JJackson, Zbo to Dallas for Harrison Barnes

The cap space thing I'm thinking.
Because Sacramento is FA central.

Seriously, if nothing else, if this deal doesn't work out, then we can move Barnes at next year's deadline for another bad contract and a pick or something.

On the other hand, we actually have a legit starting quality player at our biggest hole, and he's only expected to maybe be the 4th option.

Yeah, like we are the Lakers or Knicks. They need to have more of a nuanced understanding than that...chumps.
I do find it sad that the media plasters the Lakers as willing to give up their entire squad supposedly. In some ways I would've been happy if the Kings left well-enough alone with the team with trades. They had earned their way to better than .500 for 2/3rds of the season with the current roster. Now we'll never know....

Reading the tea leaves, it seems like maybe Vlade is hoping he can get Barnes to opt out then lock him in longer, but for a lower AAV. Maybe a 3/60 or 4/75 declining? Team option in year 4? IDK

But they get to test run him for 30 games or so.
Making the playoffs will be a big part of the results to measure off of........

Reading the tea leaves, it seems like maybe Vlade is hoping he can get Barnes to opt out then lock him in longer, but for a lower AAV. Maybe a 3/60 or 4/75 declining? Team option in year 4? IDK

But they get to test run him for 30 games or so.
Test him, but also impress him enough to want to sign a long term deal and stay.

Dallas doesn't exactly have a stellar record attracting marquee talent despite all their supposed advantages, they usually get the 2nd or 3rd pick of the litter (ie the guys that the Kings try to shoot for), and they almost always overpay. And while Luka and Porzingis are nice players I haven't been reading about players that can't wait to join up with them to relive their college glory or Olympic summer. Vucevic is supposedly in their sites, so maybe they will try to build the all Euro team.
This is a fair point.

I have to say, I can see Vučević becoming Kings main target in free agency. He fits pretty well especially if Bagley keeps improving as a shot blocker back there and as expected he becomes a starter next season. Vučević is a skilled big who can stretch the floor, rebounds well and can pass the ball. I can definitely see us making that move in summer.

Is anybody else concerned that HB didn't seem to happy about being dealt and hung out on the Mavs bench til the game was over and looked solemn while walking to the locker room after?

Hopefully he gets over it and fits in with his new team. But if he opts out and bails at the end of the season, it'd be a bad look. But then again the KINGS would gain 25M+ in cap space, so not the worst thing in the world.

I have to say, I can see Vučević becoming Kings main target in free agency. He fits pretty well especially if Bagley keeps improving as a shot blocker back there and as expected he becomes a starter next season. Vučević is a skilled big who can stretch the floor, rebounds well and can pass the ball. I can definitely see us making that move in summer.
I've been lobbying for Vuc for a few weeks now. But if HB opts in to his 25M+, could the KINGS afford to make an offer to him? Unless they cleared more room somehow, I read that they'll only have around 21M in cap space.

I mean, this doesn't really prevent us from going after the role player fish this off-season either. Barring what happens at the deadline here and what we do with WCS, we'll still have plenty of money on the boat to get a couple really nice pieces this off-season or absorb somebody:

Barnes- $25 mil
Bogdan- $8.5 mil
Bagley- $8.5 mil
Bjelica- $6.8 mil
Fox- $6.3 mil
Buddy- $4.8 mil
Giles- $2.5 mil
Skal- $2.3 mil

=$65.1mil guaranteed Salary

Mason- $1.6mil (non-Guaranteed)
Yogi- $3.1 mil (non-Guranteed)

WCS- $14.09 mil cap hit.

So even if WCS comes back at $15mil a year (bleh), that'll bring us to $80mil in guaranteed salary with the salary cap at $109 mil. Or if we found something for WCS where we didnt take money back, we could get to $38.9 mil in cap room renouncing both Mason and Yogi as well

Last edited:
Yeah, like we are the Lakers or Knicks. They need to have more of a nuanced understanding than that...chumps.
Why do you mention the Knicks? When have they become a FA destination? Every year people talk about NY and every year players bypass going there and they've sucked for how many years now?

BTW to all the naysayers regarding the KINGS and FA need to realize that in the past there was no new arena and the team wasn't any good. But when you have good players, a good coach, a bright future, a style of play that players love and a shiny new facility with a booming downtown -- the narrative can change. I'm not saying that means KD or Kawhi is coming to SAC because of all that (NO!), but rather than it puts us on the map in a way the city/franchise wasn't before.

I'll bet anyone that once the KINGS really start winning -- say 50+ games and advancing in the postseason -- they will land some really good FA's. None of this past history crap will matter.

Last edited:
This is a fair point.

I think they have their eyes set on Mirotic, he will be a RFA in the offseason

Good trade for Sacramento. We gave a player who's not in the rotation and a solid backup role player for a guy who was the leading scorer for the Mavs in past 2 seasons and who's going to upgrade our starting lineup instead of Shump. Plus he's only like 26 years old, so if we manage to keep him after this season, I think this is a perfect move.

LeBron needs to STFU. No it is not the best way to be traded but you get paid 25M to play a game you love, these are the somewhat unfortunate tradeoffs 99.99% of us would be willing to make. It is a false narrative too that fans side with the team over the player when the player wants to leave. I don't see Anthony Davis being excoriated for his desire to leave the Pelicans, it is the manipulation of the agent to try to force a trade to unite with another one of h
Is anybody else concerned that HB didn't seem to happy about being dealt and hung out on the Mavs bench til the game was over and looked solemn while walking to the locker room after?

Hopefully he gets over it and fits in with his new team. But if he opts out and bails at the end of the season, it'd be a bad look. But then again the KINGS would gain 25M+ in cap space, so not the worst thing in the world.
No. His would be a normal and respectful response to the circumstance.

Would you rather he openly celebrate being traded right in front of the bench? Now that would concern me.

Why do you mention the Knicks? When have they become a FA destination? Every year people talk about NY and every year players bypass going there and they've sucked for how many years now?

BTW to all the naysayers regarding the KINGS and FA need to realize that in the past there was no new arena and the team wasn't any good. But when you have good players, a good coach, a bright future, a style of play that players love and a shiny new facility with a booming downtown -- the narrative can change. I'm not saying that means KD or Kawhi is coming to SAC because of all that (NO!), but rather than it puts us on the map in a way the city/franchise wasn't before.

I'll bet anyone that once the KINGS really start winning -- say 50+ games and advancing in the postseason -- they will land some really good FA's. None of this past history crap will matter.
I understand what you’re saying, but come on. NY is a different league and there is a reason their franchise is valued at 4 billion. Come back at me after this off season and blast me if the Knicks don’t sigh at least one top level FA.

The next time the kings get a top tier free agent will be the first. It’s just not going to happen and you can’t count on it. Solid B or C level free agent signings when they are playing well? Sure. We saw that happen 20 years ago the last time we were playing well.

Cap space is worthless if you don't use it. we just used it and could actually still sign a max in the offseason lol.
Well, the Kings will probably be going after Stein, though not for max money. It'll depend on another team coming in and bidding or not. Financially It was a smart trade in that if Barnes performance goes south, the Kings only overpay for only 1 season.. It comes down to the players getting paid too much in general. Divac said he wasn't finished, so wondering about Gasol. Changing team chemistry dramatically in the middle of the season is dicey though. Players take time to know each others tendencies and develop strategies.