JJackson, Zbo to Dallas for Harrison Barnes

Just went over to a Mavericks board to do a little investigating. Seems they all thought he was a great guy, class act, active in the community. Definitely the kind of guy we want to be a part of this.
They also were happy to be rid of him, his contract and his mediocre play too. So there's that...

But again, new team, new Barnes. Hopefully.

The team needed a real SF.

I'm just not a fan of Barnes. It also cost JJ. Jackson isn't vital, but what happened is that the Kings still only have one legit SF. They just upgraded the one SF they had.

And I wonder where Barnes is mentally. As I've said, no team has been sad to lose him. I can't think of an important Barnes play or anything memorable about him. How much will he cost long term?

Barnes' per36 min Stats and Impact Stats:

1549512282000.png

Barnes' Combine Measurements:
Height w/o Shoes: 6'7"
Height w/ Shoes: 6'8"
Wingspan: 6'11.25"
Standing Reach: 8'5.5"
Weight: 227.8 lbs

His stats leave a lot to be desired for someone making as much as he does. Luckily he's expiring in 1.5 years. We would be screwed if we traded for Wiggins.

Interesting enough, his measurements are pretty small. Bogdanovic's standing reach is 8'8" & Hield's standing reach is 8'5". But our new "full-sized" SF is only at 8'5.5". Bogdanovic's wingspan is 6'11" vs. Barnes' wingspan at 6'11.25". The thing I will concede is his weight (227.8 lbs) and strength are certainly good enough for SF (15 reps on bench press) and his vertical helps with his lack of reach (38" standing vertical which is the best in the last 11 drafts).

Officially 10 deep
What is the minute distribution while being 10 deep? I'm struggling to see a way to keep both Ferrell & Burks in the rotation.

PG - Fox (32 min) / Ferrell (16 min)
SG - Hield (32 min) / Bogdanovic (16 min)
SF - Barnes (32 min) / Bogdanovic (16 min)
PF - Bjelica (24 min) / Giles (20 min) / Bagley (4 min)
C - Cauley-Stein (28 min) / Bagley (20 min)

or

PG - Fox (32 min) / Burks (16 min)
SG - Hield (32 min) / Burks (8 min) / Bogdanovic (8 min)
SF - Barnes (28 min) / Bogdanovic (20 min)

Interesting enough, his measurements are pretty small. Bogdanovic's standing reach is 8'8" & Hield's standing reach is 8'5". But our new "full-sized" SF is only at 8'5.5". Bogdanovic's wingspan is 6'11" vs. Barnes' wingspan at 6'11.25". The thing I will concede is his weight (227.8 lbs) and strength are certainly good enough for SF (15 reps on bench press) and his vertical helps with his lack of reach (38" standing vertical which is the best in the last 11 drafts).
His standing reach is surprising. I always thought his ability to play the 4 with the original Warrios death lineup is what made him so great. Now the measurements show he is built like an average swingman...
But his play kind of speaks for itself, and he's made a living as a combo forward, so I'm still excited.

They also were happy to be rid of him, his contract and his mediocre play too. So there's that...

But again, new team, new Barnes. Hopefully.
He’s a high end complimentary player that got paid over value when the salary cap exploded a couple years ago. On a playoff team he should be the 4th, maaaaybe 3rd option. That’s exactly what we need him to be. He’s gonna play 30 minutes a game and give us 15 points, on pretty good but not GREAT shooting. Acceptable rebounding and defense from the SF position.

What is the minute distribution while being 10 deep? I'm struggling to see a way to keep both Ferrell & Burks in the rotation.

or

I would hope that the Kings play Barnes quite a bit at the 4. They have the tools to play small now. Burks can play 1-3, Barnes 3-4, and Bogdan 1-3.

or

Fox 32 Yogi 16
Buddy 32 Bogi 16
Barnes 24 Bogi 12 Burke 12
Belly 20 Bagley 20 Barnes 8
WCS 28 Bagley 8 Giles 12

32 Fox Buddy Barnes
28 WCS Bagley Bogi
20 Belly
16 Yogi
12 Giles Burke

Enough minutes for everyone to get run, but depth to keep guys hungry with healthy competition. There are going to be injuries, foul trouble, off nights and back to backs.

It's up to Giles to get more playing time during the playoff fight, and if he's up for it, that's a good thing.

or

I don’t know. Burks won’t get PF minutes like JJ got so he’ll likely cut into Yogi’s minutes if he’s going to hit 18-20 minutes or so.

Not a terrible problem to have.

Just went over to a Mavericks board to do a little investigating. Seems they all thought he was a great guy, class act, active in the community. Definitely the kind of guy we want to be a part of this.
I like that since we're giving up a guy like that in jj.

While Barnes takes up all the remaining cap space this year, and will likely opt in next year (doubt anyone is looking to pay him $25M), the Kings still have ~$26-$27M in expiring contracts (KK, BMac, WCS, Burke, and $2.5M from Pappagiannis). Some of that will likely be wrapped into signing, but with the salary cap going up by $8M to $109M, the kings (currently have ~$62-$63M in salary signed through 2019-2020) will have plenty of cash to jump into the FA game ($46-$47M).

The good thing about the Burke trade is it solidifies 3 potential playmakers/scorers for the 2nd unit (Yogi, Bogi and Burke) who should all work well with the young bigs on this team. Most of the team is both athletic and skilled and the team is very young but made of hard workers (BJeli is the oldest at 30). They seem to just fit well together no matter who is on the court. You could throw numerous combinations in there and all the pieces seem to fit well together.

Now coming to Barnes, he was one of my FA targets. He has the ability to stretch the floor (better than shumpert could) and has the body to be a solid defender if he wants to be. I think in Dallas he was asked to do too much on the offense and that isnt an appropriate role for him. He will be option 3 behind Buddy and Fox and unlike Dallas, the Kings have numerous players to take the pressure off of him on offense with Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Bagley, Bogi and even WCS and Bejelli able to drop 15-20pts on peoples head in a given night, and do it consistently. That hopefully will allow him the ability to focus more on defense. He has the potential and is only 27.

You now have 7 people shooting reasonably high percentage from the 3...this team is now able to put tremendous pressure on the opposing defenses and you literally cannot leave anyone 1-10 without paying for it. I really think this team will be better than it was and i see them pushing for a 7th or 8th seed. They will overtake LAC and I could see them pushing Utah or the Spurs.

Sorry for the erratic post but... Ahhhh!!! im excited!!!