Jerry Buss passes away - cancer

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
The Los Angeles Times reported that Buss, 80, has an undisclosed form of cancer. The paper said he has spent time in the intensive care unit at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, citing "multiple team personnel."

Buss
Buss has been in and out of the hospital for the past two years. The Lakers confirmed he was in the hospital in December 2011 for blood clots in his leg, which they said was caused by excessive travel.
Buss has passed the day-to-day operation of the team on to his children, Jim (who oversees basketball operations) and Jeanie (who oversees the business side of the franchise). He was involved, however, in the offseason acquisition of Steve Nash and Dwight Howard, and in the in-season coaching move that fired Mike Brown and hired Mike D'Antoni.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ry-buss-los-angeles-lakers-owner-hospitalized

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My heartfelt condolences to his family and Laker fans. You have to wonder if his son can even begin to adequately fill his shoes.

Rest in peace, Dr. Buss.

It was sad watching and listening to so many players, past and present, telling stories of the good doctor. We are all afraid of what Jim's going to do to the team, and wishing that it was Jeanie taking major control instead. Magic pretty much said it, and it's what all of us were thinking.

Warhawk

Staff member
It was sad watching and listening to so many players, past and present, telling stories of the good doctor. We are all afraid of what Jim's going to do to the team, and wishing that it was Jeanie taking major control instead. Magic pretty much said it, and it's what all of us were thinking.
For those of us that don't follow all the media for our "most hated" team, what did he say?

After talking about Dr. Buss's innovations in the league and stuff, he talked about how Jeanie had the same mindset as her dad...very competitive, will spend good money to win, cares about the guys as people and not just players...then he said he hoped that she could help to get the team back on track to more championships...he didn't mention Jim at all.

Now, as a fan, I will say that I don't think there are many owners left in sports like Dr. Buss anymore. And that's too bad. What he did for Ronny Turiaf in 2005 isn't the first time he had done something like that. (Drafted him...found a heart problem...were forced to void his contract, but still paid for his surgery and rehab. in the hopes that he would recover enough to be re-signed.)

Buss also did a similar thing back in the 60's with Walt Hazzard...From Rasheed Hazzard ...""We always told Dr. Buss at the games that he kept my dad alive. He gave him a reason to live. That's what Dr. Buss understood. He understood people. That was his gift and why you would run through a wall for him, because he understood people and took care of people. He got Jerry West to sign [my dad] to a contract when he was about to go into open heart surgery with a chance to die. Dr. Buss wanted him to have a three-year extension just in case so my mom would be taken care of and she wouldn't have to struggle for anything. That's the kind of guy he is. A great guy. Loyal. A loyal friend and great owner. The greatest owner in sports history. I don't know if anybody can really argue that."

Warhawk

Staff member
After talking about Dr. Buss's innovations in the league and stuff, he talked about how Jeanie had the same mindset as her dad...very competitive, will spend good money to win, cares about the guys as people and not just players...then he said he hoped that she could help to get the team back on track to more championships...he didn't mention Jim at all.

Now, as a fan, I will say that I don't think there are many owners left in sports like Dr. Buss anymore. And that's too bad. What he did for Ronny Turiaf in 2005 isn't the first time he had done something like that. (Drafted him...found a heart problem...were forced to void his contract, but still paid for his surgery and rehab. in the hopes that he would recover enough to be re-signed.)

Buss also did a similar thing back in the 60's with Walt Hazzard...From Rasheed Hazzard ...""We always told Dr. Buss at the games that he kept my dad alive. He gave him a reason to live. That's what Dr. Buss understood. He understood people. That was his gift and why you would run through a wall for him, because he understood people and took care of people. He got Jerry West to sign [my dad] to a contract when he was about to go into open heart surgery with a chance to die. Dr. Buss wanted him to have a three-year extension just in case so my mom would be taken care of and she wouldn't have to struggle for anything. That's the kind of guy he is. A great guy. Loyal. A loyal friend and great owner. The greatest owner in sports history. I don't know if anybody can really argue that."
Thanks for elaborating. I appreciate it.