It's Giants Season!!! (The Official SF Giants Thread)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Well the preseason is finally over, and Giants season is ready to kick itself off in about 2 days! Plenty of storylines will be brewing throughout the season, including (But not limited to)...

---> Barry's historic chase of Hank Arron...Which he will break sometime before the All-Star Break!

---> Will the other Barry prove his worth? Or was his contract nothing more than an attempt to make it seem like the Giants are willing to spend money.

---> Will the rest of the lineup perform to decent enough standards to help win?

---> When will Tim Lincecum replace Matt Morris?

---> Why does the bullpen suck so bad?

---> (Generic joke about the general age averaging near the mid-40's)

And more!

Im optimistic about it, so lets kick it off!

I love the Giants, but I think it's gonna be a long season. Barry's persuit of the HR record will dominate their season.

I think the team has a lot of holes that they didn't address in the offseason. Our offense might be pretty mediocre to bad.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Im strangely optimistic.

I think that while we won't pound the cover off the ball with HR's, we will small-ball our way to lots of runs...Everyone in our line-up can hit the ball.

And I have a feeling by season's end Ryan Klesko is going to be huge.

It's definitly not the offense Im not concerned about.

If our bullpen can somehow hold up, I legitimately see us contending for the West.

I hope they can keep my interest this year. Last year was almost like the Kings to me of this year. Not as bad but I didn't enjoy last season very much. Cain was pretty much the only enjoyment I got.

Giants Preseason Review

The biggest question clearly was our bullpen. And after an entire spring training we still do not have an answer. However, Benitez is looking good. Despite the fact he lost a few mph on his fastball, he has fully resurrected his slider and he is looking healthy. Impressive statline, just want to see it consistently.

Benitez: 9.1 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 12 K

Rest of bullpen: Taschner, Sanchez, Chulk, Kline, Hennessey, Correia.

None of them did very well in spring. The minors are holding Lincecum, Wilson, Atchison, Giese, Misch, Sadler, Matos, Cortes and Anderson. I look for about 2 or 3 exchanges to be made throughout the season. There is a lot of potential brewing down in the AAA's so the pressure is on the guys currently on the team.

As for the starting rotation there was a sweet surprise. Many scouts said that Russ Ortiz has regained his form and the Giants gave him a chance to prove just that. And he took advantave posting a better ERA(3.00) than Zito(3.13). Pitching in the cool, comfy confines of AT&T will only help all of our starters. Cain and Lowry are still works in progress while Morris did not look good at all. I don't care how YOU look at it, I expect us to have one of the best starting rotations in all of baseball.

Now on to the starting lineup. This year should be fun and I fully expect the guys to take the load off of our pitchers.

Projected starting day lineup:

Roberts
Vizquel
Bonds
Durham
Aurilia
Feliz
Molina
Winn

Roberts is a true leadoff hitter. Vizquel and Dave already have good chemistry and I look for them to lead the team. Along with Barry of course. Barry hit a homer in less than 7 AB's in spring. He is looking healthy and full of vigor. Boch wants to bat him 3rd which I hope changes, because Aurilia had his best career year batting 3rd in front of Bonds. "Sugar Ray" Durham is looking good batting 5th. Feliz, believe it or not, is actually walking more often and is taking pitches to the opposite field. If he steps up in the clutch we could move Ray to 3rd and have Pedro bat 5th. Molina is a veteran and Winn will be a great swich-hitter that will be better on the basepads for our pitcher at-bats.

A look at the Bench: Linden and Niekro showed that they wanted to stay in spring and they earned it. Linden will provide much needed depth for our older outfield and Niekro will give us more infield flexibility being that we have Aurilia. I look for Klesko to have a big year. He will get some great opportunities to produce off the bench and he looks healthy which is great for us. Only Frandsen batted below .300 in spring -- Linden(.353), Niekro(.362), Klesko(.357), Alfonzo(.314). We are looking solid offensively.

What to look for in '07-'08:

Benitez -- will he stay our closer?

Bullpen -- can they pull it together?

Bonds -- how many more home runs than Hank will he have?

Ortiz -- will he stay true to his newfound self?

Morris -- will he rebound?

Cain -- will he continue to be the our very own phenom?

Lowry -- consistency?

Bench/Starters -- will they stay healthy?

All in all it should be an exciting year.

