Ja in trouble again

I've read more comments than I intended to about this (not here - on Twitter, RealGM, other boards etc) and lots of people are throwing out the 2nd Amendment, whether Ja was in a state that allowed open carry, why this is any different than an athlete taking a picture while hunting, personal freedoms etc.

Let's just sidestep the politics and legality here. The reality is that he's hurting the NBA's image and it's brand, and that equates to a lot of money.

Had this happened in isolation, it'd be a bad look and the NBA would likely talk to him about it privately. But given that it comes on the heels of the Grizzlies and the NBA doing everything they could as damage control after a much more serious incident (flashing a gun in a public place while apparently under the influence) as well as other off the court allegations and you have to imagine the Memphis front office and NBA league office are incredulous at this point.

This isn't about what is legal or not. It's about blatantly doing exactly what your employer told you not to do.
As a believer in ALL amendments, even though I am not a gun person or collector or a believer in assault weapons, I can kinda sorta see the angle of the argument you've seen being made elsewhere. But not so much in this situation, largely for reasons you've already made.

In theory, Ja and every other player have the right to express themselves on their social media platforms however they see fit. However those expressions can and often do incur consequences. Because the NBA and every other employer have the right to let their employees know that they believe the individuals expression is in conflict with their own interests and further have the right to take appropriate action according to their own guidelines and rules and, of course, what's permitted under the law.

Already knowing what the outcome was a few months ago when he did the same thing, repeating the action is quite alarming to say the least. Flippant and tone deaf immediately comes to mind.

I can think of a young, talented point guard that the NBA could build a brand around who doesn't seem to have these sort of off-court issues.
100%.

I was a huge proponent of the KINGS drafting Swipa back in 2017 and then in 2019 when seemingly everyone was riding the Zion train I stated that I believed Ja would be the best player from that draft. As often as I've been wrong, I think I got those evals right.

That said, I still always felt De'Aaron was and would be the better player of the two. And based off this past season when De'Aaron was surrounded by the right type of talent and offensive system, I still stand by that assessment.

While Ja may do some more jaw dropping (pun intended) things that garner Nat'l attention, I firmly believe that De'Aaron is the better all-around player. And for that reason, he's the better candidate to build a brand around. But even more so given what's been transpiring the past few months with Ja Morant.

IMO the NBA should pivot -- IMMEDIATELY.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lengthy suspension is coming…..perhaps the entire year or maybe a 50 game. Didn’t Javaris Crittendon get a 50 game before?
Crittenton and Arenas got suspended for the remainder of that season which worked out to 38 games plus the ones Arenas was previously held out of. I believe Crittenton was injured at the time.

But they both brought guns into the locker room as part of a dispute they were having. Morant merely flashing a gun in a car isn't as big of an offense. The issue is that this comes on the heels of him already being disciplined for the same type of dumb behavior. I'm guessing 10-20 games. I think the NBA would have a hard time justifying more than that honestly.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Crittenton and Arenas got suspended for the remainder of that season which worked out to 38 games plus the ones Arenas we previously held out of. I believe Crittenton was injured at the time.

But they both brought guns into the locker room as part of a dispute they were having. Morant merely flashing a gun in a car isn't as big of an offense. The issue is that this comes on the heels of him already being disciplined for the same type of dumb behavior. I'm guessing 10-20 games. I think the NBA would have a hard time justifying more than that honestly.
Dude got 6 and already, almost immediately spat right in the NBA’s face.

Minimum should be one more than the amount to allow him to get All-NBA. Send a message by hitting him in the checkbook.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude got 6 and already, almost immediately spat right in the NBA’s face.

Minimum should be one more than the amount to allow him to get All-NBA. Send a message by hitting him in the checkbook.
15 games would likely do that as he could only miss 2 extra games to still be eligible under the new guidelines. 20 games would definitely do it.

What will be interesting is if Morant and the NBAPA try to appeal whatever punishment is ultimately handed down.

Last season the NBA certainly seemed to be trying to help Morant navigate the fallout from the incident in Denver. I think an appeal of their decision would end that. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Trying to think what the NBA might be thinking is difficult as many people will be involved but in the end they also know that Ja is messing with the image of the product and that will not fly. If Stern was still the Commish, I’d expect a lengthy suspension after the previous incident. Is Adam Silver going to step up to the plate and deliver something with teeth?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron Artest got 86 game suspension for his participation infamous "Malice at the Palace."
True, but this is so vastly different it's hard to compare. The only common thread is the damage to the NBA's reputation/marketing.

What Morant did was dumb, ESPECIALLY after just getting suspended for similar dumb behavior. But he was in a parked car, displaying a (hopefully) legal firearm, nowhere near an NBA arena or facility.

That's just a whole world apart from Artest and other Pacers jumping into the stands and punching fans.

True, but this is so vastly different it's hard to compare. The only common thread is the damage to the NBA's reputation/marketing.

What Morant did was dumb, ESPECIALLY after just getting suspended for similar dumb behavior. But he was in a parked car, displaying a (hopefully) legal firearm, nowhere near an NBA arena or facility.

That's just a whole world apart from Artest and other Pacers jumping into the stands and punching fans.
Depending on the state he was in there could potentially be several legal violations from illegal transportation, illegal concealed carry, brandishing to name a few.

On a positive point, at least he had good finger control and his finger wasn't on the trigger.

man you know you fked up really bad when the name Javaris Crittenton is getting brought up in reference to you...

Crittenton was just released from prison?!?! His 23 year sentence was reduced to 10 and he got out on April 21st 2023... I can't believe hes been released already.. thats messed up..

They are vastly different, agreed.

As for Morant's juvenile behavior, I don't believe it matters whether it was legal or not. It only matters whether the NBA believes it violates their standards of behavior and conduct and/or harms their brand (plus there is the additional factor of this being a repeat offense).

For example, if Morant had written something on social media that was widely considered to be "hate speech" it wouldn't matter that it was legal and protected from government censorship and/or punishment under the 1st amendment. The NBA is a private company that, if permitted by the terms negotiated in their the CBA, can severe ties with him or enact punishment for a myriad of reasons having nothing to do with legality.

Another complicating factor is how big a name Ja Morant is. If this were some no-name 11th or 12th man, the end result would likely be easier to predict. But since this is one of their "stars" that helps generate lots of $$$ he may very well continue to get more leeway than he should.