subtract Bjelica out of it and made the team less deep when the Kings thought they were getting deeper. I also think Alec Burks was wasted. Guy played well everywhere but couldn’t even get in the game over Corey Brewer in 2019? Give me a break. In the event he did play, the only way he would touch the ball is if he stole it from the other team.

Joergers rotations seem completely automated. Set in a mode before the season started and left alone until he found somebody he wanted to play out of position. Flow of the game, importance of game, time of year or urgency never figured into who was coming in or out. How many times did the Kings lose a cushion or fall out of the game completely while opponents have their best players on the floor while Joerger is trying to keep Fox and Buddy out until the last few minutes of the game? Our guys would leave and then come back Into a completely different game.

Kings offense was incoherent. That is why a team that ran so much seemingly didn’t score that easy. Not enough pick and rolls. Whatever Buddy got he had to get by himself or his defender leaving him. I remember Kings used to screen to get Peja open but maybe that’s just antiquated. No go to moves. Never ride the hot hand. They were inefficient and then the reveal of the zone defense really exposed that the Kings were just freestyling the entire year and Joerger hadn’t been building a coherent offensive identity that would evolve into the “next step”

Anyway, Kings are deciding to get rid of Joerger maybe a year too early than finding out that they waited a year too late. He wasn’t going to be the guy to mold a contender. He was brought in to coach a veteran team and salvage the Boogie era. That is what Dave needs and what Dave wants. A veteran group. I think the “super team, just young” have gotten what they can from Dave.

I do think Dave’s polarizing “earn it” approach will be something that will be looked at as a positive influence and a big boost to the culture going forward.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
LOL, Cue the same old complaints about some other center if WCS is not here next year. WCS can put in 56% of his shots into the basket and grab almost 9 rebounds a game somewhere else, cause, you know, stats are not real!
stats also don't tell us what the eye test does but to each their own

I disagree that Fox running that would be bad. Can’t compare year 1 Fox with year 2 Fox year 3 Fox etc.

Yeah you can. They ran the same set this year in preseason until Elston got the chair for one game and the team never looked back. Fox was already looking totally inconsistent. He should be better in most sets as he progresses but spacing is key and sticking bigs at the bookends of what should be HIS lane makes zero sense.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah you can. They ran the same set this year in preseason until Elston got the chair for one game and the team never looked back. Fox was already looking totally inconsistent. He should be better in most sets as he progresses but spacing is key and sticking bigs at the bookends of what should be HIS lane makes zero sense.
Seriously one of the more appealing options I've been running through my mind is promoting Elston to head coach. The man has been one of the top assistant coaches in the league for over two decades now, is thoroughly connected with Vlade, Peja, et al. and would provide some sort of continuity with the previous system without the passive aggressivity of another season of Joerger.

Seriously one of the more appealing options I've been running through my mind is promoting Elston to head coach. The man has been one of the top assistant coaches in the league for over two decades now, is thoroughly connected with Vlade, Peja, et al. and would provide some sort of continuity with the previous system without the passive aggressivity of another season of Joerger.
I wouldn't be mad at Elston Turner. I do think it's overdue that he gets his shot though.

I hope he gets a shot if he even wants it. Sometimes assistants don't want to step on those toes. If the intention was to hire Elston I would think his promotion would have been announced as soon as they fired Joerger. It sounds like some of the assistants might hang on, which isn't atypical, but would Elston take a demotion if another HC were hired? Time will tell.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I wouldn't be mad at Elston Turner. I do think it's overdue that he gets his shot though.
Nothing about him has ever screamed "not head coaching material" to me and I find it weird that he's never gotten a shot. I know Rick Adelman was pushing HARD for us to hire Elston when he got fired by the Maloofs

Cool, except they've been on a steady decline since he left with the same core.
Not the same core at all. At Memphis’ best, Zach Randolph was a 20-10 guy and Tony Allen was the most vaunted defender in the NBA. Also, Gasol and Conley were in their 20’s and in their primes. Joerger coached them for pretty much their last push before their window closed. They werent going to be the same without prime Z-Bo or Allen.