I hope they can keep my interest this year. Last year was almost like the Kings to me of this year. Not as bad but I didn't enjoy last season very much. Cain was pretty much the only enjoyment I got.
Well if the home opener is any indication of what's to come, then I'm not going to be very interested. 7-0 Padres Final Score.

Please people there are 161 games left. The Giants never start off blazin'.

Zito looked good and was the victim of a rare IF error.

Sanchez was the only pitcher who didn't do well and his stuff was there.

Peavy could have blanked any team the way he pitched today.

PFF. Maybe the long opening ceremonies wore the old guys out but Feliz is still chasing garbage.. did you see that strikeout in the 7th.. ball four was a foot outside and he swung. He also made an error.

The Padres were getting doubles and triples on our weak old arms in the outfield.

It looked just like last year. Boring nonchalant baseball.

That said, I'm not jumping ship but if this team does this regularly like last year, I'll lose any interest.

Here's what we do with the Feliz situation: Move Aurilia to 3B and start Klesko/Niekro at 1B. If Pedro snaps out of it then you can insert him back into the starting lineup. Otherwise we are better off with him out of there.

My ideal lineup:

Roberts
Vizquel
Aurilia
Bonds
Durham
Klesko/Niekro
Linden/Winn
Molina

Well I'm glad they sat Feliz tonight. Klesko looks pretty nice at 1st base. I might like this.

Quick story.. About 10 years ago a couple buddies and I were in the bleachers at Candlestick and before the game we heckled the hell out of Klesko. He was getting pissed. lol Greg Maddux came over and started firing pitches at the wall, making it look like he was going to hit us.

Yeah, sit Feliz and Winn and play Klesko and Linden.

Roberts
Vizquel
Durham
Bonds
Klesko
Aurilia
Linden
Molina

.....say word.

Who would've thought that Matty Mo would have a better 1st start than Zito and Cain?

And Cain and Zito both pitched well...

Now we just need Lowry to get his confidence back.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Zito looked great today...

:rolleyes:

And here's what the regular lineups/pitching rotation should be should be.

1: Roberts (CF)
2: Visquel (SS)
3: Klesko (1B)
4: Bonds (LF)
5: Durham (2B)
6: Aurilia (3B)
7: Molina (C)
8: Linden (RF)
9: Pitcher

With Feliz being the utility infielder/emergency 5th outfielder and Winn being the roving utility outfielder to help keep Roberts/Bonds fresh...Neither of those two have any excuse starting consistently.

On a side note, I took my girlfriend to her first Giants game on Wednesday...She was amazed at how much the Giants fans hated all the Dodgers and their fans...And it's never fun to watch them lose to the Dodgers in person...Especially when there was so many freaking LA fans there!

Last edited:
Heh. Now that's a rivalry that will never die. Funny that it's close to 50-50 all-time.

New projected lineup:

Roberts
Vizquel
Aurilia
Bonds
Durham
Klesko
Molina
Linden

The top two are no brainers. Vizquel is starting off slow but that means nothing now. Once he gets going he's like a well-oiled engine. I say we bat Richie third. He had his career year batting third in front of Barry in 2001. His stats: .324 with 37 HR and 97 RBI. I know you can't turn back the clock per-se, but even a drop from those stats is fine by me. I guess I could go with a swap of Klesko/Richie but I think the speed would do us better in front of Barry.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Wow...I thought that we would be decent enough offensively to overcome the obvious power-outage.

Clearly I was very very wrong.

And Feliz is just terrible.

And Randy Winn should never have been given that huge contract.

And Matt Cain WILL throw a no-hitter this year...Count on it.

There are over 150 more games so I'm not hoping on any new bandwagon. Cain pitched great. I straight up just felt bad for the kid tonight. I mean once I saw Frandsen pinch-run for Molina I knew it was over. But it's okay. This is why we got Rich Aurilia. Who NEEDS to be batting THIRD. Boch' will figure it out. It will get to a point where Niekro, Klesko and Linden will be vying for a starting spot (or two) at this rate. And that might just be exactly what we need. Bochy has been successful grooming young talent in the past and I think it will happen to us too.

I have confidence in Sanchez. I think he will develop to become a reliable leftey option.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Here's what to do to get 1/2 of my "Get Feliz and Winn out of SF" campaign.

When Mark Sweeney is able to come off the DL, the Giants need to DFA Feliz...Try to get anything for him at this point, because I am sick of watching him...Best case, we get a mid-level prospect/AAAA player who has a slight chance of busting out and being marginal/useful...Worst case, no one trades for him and we lose him to waivers, but that's not an issue because it's addition by subtraction.

Then you shift Aurilia to third, start Klesko at first, have Sweeney be the backup 1B/emergency 5th outfielder and have Kevin Frandsen as the super utility infielder.

That way we keep the happy clubhouse, pinch-hitting presence in Mark Sweeney and also get Feliz off our team...And the more AB's Klesko gets, the better!

GO GIANTS!

I was just watching BSPN, because the Niners were 'on the clock', and afterwords they were talking about Brad Lidge looking for a change in scenery.

Armando for Lidge anyone?

I'd give him another chance. Lidge trying to become a dominant closer again is still better than some of what we got.

Maybe we could trade Pedro Feliz and Armando Benitez for Brad Lidge and Mark Loretta. If they don't bite then we offer Feliz and Noah Lowry. I'd be willing to part with Lowry since we have Tim Lincecum.

I was just watching BSPN, because the Niners were 'on the clock', and afterwords they were talking about Brad Lidge looking for a change in scenery.

Armando for Lidge anyone?

I'd give him another chance. Lidge trying to become a dominant closer again is still better than some of what we got.

Maybe we could trade Pedro Feliz and Armando Benitez for Brad Lidge and Mark Loretta. If they don't bite then we offer Feliz and Noah Lowry. I'd be willing to part with Lowry since we have Tim Lincecum.
You really want Lidge now? I've been to way too many Astros games and watched Lidge just blow it.

Basically here's what happened. Lidge throws two pitches. A near 100 mph fastball and a slider. When Lidge dominated, his slider and fastball looked nearly identical. The difference of course was that at the last second the slider would just drop and completely mess you up.

Nowadays, his slider has this weird hump to it so its easy to spot. So people are just torching his fastballs and ignoring his sliders. It's been like that for two years now and it's getting worse.

He's finished in my opinion but we'd be more than happy to take young talent for him. (and to think we were minutes away from dealing him and some crap for Miguel Tejada... shucks)

You really want Lidge now? I've been to way too many Astros games and watched Lidge just blow it.

Basically here's what happened. Lidge throws two pitches. A near 100 mph fastball and a slider. When Lidge dominated, his slider and fastball looked nearly identical. The difference of course was that at the last second the slider would just drop and completely mess you up.

Nowadays, his slider has this weird hump to it so its easy to spot. So people are just torching his fastballs and ignoring his sliders. It's been like that for two years now and it's getting worse.

He's finished in my opinion but we'd be more than happy to take young talent for him. (and to think we were minutes away from dealing him and some crap for Miguel Tejada... shucks)
Interesting. Thanks for the inside take.

I'd be willing to give Lidge a chance to re-discover himself. I mean we gave Benitez a shot so why not? It's not like we have any kids that are seriously in contention to close. Plus we have been known to take on pitchers that have lost their touch (most recently Russ Ortiz). If Houston really feels like his value is in the toilet then maybe they'd be willing to give Benitez a shot. A Benitez/Feliz for Lidge/Ensberg or Lidge/Loretta trade sounds workable.

Pedro Feliz - 1yr/5.7 mil
Armando Benitez - on last year of contract/7.6 mil (this year)

Brad Lidge - 1yr/5.3 mil
Morgan Ensberg - 1yr/4.35 mil
or
Mark Loretta - 1yr/2.5 mil

We eat the difference in cost and get a servicable 3rd baseman not named Pedro Feliz. It seems low risk for Houston too because both Feliz and Armando's contracts expire at the end of the season. Armando is healthy right now giving them a veteran to fall back on and Pedro might benefit from a different clubhouse.

Very intriguing.

Woohoo!

I'll take a win any way I can get it. Friggin' Benitez. That is exactly why we should pursue Lidge or ANYONE else. Matty Mo looked good. He was getting ripped on some calls but he made quality pitches when it really counted. He just looks different than last year. Hope it lasts. Correia gave up that lead off solo shot and I was thinking, no! Not Kevin! And he comes back with 4 strikeouts, 1 popout and 1 groundout to kill the 7th and 8th. He didn't falter one bit after making one mistake and getting taken deep.

And how about scoring some runs with Pedro on the pine and Richie in the 3 spot. And finally it looks like Vizquel has it dialed.